Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350963 times)

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #735 on: March 16, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »
As a friend quoted, "no matter how good an artist, music is not mathematics, your ability without public approval stays with you. And gratitude to your fans, it is not logic  "clientelist."
This sentence is brilliant.

Sorry I can't let this go! In fact, Music is similarly like Mathematics in that; your ability with or without public approval, is the same.

It's a subtle point that a significant proportion of the 7 billion people, currently on the planet, have objective abilities without public (i.e. celebrated) approval. These same people have sons & donkeys.
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #736 on: March 16, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »
Good Lord, the level of negativity on this site is really quite staggering. It's just never-ending. Setlists, flutes and pipes, guitar playing, RRHOF, length of time recording etc. It just goes on and on and on....

With all respect, but we already know you think this forum is very negative...There is no need for you to come here once in a while and say precisely that.

There are other forums where all are flowers and lollipops... spend your time in those and be happy...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #737 on: March 16, 2018, 08:26:30 AM »
It’s unfortunate, because a lot of the time there’s actually some enlightening conversation on here. Then there’s other times when it seems like a MK hater’s society.

You know what's so funny? I once liked and loved this place because exactly the same reason as you, the enlightening discussions and friendly people and stuff. But over the last couple of years more and more often people come up like you or Liz always critizing not MK but almost everything anyone said.. really, some of you appear like PC police or MK's lawyer, or better his Mother... it really spoils this place for me since months...  wrong understood political correctness and a not healthy  form of discussion culture and insane gender opinions ("...you guys") add to a new atmosphere of totally unrelaxed discussion form. I once said it, if you don't like the discussion level, come by and add something precious instead critizising others for their posts.

Discussion needs effort. Everything else is just talking.

Had to get this off my chest. Go on now and kill me.

LE

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #738 on: March 16, 2018, 08:30:00 AM »
As a friend quoted, "no matter how good an artist, music is not mathematics, your ability without public approval stays with you. And gratitude to your fans, it is not logic  "clientelist."
This sentence is brilliant.

Sorry I can't let this go! In fact, Music is similarly like Mathematics in that; your ability with or without public approval, is the same.

It's a subtle point that a significant proportion of the 7 billion people, currently on the planet, have objective abilities without public (i.e. celebrated) approval. These same people have sons & donkeys.

I'm sure there are many talented musicians with no public that can't make a living of it because nobody recognize their talent...

If the public hadn't paid any atention to DS music in the late 70's early 80's, MK wouldn't had been what he is now. Does he owes anything to fans? Maybe... they recognized his talent and bought his records and concerts tickets... what if public had ignored him instead?

Public is sometimes a little rare when it comes to recognize talented musicians... some are very fast forgotten, some are never recognized as much as they deserve, some are too much recognize according to their talent...

A musician without public recognition is nobody. A very talented nobody...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #739 on: March 16, 2018, 08:31:28 AM »
It’s unfortunate, because a lot of the time there’s actually some enlightening conversation on here. Then there’s other times when it seems like a MK hater’s society.

You know what's so funny? I once liked and loved this place because exactly the same reason as you, the enlightening discussions and friendly people and stuff. But over the last couple of years more and more often people come up like you or Liz always critizing not MK but almost everything anyone said.. really, some of you appear like PC police or MK's lawyer, or better his Mother... it really spoils this place for me since months...  wrong understood political correctness and a not healthy  form of discussion culture and insane gender opinions ("...you guys") add to a new atmosphere of totally unrelaxed discussion form. I once said it, if you don't like the discussion level, come by and add something precious instead critizising others for their posts.

LE

Exactly. Well said.

I insist, there are other forums where everything are flowes and lollipops, and where even MK farts smells like roses, try them and leave us have our freedom of expression...

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:36:42 AM by jbaent »

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #740 on: March 16, 2018, 08:46:24 AM »
I think he will make a statement in a video at the induction, let's see what he will say.

We are very different people in here, just check out the list of which albums we like the most! Quite interesting  :)
Think about your workplace: A colleague has experienced something bad, and the next day you hear a lot (too much) about it. Fair enough. Then you have the colleague where everything is wrong all the time; the weather, the computer programme, the lunch, the custumers, other colleagues, and on and on. A bit tiresome, right? :wave
This difference has become important to me personally, as I lost what I thought was friends of mine over it. I was disappointed and angry for a single day, and they could not accept it and I was not welcome anymore. Thankfully, people in here are allowed to have different opinions  :)

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #741 on: March 16, 2018, 08:53:37 AM »

This attitude of applauding anything our idol does is a bad thing, in the case of MK, his attitude not to touch with the DS in the RRHF is yet another example that he does not care about his fans, from the oldest to the youngest . Actually that's a shame, that's mediocre, all we'll see is a video of the band with at least 26 years ago? What is the ultility of this, youtube has any video that they present in this ceremony, this I am already bald of so much to watch! They are alive and able to play, they are musicians, what matters here are the songs and what they represent, besides the importance of the band, it is not for this same reason that MK still plays today SOS, R & J, TR, BIA, SFA , MFN, WOL (the most played of DS in the shows of his solo career)? When it is time to celebrate all this, he will turn his back, perhaps not be present, and appearing, will not have any performance of the band, will let no band perform a tribute to the DS interpreting some song. Anyway, this is not logical, it is contradictory, a joke dull and there are people finding coherence in this attitude on his part.

