Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350705 times)

OfflineDon70

• Banned
  • Guitar George
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #930 on: March 23, 2018, 12:12:43 AM »
Sting is a full tilt diva, he loves being in the spotlight. I bet it’s gonna be him.

:thumbsup

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #931 on: March 23, 2018, 02:23:04 AM »
Sting is a full tilt diva, he loves being in the spotlight. I bet it’s gonna be him.

In recent years, Sting has mentioned a number of times how proud he felt that ‘Roxanne’ and ‘Sultans of Swing’ made it onto American radio at the same time, as both Sting and MK had come from Newcastle. I think he would be a very natural choice to induct the band.

In any case, I personally think this whole Hall of Fame business is largely meaningless. They deserve every accolade of course, but Dire Straits left an indelible mark on rock history and they don’t need to be ‘stuffed and put in a museum’ (as Sting put it after The Police were inducted) in order to prove that point. If anything, I think it puts Mark in a slightly awkward position as he is not the sort of person who enjoys the limelight, which is half the reason why he went solo in the first place and is possibly one explanation as to why he has not, thus far, associated himself with this induction.

Added to that, in my opinion the sheer quality of Mark’s solo work far outstrips what he achieved with the Straits anyway, and he has consistently bettered himself as a musician and a songwriter over the last 22 years. Though it was clearly the most successful period of his career, Dire Straits is only really a fraction of the story.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:32:18 AM by Rolleyway Man »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #932 on: March 23, 2018, 08:44:27 AM »

In recent years, Sting has mentioned a number of times how proud he felt that ‘Roxanne’ and ‘Sultans of Swing’ made it onto American radio at the same time, as both Sting and MK had come from Newcastle. I think he would be a very natural choice to induct the band.

In any case, I personally think this whole Hall of Fame business is largely meaningless. They deserve every accolade of course, but Dire Straits left an indelible mark on rock history and they don’t need to be ‘stuffed and put in a museum’ (as Sting put it after The Police were inducted) in order to prove that point. If anything, I think it puts Mark in a slightly awkward position as he is not the sort of person who enjoys the limelight, which is half the reason why he went solo in the first place and is possibly one explanation as to why he has not, thus far, associated himself with this induction.

Added to that, in my opinion the sheer quality of Mark’s solo work far outstrips what he achieved with the Straits anyway, and he has consistently bettered himself as a musician and a songwriter over the last 22 years. Though it was clearly the most successful period of his career, Dire Straits is only really a fraction of the story.

Hey Pottel, now you can officialy close the topic after this brilliant post :clap :lol

Onlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #933 on: March 23, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »

..yes, straits is only a fraction of the story, without straits I doubt that he can did the life of last 25 years (expensive guitars, grove studios and etc).
He was, is and will be always deux ex machina of Dire Straits, in only 7 years his songs and music had won the world.
Respect for his decision to not go to hall. but IMO music is a place of peace where for five minutes you can put everything aside and give and give yourself another chance

:wave

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #934 on: March 23, 2018, 01:10:04 PM »
I respectfully disagree, Pottel. Everything Mark has now he got thanks to Dire Straits, including us his fans. His guitars, studio, cars, motorbikes, houses, even his wife and family. The only reason why Mark can afford this low profile yet successful solo career is because Dire Straits came first. He wouldn't have met Kitty either in case the band never existed. I really like Mark's solo stuff but I don't really know how much of this appreciation is due to my preexisting passion for Dire Straits.

As I said before, I don't think Mark should show up at the ceremony and perform if he's not comfortable with the situation, I totally understand him for that. I also think this whole thing is meaningless, especially if they don't even pay for your expenses. However, Dire Straits will always be Mark's peak. He's written wonderful songs and produced high quality albums ever since he shut the band down but let's face it, what he created during the DS years is unparalleled. Sultans of Swing, Romeo and Juliet, Telegraph Road, Brothers in Arms, just to name a few, those are far superior to any song Mark has recorded in his solo career. Of course he has now the best studio in human history at his disposal 24/7 but I'm not talking about recording quality. Both as songwriter and guitar player Mark came up with his ultimate masterpieces a long time ago. Does that mean his solo stuff isn't great? Of course not! It's brilliant! But he set the bar too high with DS and neglecting it doesn't feel right to me.

Just my opinion...
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 03:48:19 PM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #935 on: March 23, 2018, 03:07:04 PM »
Perhaps in the good british tradition of self-deprecation perhaps he could just make a big joke out of it. You know, show up with the neon glowing headband (and perhaps even a black spandex bodysuit - no video fx needed!), play MfN, tell the meathead joke and explain that it was all just a big mistake that he made it big with other people's lyrics and that we should all get over the fact that it's all over and long forgotten. I can't pretend that I know what's happening in his head when he hears the words Dire Straits but if I was to go to a ceremony like that I'd definitely wear at least the headband and quite possibly some "vintage" stage clothing.  :wave

You can't take life too seriously if you're in the position to do so.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #936 on: March 23, 2018, 03:51:34 PM »
I just realized it wasn't Pottel who wrote the comment I responded to. My appologies!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #937 on: March 23, 2018, 04:03:30 PM »
I respectfully disagree, Pottel. Everything Mark has now he got thanks to Dire Straits, including us his fans. His guitars, studio, cars, motorbikes, houses, even his wife and family. The only reason why Mark can afford this low profile yet successful solo career is because Dire Straits came first. He wouldn't have met Kitty either in case the band never existed. I really like Mark's solo stuff but I don't really know how much of this appreciation is due to my preexisting passion for Dire Straits.

