Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350965 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Rock and roll hall of fame
« Reply #1605 on: April 24, 2018, 11:41:07 AM »
It was great as expected.
That is all?

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1606 on: April 24, 2018, 11:46:39 AM »
It was great as expected.
That is all?

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

I am going to see him in 2 weeks, and I want to keep the surrpise, so no spoilers please  :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #1607 on: April 24, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
as far as I'm concerned, yes I will still listent to his music, I will still go to his concerts if I can (when will you come back in Lyon Mark ? it's almots ten years now...), I will still follow his carrer, etc...
But I was and I am still disapointed how it ended up. That's all.
like you Val, it's not going to give me sleepless nights, but it just let me a little bit of bitter flavour

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #1608 on: April 24, 2018, 12:24:36 PM »
So in short it just means that you should never ever get to know your childhood hero too closely because you will be disappointed. Just like you should never ever buy a super car you had on your wall as a teenager. Some things are best left to the imagination.

I need imagination to understand your post anyway.

I never had any car poster, I don't like car ahead of they are machines that allow me to go to work and do some travels.

I don't have and never had any intention to get to know my hero anyway. I had my ten seconds of glory where he signed me a cd and I had a picture taken, that doesn't means I got to know him at all.

Get to know your heroes sometimes is a big risk to be disappointed, so I prefer bto stay in the safe zone and just buy his music and attend his concerts. To keep loving him by what he does, not by what he is. That train is gone forever.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1609 on: April 24, 2018, 12:41:11 PM »
So in short it just means that you should never ever get to know your childhood hero too closely because you will be disappointed. Just like you should never ever buy a super car you had on your wall as a teenager. Some things are best left to the imagination.

Get to know your heroes sometimes is a big risk to be disappointed, so I prefer bto stay in the safe zone and just buy his music and attend his concerts. To keep loving him by what he does, not by what he is. That train is gone forever.

I have been doing this for a long time jbaent.  I used to adore him and everything he did, but these days it is the music that counts above all else.    He is imperfect like everyone else and I have learned that it is better to keep your idols at arms length - metaphorically speaking, of course!   ;)   I still enjoy the stage rush, though, to be as close as possible.  ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #1610 on: April 24, 2018, 12:44:15 PM »
Well, perceptions are different. For me he even has more credit than before as a person by not reacting to this celebrity (and pure commercially motivated) HoF cabaret. I am really with Ritchie Blackmore, Sex Pistols and others on that ...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #1611 on: April 24, 2018, 02:19:14 PM »
Well, perceptions are different. For me he even has more credit than before as a person by not reacting to this celebrity (and pure commercially motivated) HoF cabaret. I am really with Ritchie Blackmore, Sex Pistols and others on that ...

Frankly I have to agree with you here.  Don't understand all the anti-Mark comments; we all know he's never liked this sort of thing and he hates the fame thing. 

"Fame is simply a by-product of success." 
"If you can think of anything good about fame, I'd like to know what it is."

Sure he could've handled it better but why is anyone even surprised that he kept away?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:22:09 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1612 on: April 24, 2018, 02:40:27 PM »
In my case, I'm surprised about his lack of being nice and just say a few words telling he's not going. It's about being nice, that's all. Bob already exists, not need to have another Bob.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1613 on: April 24, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »
A good thing about fame... Having a table in a very busy restaurant without any available table?

While fame with someone that table, some successful people are in the queue or didn't get any reservation at all...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:00:45 PM by jbaent »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #1614 on: April 24, 2018, 03:06:19 PM »
A good thing about fame... Having a table in a very busy restaurant without any available table?

Whoa... I think using your fame to get a table in the packed restaurant isn't fair for all the regular customers. So no, it isn't good at all. Fame also allows you to abuse anybody like Mr. Spacey or Mr. Weinstein, because, well, you're famous and you have a lot of money, right?

All in all, I understand why people with money, fame or power so often goes nuts. Because you can do almost anything or, in case of a huge following, you can't do anything, because every dog recognises you even atop Everest. I wouldn't want to be famous, but I want to be successful.

Wait, what? Mark said that? But it's because it's a simple truth. Fame makes you the worst person you can get, success makes you the best.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #1615 on: April 24, 2018, 03:17:55 PM »
It's good to who is famous, obviously.

Success in a profession like a rocker, comes with fame. Is up to you what you make of it.

It's not good or bad per we. Actually MK is famous but the 90% of time nobody recognise him so, he will get the good things of fame, and very little of the bad.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #1616 on: April 24, 2018, 03:48:19 PM »
Exactly Val. And maybe MK just thinks the Hof thing is bull sh*t but doesn't want to be impolite seeing so. Sometimes it's better to say nothing, so others can enjoy it.

It costs nothing more than a few seconds to do a polite note.

It costs nothing to be nice.

I agree with you, jbaent, but it's not going to give me sleepless nights and it's not going to stop me buying his albums or attending his concerts.   I have more important things to worry about other than MK saying thank you, or not - life's too short.    :)

I can’t really attend his concerts since he doesn’t come to my country so I’m down to not buying his albums I guess. Well, I’ll listen to them - and I will like them most likely. Just not spending money on them. Don’t jump to conclusions, guys. Mark’s music is one thing, Mark’s behavior is something else.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:51:52 PM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #1617 on: April 24, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »
Regarding fame, it’s the price you pay for being successful in the showbiz. Mark went for it. Neglecting it now that you have so much money your great-great-grandchildren won’t have to worry about the mortgage is a little incoherent.

Just one question to everyone: do you have to say good morning or thank you to people? I guess you don’t but you still do it, just because it’s nice and doesn’t cost you anything. Mark didn’t ignore the RRHOF, he ignored fans, workers and society in general. If you do it or don’t say good morning to your neighbor it might seem rude but if you do say good morning - or acknowledge the induction - you’re sending out a message of positivity. In the end it all comes down to what you believe. And I’ll say that again, John and Guy, probably Mark’s most loyal friends in the industry, seem to agree with those who think Mark could’ve acted differently. That must mean something.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #1618 on: April 24, 2018, 09:55:21 PM »
Maybe MK handled it a bit better than we might think... It could very well be that MK was contacted about the nomination and/or induction by the organasation and reacted he was not into it and politely but firmly declined the invitation. I can't see any wrong in that, it's on the RRHF organisation that they've gone ahead with it anyway and approached speakers who were probably not informed of MK's choice not be part of this circus. That still doesn't seem to make up for the akward situation for the rest of the band... or does it? MK probably couldn't care less for the likes of Alan Clark or his brother for possibly good reasons, but what about JI and GF. Being such long time friends with MK they really should have known and understand MK's position in this RRHF thing better than anyone in world (without even asking). Moreover, their entire career / financial succes in the music business is built solely on MK's talent and out of gratitude and respect for that they should have been solidary with MK. By going along with this RRHF thing they've put theirselves in that akward position and their emphasis on the award being for the fans just sounds as an excuse for their own vanity...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:39:11 PM by mschaap »

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #1619 on: April 24, 2018, 10:30:33 PM »
On the other hand, the speeches of both JI and GF really felt sincere, intelligent, humble and from the heart. They really seem to be wonderful people to me.
Maybe because of that this remains such an intriguing 'incident'. Normally I wouldn't be interested in such things let alone write about it as I feel it's quite personal/private and therefore non of my business. So now I've got this off my chest, back to the music, what it's all about.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:54:23 PM by mschaap »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 39 queries.