Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 351321 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1500 on: April 20, 2018, 07:11:19 AM »
This whole thing is a mess.

GF being wrapped over the knuckles about "over sharing" on his page, AC - rephrasing his comments on his site....JI trying to be peacemaker.....everything goes back to MK and his can't be arsed attitude. 

Im not surprised a couple of artists turned down inducting DS - when they were told MK wasn't attending.  99.9% of the music industry would know that Dire Straits WERE MK

"Oh, so who is coming from the band"?

"Just the bass player and a couple of keyboard players...."

"Mark isnt coming....?"

"No"

"Nah - i think ill pass - that sounds weird"....

Yes, John did a great job, but he shouldn't have had to - as others have said, there doesn't seem to have ever been a time where a band wasn't inducted by someone famous.  Badly organised perhaps?  Yes, perhaps it was - but as artists pulled out from introducing the band....the remaining options were few and far between. 

MK's attitude is pretty poor.  Toys and Pram come to mind, MK is unnecessary stubborn and his inflexibility and doesn't do himself any favours in situations like this.  There is that great English phrase for any non English speakers here on the forum about not cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Over on the official page, there is a lot of hate right now - and I can kind of see their point.  Yes, it could be argued the R&RHOF is a bit cheesy, BUT it is an acknowledgement of a band's accomplishments - and as we all know MK WAS the band.  Hearing that it was "tough" and a "personal decision" is all a bit "Boo-hoo" to me and i don't really care - i think its pretty disrespectful there couldn't have even been a statement.  Thats all that would have been needed.  Jeez, DS wasnt THAT bad for MK - it made him a millionaire, gave him a platform, and yes while the band got too big and MK called it a day - if MK didn't want that level of notoriety he should have stuck to playing in pubs!  Another fantastic English proverb about having your cake and eating it too....! 

It didnt even have to be that awkward with a statement, or a prerecorded thank you from MK - not even attending the event, not seeing anyone else (Skeletons in closets etc) and not playing any sort of songs.....just a common decency "Thank You"

Im not sure in all my time on this forum (and the previous forum) that have i seen MK take so much criticism - i don't know, but this MAY hurt in the longterm.  Long term fans may decide that if MK cant thank them for album purchases and tour tickets.....why should they keep now lining MK's pockets with more tickets and album purchases....id be interested to see how this plays out in the long term...

Maybe it's just me, but it really doesn't bother me that he didn't show. As long as he keeps putting out quality music and continues to tour, I'm happy.
Agree.
Also, so many people complained on here every year that the straits were still not inducted, year after year. Now they are just leave it at that

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #1501 on: April 20, 2018, 08:56:57 AM »
This has caused much more negative press in the US than in Europe so I wonder how the next possible US tour or promo of the new album will be affected?

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #1502 on: April 20, 2018, 09:02:22 AM »
This story almost calls for popcorn!
And some people wanted the thread closed!

As an aside, this discussion wouldn't have been approved on the old mk-news forum. We don't claim to be perfect but discussions like this where people can express their views frankly are the very reason we established this forum.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

What?

The whole untold yet slightly visible intrigued story is what I'm talking about. Not the discussion here.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:13:36 AM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1503 on: April 20, 2018, 09:05:14 AM »
If I asked everyone in my street if they knew who Mark Knopfler was, I know that I would get a blank look from them, because most people I know do not know who he is.   He has always been one of the most famous unknown rock stars and has never courted publicity and that's how he liked it, that's what I thought anyway, until now!     

This one simple act of not explaining his absence, or even thanking the HoF, has done more to bring him publicity with the media than almost anything else.   I doubt it was by design, but it has happened anyway and I'm sure he will have to deal with it in the near future - new album, musical, etc - the musical press will have a field day!

As someone said somewhere - bad publicity is better than no publicity, but I don't think MK would want it at the moment.

I always said that I would be an MK fan until I die and that still stands.  I love his music, it has been with me since the first time I heard it in 1982, but it will be difficult to forget what has happened, especially the hurt he has caused Guy and John, for whom I feel so sorry - I can only imagine how they feel and I sincerely hope they will all still be friends.   I have never thought MK was an angel who could do no wrong, definitely not, rather  he is in my mind a genius, but a very flawed genius and I have always accepted that.

I am now looking forward to the new album and tour and also the musical and I hope it will help erase, to some extent, what has happened.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:24:00 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #1504 on: April 20, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »
If I asked everyone in my street if they knew who Mark Knopfler was, I know that I would get a blank look from them, because most people I know do not know who he is.   He has always been one of the most famous unknown rock stars and has never courted publicity and that's how he liked it, that's what I thought anyway, until now!     

This one simple act of not explaining his absence, or even thanking the RoF, has done more to bring him publicity with the media than almost anything else.   I doubt it was by design, but it has happened anyway and I'm sure he will have to deal with it in the near future - new album, musical, etc - the musical press will have a field day!

As someone said somewhere - bad publicity is better than no publicity, but I don't think MK would want it at the moment.

I always said that I would be an MK fan until I die and that still stands.  I love his music, it has been with me since the first time I heard it in 1982, but it will be difficult to forget what has happened, especially the hurt he has caused Guy and John, for whom I feel so sorry - I can only imagine how they feel and I sincerely hope they will all still be friends.   I have never thought MK was an angel who could do no wrong, definitely not, rather  he is in my mind a genius, but a very flawed genius and I have always accepted that.

I am now looking forward to the new album and tour and also the musical and I hope it will help erase, to some extent, what has happened.

Well said, and agree with you.  I need to see him in his next tour.
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1505 on: April 20, 2018, 10:20:34 AM »
This whole thing is a mess.

