Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350756 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1485 on: April 19, 2018, 08:27:25 PM »
Guy's attendance is the biggest mystery to me. I thought, as a man who works with MK side by side for almost 40 years, he would also ignore it. But he went, he collected the award and presented it to him. And it was a "tough weekend" even for John. Man, this all is screwed beyond belief.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1486 on: April 19, 2018, 09:36:51 PM »
Kramo: May I know, what was Mark honest reaction, when you gave him to his award from the RRHOF?

GF: best not

----------------

Mark is consistent :)

I'd say rude...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineasouza

• Guitar George
« Reply #1487 on: April 19, 2018, 10:18:34 PM »
GF:

"Mark and John have remained very close friends throughout, but this weekend was tough"

Guy change answer:

"Mark and John have remained very close friends throughout."

Deleted last part. :hmm

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1488 on: April 19, 2018, 10:22:19 PM »
I only just made copy here :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 10:28:43 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #1489 on: April 19, 2018, 10:44:17 PM »
This story almost calls for popcorn!
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineDS

• Local Hero
« Reply #1490 on: April 19, 2018, 11:19:17 PM »
And it's funny because everyone knows what would take to stop it: a simple statement.  ::)
Tracker - Lucca 2015
DTRW - Lucca 2019

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #1491 on: April 19, 2018, 11:20:03 PM »
Guy seldom express dissenting opinion from Mark but this time is one of the few.

Dire Straits disbanded without saying "goodbye" or "one last time"...even years after. Stubborn Mark but not surprising.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1492 on: April 19, 2018, 11:51:11 PM »
And some people wanted the thread closed!

As an aside, this discussion wouldn't have been approved on the old mk-news forum. We don't claim to be perfect but discussions like this where people can express their views frankly are the very reason we established this forum.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #1493 on: April 20, 2018, 12:03:47 AM »
This whole thing is a mess.

GF being wrapped over the knuckles about "over sharing" on his page, AC - rephrasing his comments on his site....JI trying to be peacemaker.....everything goes back to MK and his can't be arsed attitude. 

Im not surprised a couple of artists turned down inducting DS - when they were told MK wasn't attending.  99.9% of the music industry would know that Dire Straits WERE MK

"Oh, so who is coming from the band"?

"Just the bass player and a couple of keyboard players...."

"Mark isnt coming....?"

"No"

"Nah - i think ill pass - that sounds weird"....

Yes, John did a great job, but he shouldn't have had to - as others have said, there doesn't seem to have ever been a time where a band wasn't inducted by someone famous.  Badly organised perhaps?  Yes, perhaps it was - but as artists pulled out from introducing the band....the remaining options were few and far between. 

MK's attitude is pretty poor.  Toys and Pram come to mind, MK is unnecessary stubborn and his inflexibility and doesn't do himself any favours in situations like this.  There is that great English phrase for any non English speakers here on the forum about not cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Over on the official page, there is a lot of hate right now - and I can kind of see their point.  Yes, it could be argued the R&RHOF is a bit cheesy, BUT it is an acknowledgement of a band's accomplishments - and as we all know MK WAS the band.  Hearing that it was "tough" and a "personal decision" is all a bit "Boo-hoo" to me and i don't really care - i think its pretty disrespectful there couldn't have even been a statement.  Thats all that would have been needed.  Jeez, DS wasnt THAT bad for MK - it made him a millionaire, gave him a platform, and yes while the band got too big and MK called it a day - if MK didn't want that level of notoriety he should have stuck to playing in pubs!  Another fantastic English proverb about having your cake and eating it too....! 

It didnt even have to be that awkward with a statement, or a prerecorded thank you from MK - not even attending the event, not seeing anyone else (Skeletons in closets etc) and not playing any sort of songs.....just a common decency "Thank You"

Im not sure in all my time on this forum (and the previous forum) that have i seen MK take so much criticism - i don't know, but this MAY hurt in the longterm.  Long term fans may decide that if MK cant thank them for album purchases and tour tickets.....why should they keep now lining MK's pockets with more tickets and album purchases....id be interested to see how this plays out in the long term... 

Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #1494 on: April 20, 2018, 12:37:46 AM »
GF:

"Mark and John have remained very close friends throughout, but this weekend was tough"

Guy change answer:

"Mark and John have remained very close friends throughout."