As I said before, I don't think Mark should show up at the ceremony and perform if he's not comfortable with the situation, I totally understand him for that. I also think this whole thing is meaningless, especially if they don't even pay for your expenses. However, Dire Straits will always be Mark's peak. He's written wonderful songs and produced high quality albums ever since he shut the band down but let's face it, what he created during the DS years is unparalleled. Sultans of Swing, Romeo and Juliet, Telegraph Road, Brothers in Arms, just to name a few, those are far superior to any song Mark has recorded in his solo career. Of course he has now the best studio in human history at his disposal 24/7 but I'm not talking about recording quality. Both as songwriter and guitar player Mark came up with his ultimate masterpieces a long time ago. Does that mean his solo stuff isn't great? Of course not! It's brilliant! But he set the bar too high with DS and neglecting it doesn't feel right to me.

Just my opinion...
Nope. Many of his solo songs (deffo not all!) Would easily fit amongst the DS ones. Too lazy too name any now, pretty sure others on this forum will

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #938 on: March 23, 2018, 04:04:14 PM »
I just realized it wasn't Pottel who wrote the comment I responded to. My appologies!
No worries. Each their opinion.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #939 on: March 23, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »
So this is the scenario:

Dire Straits never existed, Mark Knopfler became an English teacher but kept developing his music skills as some sort of low profile side business. Nobody knows who he is. In 1996 he decides to launch an album (assuming that an English teacher could afford the studios and the musicians Mark hired) and Golden Heart is released. What do you guys think would come up next?

Being unrealistically optimistic, let's say Mark somehow managed to release the very same albums he's produced since DS got dissolved. We are now in 2018, how do you think his career would have developed up to this point? Remember, Dire Straits was never founded.

My guess is Mark would be a cult rocker, people would ask where the hell he was hiding all those years and stuff but he would never have what he has now, not even close. And I mean not only recognition but also (and maybe mainly) wealth. Dire Straits allowed Mark to do everything that came after, it's undeniable. As I said, I don't even know if I'd be a fan myself, I can't measure how much of my current admiration for Mark comes from a preexisting fandom condition.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:36:51 PM by Eddie Fox »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #940 on: March 23, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »
So this is the scenario:

Dire Straits never existed, Mark Knopfler became an English teacher but kept developing his music skills as some sort of low profile side business. Nobody knows who he is. In 1996 he decides to launch an album (assuming that an English teacher could afford the studios and the musicians Mark hired) and Golden Heart is released. What do you guys think would come up next?

Being unrealistically optimistic, let's say Mark somehow managed to release the very same albums he's produced since DS got dissolved. We are now in 2018, how do you think his career would have developed up to this point? Remember, Dire Straits was never founded.

My guess is Mark would be a cult rocker, people would ask where the hell he was hiding all those years and stuff but he would never have what he has now, not even close. And I mean not only recognition but also (and maybe mainly) wealth. Dire Straits allowed Mark to do everything that came after, it's undeniable. As I said, I don't even know if I'd be a fan myself, I can't measure how much of my current admiration for Mark comes from a preexisting fandom condition.
This theory is irrelevant, he is who he has become. Does not change his actual musical quality

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
« Reply #941 on: March 23, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »
Notable awards that he received include a few Grammy nominations for his DS work (Sultans I think) and then of course one Grammy that he actually received (or in fact DS did) for Money for Nothing (best rock duo performance). There was another Grammy for Brothers in arms for best short music video, not received my Mark himself. There was also a third Grammy but that one was for best engineered non-classical recording and was received by Dorfsman. And a fourth for best engineered surround album, again not received by Mark.

On top of this single Grammy for DS work he received 3 more for his collaborations with Chet Atkins and another nomination for his collaboration with Emmylou Harris (best folk rock album).

Local Hero was also nominated for BAFTA film awards and The Princess Bride for another Grammy award. None were received.

Other than that his solo work went largely unnoticed. I'm sure he liked it that way, unfortunately if I may add.

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #942 on: March 23, 2018, 07:12:54 PM »

TRUTH
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

OfflineTrawlerman

• Local Hero
« Reply #943 on: March 23, 2018, 07:30:50 PM »
Most songs are considered masterpieces because of his guitar work. The songs themselves, well, if you get rid of the guitar many songs are not that impressive and many of them pretty basic. I don't expect anyone to agree with that, but try and make a test.
Get rid of the guitar in MFN, BIA, R&J, etc, and you'll see, the songs are not THAT special. All the flavour and all the magic came from his fingers.

His solo work is way more elaborated, more complex, songwriting, arrangements, everything is on another level. Except his guitar playing.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #944 on: March 23, 2018, 08:37:29 PM »
Yeah, I do disagree lol

Just listen to Joan Baez singing Brothers in Arms or Garfunkel’s Why Worry. You might have had a point with Money for Nothing but then I think of its incredibly smart lyrics and amazingly well built chord progression and... nah. Romeo and Juliet is a masterpiece that not even the killers could kill. They tried hard though.

And as a guitarist I don’t think his solo stuff is more complex than DS material, at least not from the music structure perspective.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 39 queries.