(And to think ...MK keeps working so that the DS remains underestimated, with the help of conformist fans, who applaud everything he does, no exceptions).

This world is getting weirder!  :think

Brunno (with double n) I can't take your input serious. Go back and check my posts on MK's stale setlists and my critical comments on some of the solo albums. Thats not exactly conformity.

Its ofcourse sad for all DS fans who was hoping for a performance or a pre-event statement. Personally I think a performance would have been fun, but I was never expecting it to happen. So I can accept it and look forward. Hopefully there will be another great MK tour and album. For those so unhappy with this, just dont support the next album or tour. Nobody is forcing you anyway.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #742 on: March 16, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »

" he will turn his back, perhaps not be present, and appearing, will not have any performance of the band, will let no band perform a tribute to the DS interpreting some song."

This from Guy's Forum:

Hi Doc.

There’s a rumor on the internet that Mark himself has forbidden any tribute song during the RRHOF ceremony.
I don’t believe in such thing, but on the last 20 years the man himself simply keeps denying his past. So, in a certain way, sadly, its possible that this rumor is true.

Guy:   " That rumour is of course nonsense."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:15:48 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #743 on: March 16, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
I feel MK took the easy way out of this by deciding not to attend the ceremony. That way he can make the easy excuse by video that he can't attend and therefore don't have to perform. He might even want to show up there but doesn't want to perform, and by fading out of the whole thing he doesn't have to explain why not to perform. He's been so long now in his comfort zone and doesn't want to come out of it in the public anyway. It's a shame though, I think the most interesting things happened when he really had to push himself to learn something new and progress. Maybe the musical will give some interesting tunes because that would seem to be a project where he really has to challenge himself. Anyway, it would've been really nice to see them on stage and take a swing of sultans for old times sake.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #744 on: March 16, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »
Anyway, it would've been really nice to see them on stage and take a swing of sultans for old times sake.

I think it would have been a disaster!  ::)   

I expect MK will just accept the induction by video link and give his reasons for being absent, with, maybe, a clip of a DS performance.   Guy, John and perhaps Alan will be in the audience.   On the other hand, he may decide to attend - we don't actually know yet, so it is all just speculation at the moment, but I can understand why he wouldn't want to attend and I respect his reasons.  :)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #745 on: March 16, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »
Anyway, it would've been really nice to see them on stage and take a swing of sultans for old times sake.

I think it would have been a disaster!  ::)   

I expect MK will just accept the induction by video link and give his reasons for being absent, with, maybe, a clip of a DS performance.   Guy, John and perhaps Alan will be in the audience.   On the other hand, he may decide to attend - we don't actually know yet, so it is all just speculation at the moment, but I can understand why he wouldn't want to attend and I respect his reasons.  :)   

Val... Sultans is usually a disaster... LOL

Actually, the difficult part is MK's part, rythmic is not so difficult and David had played thousands and thousand of times,so just refresh the chords would had been easy, the drums are not so difficult when a professional do it and Guy and Alan could had played along nicely as good as they are... I'm sure it would had sound at least so bad as the usual Sultans performances by MK and his band.

One of the DS inductees had told me by facebook that MK and DK are not attending, and not sure about John, Alan and Guy, but apparently they are so... unless MK changes his mind in the last moment...

As a matter of fact, he is really busy with the musical and the final touches for his upcoming record, but, it's also true, that if he really wish it, he can find a gap to go to a nice restaurant in Madrid and enjoy the delicious cooking of that area...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #746 on: March 16, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »
Jbaent - There are quite a few Sultans from recent years that I really enjoy and still listen to, especially those from 2010 and 2013 - notably Brighton 2010 and Manchester 2010.  Brighton was different to others, because it had part of the end solo from the long 1992 versions, so it's not necessarily a disaster!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #747 on: March 16, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »

LE

But girls are called "guys" too these days and anyway as the saying goes "if the cap fits, wear it"!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #748 on: March 16, 2018, 10:10:06 AM »
Jbaent - There are quite a few Sultans from recent years that I really enjoy and still listen to, especially those from 2010 and 2013 - notably Brighton 2010 and Manchester 2010.  Brighton was different to others, because it had part of the end solo from the long 1992 versions, so it's not necessarily a disaster!   ;)

"there are quite a few"

"from 2010 to 2013"

Funnily during the 2013 tour Sultans was left out from more than half of the tour, playing "Gator Blood" instead!!!!

I recall reading an Hal Lindes interview where he said that Sultans was a so great song that MK used to play the same solo night by night, note by note, exactly identical, to avoid the disaster of do a mess during the solo and offering the greatest experience in every show... things had changed a lot, LOL

I had to do a really big effort to recall one single SOS since 2005 that I thought it was good. I can recall some that I thought they were ok, but good... or excellent... since the STP tour... such a big effort that my head starts to ache.

I understand that he has to play to please the fans (please the fans?????) so I just suffer it in silence but... from I didn't enjoyed it since 2001 and I always wait the solo at the end with fear...

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #749 on: March 16, 2018, 10:14:58 AM »
Well, I was lucky enough to hear four in 2013 and enjoyed them all, but the ones in 2010 were better.   :) 
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 41 queries.