Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best versions from this tour  (Read 38401 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Best versions from this tour
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
I must admit that I don't missed Sultans this year anymore because there were hardly three versions I could love... Milan stands out for me but the rest is just not working... Mark missing his cue and rushing with the lyrics, not really good playing my Mark, and Ianto messing up the song with his cymbal-hype... I guess Mark obviously has the same theory than me because he also seemed to like it anymore..  :lol :lol

LE

surferboy

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »
I want to thank all who posted their favorite versions here, above all dmg for his detailed list. dmg, I bought upon your list/judgment Helsinki, Milan and Rome and I can confirm that the versions you picked are really really beautiful, eg Haul Away+Piper from Helsinki, Cleaning my Gun from Rome, Hill Farmer from Milan. This was of great help and value to me. So thanks a lot!!!

One more question: What is your favorite version of KOG with regard to Mark's singing. I understand that Hamar has the longest solo but is it also the best sung/performed version? (It's the same with Yon two Crows: I prefer the shorter Sofia solo to the longer Lubljana version).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 02:20:23 PM by surferboy »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »
I want to thank all who posted their favorite versions here, above all dmg for his detailed list. dmg, I bought upon your list/judgment Helsinki, Milan and Rome and I can confirm that the versions you picked are really really beautiful, eg Haul Away+Piper from Helsinki, Cleaning my Gun from Rome, Hill Farmer from Milan. This was of great help and value to me. So thanks a lot!!!

One more question: What is your favorite version of KOG with regard to Mark's singing. I understand that Hamar has the longest solo but is it also the best sung/performed version? (It's the same with Yon two Crows: I prefer the shorter Sofia solo to the longer Lubljana version).

KOG from Hamar happens to be by far the best sung too IMO.

I'm glad you enjoyed my recommendations Surferboy, nice to know I'm not in a complete minority! :thumbsup
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2013, 06:35:55 PM »
Here is my current playlist on my Iphone. It is highly subjective, as I chose songs from shows I attented every time I could. Nonetheless I find it complete and hard to beat:

- WII, CBC, P, FAS, HFB, GB, SAN, TR, SFA,GH: Saint-Julien (greatest energy of the tour IMHO, and great sax-less version of GH)
- IDUAD, Seattle, KOG: Clermont (for Ruth Moody).
- RAJ, IUTC, SFSL, DOTDS, PFP, MT, OSL, GH: Stuttgart (for wonderful Sax versions with Nigel, and also for the funny mistake by Ianto (SFSL/DOTDS/PFP linking), as well as a super-long but well executed version of MT (which dmg will definitely *not* like :) )
- HA, PTTE: Paris (because it is my home town, I had to put something from Paris, these were the two left, and they are great !)
- YTC: Lubjana (great long version)
- BTT: Newcastle
- MYB: Belgrade
- SOS: Istanbul (very rocking)
- BIA: Lubjana
- PW: Zabrebh (only choice !)
- CMG: Istanbul
- DWB: Belgrade

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2013, 06:41:01 PM »
Hey, guys, thanks again for the info. It will be very helpful to guide me through the best of the tour!
Love over gold, mind over matter

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 09:45:41 AM »
best postcards piano intro: dresden. somehow jim does an even funnier little loop there..
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 10:15:23 AM »
I think KOG from Dijon has a longer solo too. Same as Hamar. And with Ruth!
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2013, 06:49:53 PM »
I love too much I Dug Up a Diamond from Bremen sung clear and clean with a final solo very perfect and awesome......no doubt masterpiece
straitsway75

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2013, 08:04:29 PM »
aaah i dug up in bremen. i still remember the goosebumps sitting there and realising that song was being played...almost the same as hearing Blind willie the first time with Mark joining bob the first time on this legendary song, ever, in oberhausen 2011..

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 04:33:38 AM »
I love too much I Dug Up a Diamond from Bremen sung clear and clean with a final solo very perfect and awesome......no doubt masterpiece
straitsway75

I agreed.  It was the version I listened to the most.  I hope with all my heart that I will get to hear IDUAD and Paraguay during the mini tour in the US. :)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 07:04:38 PM »
aaah i dug up in bremen. i still remember the goosebumps sitting there and realising that song was being played...almost the same as hearing Blind willie the first time with Mark joining bob the first time on this legendary song, ever, in oberhausen 2011..

Haha, I remember it too ;) ;) That was a priceless moment when we were sitting next to each other :D
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 10:10:18 PM »
Lol, Indeed Stefan !

Love Expresso

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2013, 12:53:24 PM »
One Al on Guy's forum recommended Padova as the best show. I wondered how one can be so sure - and I am listening to it right now. It is indeed very good. After reading this thread again, I realized that Rome was the next day - so these two shows seem to be a good choice if one really looks for the best.

It is indeed difficult to choose the best show. Where from? A great version of a favourite song is not automatically making a super show in general. Good sound alone is not the nonplusulta. As the band is ALWAYS the same high quality, it all depends on Mark's mood, voice and inspiration.

At some shows it seems he CANNOT go wrong, totally into it, like in Stuttgart, London or Lucca, but also at some shows his voice really sounds so strained and stressed that it is not really fun to listen to him (will not name any example here). AND: His guitar playing is somewhat rough and hard and so loud, that I found that it is also not always fun to listen to, too. Most of the time when listening to the 2013 shows I find that he really does not sound like a guitar god anymore.. Being aware that this is very heretic, I dare to say that guitar playing seems not to have the highest priority for him anymore. I compared to 2010 shows,and even seated and injured, he played more fluent and with a better touch.. I am not a guitar player on my own and maybe it depends on the mix of the sticks as I found myself really impressed when I was in Bremen and London, but the sticks offer a real loud and sometimes nearly displeasing guitar sound. Richard's solo on 5:15 A.M. from Newcastle for example sounds really great compared to some of Mark's stuff. I don't mean difficult notes or licks or stuff like that, but the sound. Mark Knopfler fans seemed to have liked him all the decades for that special warm and fluid sound. Now he seems to have lost the touch in his fingers, very unsteady in his hammering so to say. Mark seems to do best when playing the Martin acoustics. But getting back to topic, I still think these 2013 shows were really great in terms of band playing, mood and energy and mood by Mark. He seemed to have enjoyed it immensely. And that's the most important thing.
There you have it, kill me!  ;D

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2013, 03:54:26 PM »
Lucca is still top of my list, but Padova certainly sounded a good contender when I listened last night -  the solo on Gator Blood was especially good, drifting into Can't Be Satisfied - very NHB!     :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:56:54 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »
Yes, I heard that, too. Mark seemed to enjoy that version very much "dance, chicken" he shouts before he starts soloing. One of the best GB versions.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 44 queries.