Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350707 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #1545 on: April 21, 2018, 11:03:32 PM »
God, I'm reading comments on mk.com ...

Offensive about MK on the official MK website? What's happening??? World and people... :hmm

Yes many negative comments
http://www.markknopfler.com/rock-roll-hall-of-fame-induction/

This is exactly what happens when you don't show up and don't even release an official comment explaining what's going on

Yes, but from the 44 comments at the moment, 34 are from only 3 people.   The person commenting most with 18!
Excellent point Val.

It's not like MK killed someone. Most normal fans know nothing of this controversy.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #1546 on: April 21, 2018, 11:24:35 PM »
here i'm with a warmth at my heart reading the comments. Common sense prevailed i would say!
I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
« Reply #1547 on: April 22, 2018, 12:35:33 AM »
i haven't read the comments on the official website ,
but.....
why does mark have to give a an official statement??,
if he doesn't want to go, he doesn't have to go
end of guys.  :)
if he feels uncomfortable in those situations , it doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate the award

at the end of the day ,were all just looking forward to the next the next album  and next time we can see him play live ,
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #1548 on: April 22, 2018, 01:00:57 AM »
The thing with these pathetic comments on the official site is that we must bear in mind that we will hear most from those with displeasure.  Those people completely happy with Mark are unlikely to comment at all so we have a tiny percentage of dissatisfied fans complaining on there.

The only quibble I have is that he didn't issue an official statement.  Nothing to put me off at all.

Exactly my point. All he had to do was to drop a few lines as soon as the induction was announced and everything would be just fine. Then a little thank you video to be presented at the ceremony to wrap it up. As I said, when John and Guy openly express their disappointment that’s because you really did screw up.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1549 on: April 22, 2018, 01:49:35 AM »
Soooooooo, I've found some time to finally check out the speech. Obviously, John and Guy aren't idiots and if they care so much about this award, this is for a reason. But it's amazing how many people care about the award and hate the award at the same time.

To me, this thing called Blah-Blah Hall Of Fame is useless, because fame isn't cool. I think Hollywood with its Walk Of Fame did a much better job in immortalizing people's achievements. At least it's a real monument in stone available for fans, and not a some kind of a figurine you're supposed to put on a shelf like a gym teacher in school.

This award is for fans. Okay, I get it, so... What I get out of this? Literally nothing. All I get as a fan is this line in Wikipedia: "The band were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018." and this is literally IT. Dire Straits had more songs than the number of characters is in this statement.

Personally I'm not a fan of all this hype around DS. I'm not a fan of "Sultans Of Swing", because this thing got so overplayed and overhyped that sometimes this song makes me think about Dire Straits as a one-hit wonder. Sultans Of Swing, Sultans Of Swing, Sultans Of Swing, Sultans Of Swing. Put Sultans Of Swing in the title of your video and you're guaranteed to get views on YouTube. Play it on any instrument possible, make an instrumental out of this melody-less rap-rock song, yeah.

I feel bad that one of the best bands out there gets one of the worst treatments out there as well. I think tribute bands can play better, I think ex-band members can behave better, I think the record companies can do better with all the official material available and release better compilations with real treats for fans.

I can go on and on, but it amazes me that each year DS as a brand (!) gives me more headaches than happiness.

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #1550 on: April 22, 2018, 03:36:28 AM »
God, I'm reading comments on mk.com ...

Offensive about MK on the official MK website? What's happening??? World and people... :hmm

Yes many negative comments
http://www.markknopfler.com/rock-roll-hall-of-fame-induction/

This is exactly what happens when you don't show up and don't even release an official comment explaining what's going on

Yes, but from the 44 comments at the moment, 34 are from only 3 people.   The person commenting most with 18!
Excellent point Val.

It's not like MK killed someone. Most normal fans know nothing of this controversy.

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

Agreed. Most people outside of the immediate fan base probably won’t even know that Dire Straits are now in the Hall of Fame. I only know of about three bands that are in there myself. It really makes very little, if any difference to how the band will be perceived. And in all reality, most people are aware of Dire Straits, but are considerably less likely to have heard of Mark Knopfler so if any damage has occurred here in terms of public perception, it is probably quite limited.

OfflineWailing

• Guitar George
« Reply #1551 on: April 22, 2018, 03:53:56 AM »
Long time lurker. First post so much respect to all members who have contributed so much to this forum where I have not. Just wanted to get this off my chest. From someone who has considered MK my greatest musical hero, put me in the camp of those who are incredibly disappointed in how MK has handled this entire matter. Couldn’t agree more with Eddie, Jbaent and others. This has nothing to do with the legitimacy of the RRHOF, how cool it is to snub this institution. I never gave a darn about a DS reunion. To me it’s just about human decency. I have no problem with him not attending, but with him knowing John and Guy would be going, and knowing how important is was to them, he put his ‘friends’ in an impossible position by not making any kind of statement, thus putting what should have been a glorious occasion for them into a obviously difficult situation. Just reading Guy’s forum you can tell how tough it was. Looking forward to hearing the new stuff. Just hope I can put these negative thoughts out of my head so I can once again appreciate the musical genius that he is.

hunter

« Reply #1552 on: April 22, 2018, 04:27:00 AM »
Just as an aside: Any chance the word "Hall" could be added to the title of this thread?

