Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best versions from this tour  (Read 38745 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Best versions from this tour
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2013, 07:37:35 PM »

Anyway, what do you guys Stuttgart haters think of Saint-Julien ? this one I find really great !

Herlock - I like Saint-Julien  very much!   In fact it's on my list - I'm beginning to get a lot crammed into the top five now!   ;D   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »

Anyway, what do you guys Stuttgart haters think of Saint-Julien ? this one I find really great !

Herlock - I like Saint-Julien  very much!   In fact it's on my list - I'm beginning to get a lot crammed into the top five now!   ;D

I like it a lot too.  It's certainly in my top ten that I've heard!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2013, 09:30:30 AM »
You should really listen to Milan, it's certainly in my top 5. Great versions IMHO!:-) Padova is awesome indeed.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 07:04:39 PM »
Isn't it phantastic that MK can put out 70 shows and here is his heavy fan base, not only discussing it and having different favourites, but there's  also something for everbody! MK really has a lot of ways to make us happy obviously!

This thread is great for giving hints into the right direction. Today I listened a lot to some of the shows I hadn't listened before or was not able to listen to before. Now I must say: Padova is really among the best ones! Phantastic Gator Blood as mentioned, but also really awesome Marbletown! That alone makes it worth listening (!) And I prefer Padova's Speedway over Rome because Mike's flute is much more into the zone, but both versions are pretty much the same phantastic!

Funny news about Stuttgart and the diverse opinions. As Mrs. Val so much loves Liverpool, I gave it a try more than once (you know, you WANT to love it if this Lady says it's great ...  ;) ), and Seattle and Gator Blood from Liverpool are really good!! But over all, Stuttgart I love more. That's just funny. Can't say why, I Used To Could is really powerful (and the dialogue with Richard is great "... everything's too fast for you, Richard".) I compared DOTDS with some of the other versions (YouTube) but from the soundboard, I think the Stuttgart version is really good. When the drums come in, it  has really a Dire Straits feel to it... And I realize that I almost always skip Telegraph Road, so the song that is so significant for so many amiters just gives nothing to me anymore - "almost" in this case means that the Padova version is really exceptional good and comes close to the way I wish it to be played.

So let's dig deeper and deeper into all this stuff. Suggestions and hints always welcome! Who should one ask if not this special bunch of people that knows so much about it all - more than Guy and Mark themselves I would bet!!  :lol :wave

LE

Strange, cause Stuttgart's TR is the best of the tour ;D (no kidding)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2013, 01:08:46 PM »
someone was talking about paraguay and something mark said during that song in the copenhagen recording.
i can now explicitly confirm that he says "..second banking song.."
also, during telegraph road i hear a giant violin part at 3:40 for a few seconds, very dramatic and grand, cannot remember hearing that in any other performance...anyone?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2013, 01:14:41 PM »
someone was talking about paraguay and something mark said during that song in the copenhagen recording.
i can now explicitly confirm that he says "..second banking song.."
also, during telegraph road i hear a giant violin part at 3:40 for a few seconds, very dramatic and grand, cannot remember hearing that in any other performance...anyone?

Just listened, pottel, but I can't hear any violin at all!   :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2013, 02:28:52 PM »
Neither do I. Wrong date, Pottel, or wrong song? Didn't John McCusker play Cittern during Telegraph Road, same as Mike?

LE

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2013, 02:44:41 AM »
I've been listening to Istanbul a lot these days.  One of my favorites.  Love the energy from the audience.  The set was great still with SOS in it.  :thumbsup :clap.  Postcard was great. Mark and the band sounded very fresh.   :clap

Love Expresso

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
Listened to Sultans from Antwerp a few times now and I must say it's really great - I haven't given too much attention to the complete Antwerp show although I know it is very high rated by many members. But Sultans - flawless - no great surprises, but also no big mistakes, concentrated energy, exactly the way I love this song to be played! Well done, Mark!  ;)

Remembers me that one night before the Antwerp show I was in Bremen, and that Sultans also was great. Live so much better than the recording can tell, funny enough...

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »
Antwerp rocks...

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2013, 05:12:41 AM »

Offlinesingv

• Camerado
  • Down that long highway
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2013, 04:13:23 AM »
If you were in Rome on July 13, you would've had a taste of good ol' arena rock (well, almost)....big crowd, electric atmosphere, and a charged up band. I have listened to 6 different shows (UK and Italy), and Rome still sounds the best, in my humble opinion of course.
Spirits call from way beyond
Lord I may not disobey...

Offlinesweetsurrender

• Romeo
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2013, 03:14:13 AM »
If you were in Rome on July 13, you would've had a taste of good ol' arena rock (well, almost)....big crowd, electric atmosphere, and a charged up band. I have listened to 6 different shows (UK and Italy), and Rome still sounds the best, in my humble opinion of course.

nothing can ever come close to being there !!!  I will give it a listen tonight.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2013, 10:11:13 AM »
5:15 am in newcastle
those sitar sounds and rocking organ, were they used on other performances of this song too? lovin it!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2013, 10:27:26 AM »
not sure whether this was already mentioned, but the TR from sofia is smoking!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 42 queries.