GF being wrapped over the knuckles about "over sharing" on his page, AC - rephrasing his comments on his site....JI trying to be peacemaker.....everything goes back to MK and his can't be arsed attitude. 

Im not surprised a couple of artists turned down inducting DS - when they were told MK wasn't attending.  99.9% of the music industry would know that Dire Straits WERE MK

"Oh, so who is coming from the band"?

"Just the bass player and a couple of keyboard players...."

"Mark isnt coming....?"

"No"

"Nah - i think ill pass - that sounds weird"....

Yes, John did a great job, but he shouldn't have had to - as others have said, there doesn't seem to have ever been a time where a band wasn't inducted by someone famous.  Badly organised perhaps?  Yes, perhaps it was - but as artists pulled out from introducing the band....the remaining options were few and far between. 

MK's attitude is pretty poor.  Toys and Pram come to mind, MK is unnecessary stubborn and his inflexibility and doesn't do himself any favours in situations like this.  There is that great English phrase for any non English speakers here on the forum about not cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Over on the official page, there is a lot of hate right now - and I can kind of see their point.  Yes, it could be argued the R&RHOF is a bit cheesy, BUT it is an acknowledgement of a band's accomplishments - and as we all know MK WAS the band.  Hearing that it was "tough" and a "personal decision" is all a bit "Boo-hoo" to me and i don't really care - i think its pretty disrespectful there couldn't have even been a statement.  Thats all that would have been needed.  Jeez, DS wasnt THAT bad for MK - it made him a millionaire, gave him a platform, and yes while the band got too big and MK called it a day - if MK didn't want that level of notoriety he should have stuck to playing in pubs!  Another fantastic English proverb about having your cake and eating it too....! 

It didnt even have to be that awkward with a statement, or a prerecorded thank you from MK - not even attending the event, not seeing anyone else (Skeletons in closets etc) and not playing any sort of songs.....just a common decency "Thank You"

Im not sure in all my time on this forum (and the previous forum) that have i seen MK take so much criticism - i don't know, but this MAY hurt in the longterm.  Long term fans may decide that if MK cant thank them for album purchases and tour tickets.....why should they keep now lining MK's pockets with more tickets and album purchases....id be interested to see how this plays out in the long term...

Maybe it's just me, but it really doesn't bother me that he didn't show. As long as he keeps putting out quality music and continues to tour, I'm happy.

Exactly. For me too. Mark intrigue me yet more. Maybe I'm strange but 'life is strange'   ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #1506 on: April 20, 2018, 10:21:35 AM »

This one simple act of not explaining his absence, or even thanking the RoF, has done more to bring him publicity with the media than almost anything else.   I doubt it was by design, but it has happened anyway and I'm sure he will have to deal with it in the near future - new album, musical, etc - the musical press will have a field day!

This!

He will probably have to live with these questions during promotions for new things and it might not be a pretty picture.

Doesn't matter how many microphones that were used or extended flute solos that he wants to lift. He and the management will have to suffocate questions if there is going to be any interviews at all.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:24:28 AM by border_reiver »
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #1507 on: April 20, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »
I broadly agree with what Val has said. Personally I couldn’t give a rat’s arse about the Hall of Fame (though I certainly don’t begrudge Dire Straits being inducted) but I am more concerned as to how all of this might have affected MK’s relationship with the likes of Guy and John. Guy did say on his forum yesterday that the event ‘hasn’t changed a thing’, and I very much hope that is indeed the case so we can all move on from here and eventually put all of this unpleasantness behind us.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1508 on: April 20, 2018, 10:34:47 AM »
Yes I wonder the same.
If he wants to avoid questions, can he release a new album, going on a new tour, a musical etc... without any interview/promotion ?
I guess it will be tough during next months for his management...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1509 on: April 20, 2018, 11:01:44 AM »
Mark Knopfler is an intelligent guy.

"He’s incommunicado no comment to make
He’s saying nothing at all"

it on surely change  :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1510 on: April 20, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »
Promotion is going to be funny... the journalists will be asked by the management, by MK order, not to ask about the Hall Of Fame, and the journalist, if they are good and proffesional, will ask anyway...

The easiest thing would had been send a brief note and that would had been avoided what's coming...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1511 on: April 20, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »
I broadly agree with what Val has said. Personally I couldn’t give a rat’s arse about the Hall of Fame (though I certainly don’t begrudge Dire Straits being inducted) but I am more concerned as to how all of this might have affected MK’s relationship with the likes of Guy and John. Guy did say on his forum yesterday that the event ‘hasn’t changed a thing’, and I very much hope that is indeed the case so we can all move on from here and eventually put all of this unpleasantness behind us.

I agree with you, Rolleywayman, I couldn't give a damn about the HoF, but I am concerned about the fallout it will create with the press and relationships with John and Guy.  It would have been so easy for MK to have just made a statement that he couldn't attend because of pressure of work, etc, but it is the absolute silence that is so bewildering!   :hmm
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:23:22 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1512 on: April 20, 2018, 11:30:50 AM »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineplayhurt4

• Guitar George
« Reply #1513 on: April 20, 2018, 02:34:14 PM »
MK is one step away from behaving like Dylan, keeping his back to the audience while on stage. 

Where does the contempt for one's own fans come from...?  The hatred for the 'twiddly bits'? 

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #1514 on: April 20, 2018, 02:45:59 PM »
This story almost calls for popcorn!
And some people wanted the thread closed!

As an aside, this discussion wouldn't have been approved on the old mk-news forum. We don't claim to be perfect but discussions like this where people can express their views frankly are the very reason we established this forum.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

A few days i indeed thought it was the best. Wel not closing but perhaps just to let it be..... but i see the story goes on, Nothing wrong with that. I will be reading this thread and post if i want to  :wave

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 39 queries.