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #1553 on: April 22, 2018, 01:17:20 PM »
The thing with these pathetic comments on the official site is that we must bear in mind that we will hear most from those with displeasure.  Those people completely happy with Mark are unlikely to comment at all so we have a tiny percentage of dissatisfied fans complaining on there.

The only quibble I have is that he didn't issue an official statement.  Nothing to put me off at all.

Surely they are too harsh but I wouldn't underestimate them, if there are 'only' 40-50 negative comments it doesn't mean they are the only unsatisfied fans in the world
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:31:48 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
Re: Rock and roll hall of fame
« Reply #1554 on: April 22, 2018, 08:03:30 PM »
Somehow MK's attitude towards DS and the past in general seems pretty consistent and clear to me. At some point MK made a well considered decision to definately disbandon DS and to move forward by strictly doing things he genuinely likes and to only do it exactly in way he likes it, no exceptions. From that moment onward he completely ignored the entire commercial side of things, such as previously unreleased material, live recordings, possible reunions, promotion/marketing etc etc. This probably was the reason for MK and Ed Bicknell to split as he wanted to manage MK in a way to maximize succes, something MK clearly wasn't interested in anymore. To me that is ultimate artistic integrity, something I admire MK for.
Having said all that, another thing I admired MK for is him generally coming across as a very well mannered, polite and humble person. Of course he wasn't going to show up at RRHF and play in some reunion DS line-up and the reasoning that he somehow owes something (like that) to his fans is total bullocks imho. But as others have said in various ways, just being a slighly warm and well mannered person he should have politely responded somehow....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:30:17 PM by mschaap »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #1555 on: April 22, 2018, 11:10:48 PM »
Just as an aside: Any chance the word "Hall" could be added to the title of this thread?

The thread started with 'hall' included. I placed it back in this post. Maybe its ok from now on
Proud member of the AMIT crew

hunter

« Reply #1556 on: April 23, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »

The thread started with 'hall' included. I placed it back in this post. Maybe its ok from now on

Thanks for that.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #1557 on: April 23, 2018, 12:29:40 PM »
Why no little statement?
If the real reasons are personal problems with Alan and David, then it is understandable to not drag them into the public light, especially given the private person Mark is.
If he would put forward other reasons people would attack him for being dishonest.
So remaining silent is probably not the worst thing under these sad circumstances.

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1558 on: April 23, 2018, 12:52:03 PM »
Why no little statement?
If the real reasons are personal problems with Alan and David, then it is understandable to not drag them into the public light, especially given the private person Mark is.
If he would put forward other reasons people would attack him for being dishonest.
So remaining silent is probably not the worst thing under these sad circumstances.

Good point.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #1559 on: April 23, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »
Gary Graff

Dire Straits Bassist John Illsley on Mark Knopfler's No-Show for Rock Hall Induction: 'He Just Didn't Feel Like Coming'

Dire Straits co-founder John Illsley isn't planning to let the absence of frontman Mark Knopfler and other band members sour his time at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductions this week in Cleveland.

"I'm excited, yes. We're going to have a good time," Illsley tell Billboard just before he and keyboardist Guy Fletcher boarded a flight to the U.S. on Thursday morning (Apr. 12). "I mean, some people play and some people don't. Some people turn up and some people don't, it seems. We've got a combination of all that."

Illsley did reveal that keyboardist Alan Clark's web site post that he, Illsley and Fletcher would perform "an unplugged version of 'Telegraph Road'" was not, in fact, true. "That's not going to happen," Illsley said. "That's Alan having a bit of fun. I was hoping people weren't going to take it too seriously. I wouldn't perform without Mark there, so it's as simple as that, really. If Mark's not there, there's no point." Dire Straits has been dormant since 1992, after touring to promote its 1991 album On Every Street.

So why is Knopfler -- whose brother and fellow guitarist David Knopfler also isn't coming -- a no-show? "He just didn't feel like coming, it's as simple as that," says Illsley, who co-owns the Dire Straits band name with Knopfler. "It just didn't appeal to him, and I appealed to him on several occasions. I said, 'Look, I'd love you to get your head around this.' He said, 'Look, I just can't do it, John. I'm really sorry. It's a great honor for us and all the rest of it, and I just can't get my head around it,' so I've just got to respect it. He's got his reasons, which he really doesn't want to share with me which is unusual because we've shared most things over the years."

Illsley adds that a Dire Straits performance during Saturday's (Apr. 14) ceremony "would've been quite complicated. When you look at the structure of the band over the last 40 years it's been quite a mixed bag of musicians and people involved, and just trying to sort that out and make sense of it... (Knopfler) said, 'Look, I just can't deal with it. I don't really want to deal with it.' So I said, 'OK, I'll go over, accept the award on your behalf and all the rest of the guys that aren't there and that'll be it. So that's what's happening."

Illsley noted that he does have "room in the case" to bring Knopfler's induction trophy back to England. He's also starting to accumulate items for the Rock Hall to exhibit in Cleveland, and he plans to make the best of the induction weekend.

"I'm very proud of being inducted," he says. "I think it's fantastic for the band. I think it's fantastic for all the musicians who have worked with us over the years, who have been part of the journey... and all the producers and engineers we worked with over the years. And I think it's wonderful for all the people who bought the music and came to see the concerts and stuck with the band all these years. That to me is the most important side of it, so that's what I would like to acknowledge when I get there is the fans. They make everything happen."
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 43 queries.