Deleted last part. :hmm

yes, Guy changed it, but we got him
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #1495 on: April 20, 2018, 12:49:20 AM »
Oh how I wish none of this Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame nonsense had never happened.

Offlinebasilbunting1108

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #1496 on: April 20, 2018, 03:34:22 AM »

GF being wrapped over the knuckles about "over sharing" on his page, AC - rephrasing his comments on his site....JI trying to be peacemaker.....everything goes back to MK and his can't be arsed attitude. 

Im not surprised a couple of artists turned down inducting DS - when they were told MK wasn't attending.  99.9% of the music industry would know that Dire Straits WERE MK

"Mark isnt coming....?"

"No"

Yes, John did a great job, but he shouldn't have had to - as others have said, there doesn't seem to have ever been a time where a band wasn't inducted by someone famous.  Badly organised perhaps?  Yes, perhaps it was - but as artists pulled out from introducing the band....the remaining options were few and far between. 

MK's attitude is pretty poor.  Toys and Pram come to mind, MK is unnecessary stubborn and his inflexibility and doesn't do himself any favours in situations like this.  There is that great English phrase for any non English speakers here on the forum about not cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Over on the official page, there is a lot of hate right now - and I can kind of see their point.  Yes, it could be argued the R&RHOF is a bit cheesy, BUT it is an acknowledgement of a band's accomplishments - and as we all know MK WAS the band.  Hearing that it was "tough" and a "personal decision" is all a bit "Boo-hoo" to me and i don't really care - i think its pretty disrespectful there couldn't have even been a statement.  Thats all that would have been needed.  Jeez, DS wasnt THAT bad for MK - it made him a millionaire, gave him a platform, and yes while the band got too big and MK called it a day - if MK didn't want that level of notoriety he should have stuck to playing in pubs!  Another fantastic English proverb about having your cake and eating it too....! 

It didnt even have to be that awkward with a statement, or a prerecorded thank you from MK - not even attending the event, not seeing anyone else (Skeletons in closets etc) and not playing any sort of songs.....just a common decency "Thank You"

Im not sure in all my time on this forum (and the previous forum) that have i seen MK take so much criticism - i don't know, but this MAY hurt in the longterm.  Long term fans may decide that if MK cant thank them for album purchases and tour tickets.....why should they keep now lining MK's pockets with more tickets and album purchases....id be interested to see how this plays out in the long term...

Maybe it's just me, but it really doesn't bother me that he didn't show. As long as he keeps putting out quality music and continues to tour, I'm happy.
Get the onions and the taters, rib eyes on the grill. Toothpicks and Luckys and a coffee refill.

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #1497 on: April 20, 2018, 04:03:31 AM »

"Mark isnt coming....?"

"No"

Maybe it's just me, but it really doesn't bother me that he didn't show. As long as he keeps putting out quality music and continues to tour, I'm happy.

Its awesome it doesn't bother you, unfortunately looking at the comments on the main site and the wider internet community, and many of the comments here....this situation has affected a lot of people - it REALLY didn't have to be like this.  Its like he went out of his way to pretend to be an ostrich and leave his head in the sand...!

I think the quality music will still be there for a few more albums yet, I just wonder if this feeling could bubble on in the background and leave a bad taste in people's mouths. 

Offlinebasilbunting1108

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #1498 on: April 20, 2018, 04:15:21 AM »

"Mark isnt coming....?"

"No"

Its awesome it doesn't bother you, unfortunately looking at the comments on the main site and the wider internet community, and many of the comments here....this situation has affected a lot of people - it REALLY didn't have to be like this.  Its like he went out of his way to pretend to be an ostrich and leave his head in the sand...!

I think the quality music will still be there for a few more albums yet, I just wonder if this feeling could bubble on in the background and leave a bad taste in people's mouths.

Do you think he's got a few more albums in him? The guy's almost 70...
Get the onions and the taters, rib eyes on the grill. Toothpicks and Luckys and a coffee refill.

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #1499 on: April 20, 2018, 04:31:29 AM »

"Mark isnt coming....?"

"No"

Do you think he's got a few more albums in him? The guy's almost 70...

Yeah, I think so....BB King for example was rocking well into his 80's....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 39 queries.