Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (1) Laughs and Jokes and Drinks and Smokes (6:39)  (Read 48964 times)

foma

Re: (1) Laughs and Jokes and Drinks and Smokes (6:39)
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 01:25:44 PM »
Does anybody know what the "no lights on the stairs" thing is about? I mean, come on young Mark, just have David, John or Pick change that light bulb, right?  ;D ???

MK explains all in the 24 min interview.   It's because there was a time delay switch at the bottom of the stairs, which gave about 15 seconds to get up the stairs and open the door of the room before the light went out again!    ;D

A pity there are no subtitles in the dvd, I didnt catch this joke...

It's a pity what subtitles can be made for YouTube quite easily in many languages. I wrote to MK.com with no answer, I just wanted to make Russian subtitles. And I can make English as well, it's a matter of just couple of hours. Isn't this a very handy thing to make for fans? When management need, they answer 'Never write to me again', but with really useful stuff... it's just silence. Huh.

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 03:28:05 PM »
This song gets better and better with every listen - emerging as one of his best - and to get a sense of its appeal, my 14 year old step daughter loves it too!

Offlinenababo

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2015, 06:26:55 PM »
In the quest of previously released songs that sound like the new ones, or vice-versa, I found LaJaDaS very similar to Loui's favorite, from Local Hero, and The new laird, from A Shot at Glory, mainly at the folk parts, of course.
Love over gold, mind over matter

OfflineSimon

• Camerado
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 03:53:26 PM »
Border Reiver springs to mind on the opening lines.

LoveExpresso

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2015, 09:00:47 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2015, 09:08:36 PM »
hahahaha!! Congrats on becoming a fellow 'Romeo' :clap
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

LoveExpresso

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »
Oh thanks, haven't noticed.

You know, I have been one some time ago... should be around 5000 posts or so now in "real life" but I had a little "timeout" so I started again with  post number 1...

LE

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2015, 12:38:13 PM »
Does anybody have an idea about the meaning of the searching for the lost girl in this song?
Besides the "laughs and jokes" and being young aspect there seems to be another dimension with this girl throughout the whole song and in all the media reviews with regard to this song MK hasn't mentioned that aspect which makes me wonder even more.
Why is he combining the "not that we ever cared" verses with the search that shows caring?

I want to refresh this question of surferboy as it is til now not answered. I have the same problem. To whom is he refering? The first verse and the chorus is quite clear, but verse 2 and 3 are at least misterious.
1.) Is it really a girl who is not there (i have the feeling: yes)
2.) Is it his first love in London?
3.) Who is the old brass? - the mother of the girl? And the other three girls are sisters?
4.) Is the letter of the first verse a love letter by a girl that he left to come to London? And is he trying to come back to her?
5.) Don't understand how the verses "Later on I picked up the ball / And i took off down the line / I suppose by then I'd realised / You'd run into hard times" is linked with the context. I don't have the feeling to get the proper meaning.

I feel "lost in association". What are you thinking about these lines?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:40:18 PM by yontwocrows »

LoveExpresso

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
"People would go on their different ways" is the key line for me -
and my take is that it is a girl from earlier days. She heard that he is in London also now, and wrote him a letter. She is also young, same as him, and lives in some kind of HOSTEL (edited) (for women), and the brass is the land lady, keeping an eye over her girls.. I have my knowledge from Ian McEwan novels, i guess Val knows more (EDIT about English daily life in the 70's) and  about these things.

;)

LE
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:36:21 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2015, 01:23:18 PM »
"People would go on their different ways" is the key line for me -
and my take is that it is a girl from earlier days. She heard that he is in London also now, and wrote him a letter. She is also young, same as him, and lives in some kind of residental home (for women), and the brass is the land lady, keeping an eye over her girls.. I have my knowledge from Ian McEwan novels, i guess Val knows more about these things.

;)

LE

???    No, I'm afraid not, sorry!    I don't know anything about residential homes for women.   :hmm
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:26:28 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

LoveExpresso

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2015, 01:35:36 PM »
Sorry Val, as I am ina  rush (we are open today, Sunday shopping) I was using the wrong word, I see it now - no offence was meant of course - I was referring to you because of the details of British life , and what I meant was HOSTEL (maybe for young women especially) I see that I used a word that is connected with older ones. How could I ever come to the conclusion to remember YOU in that context? Sorry for any disaccord..

I will edit my original post..

Now I hope the meaning of my post gets clearer..

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2015, 01:44:32 PM »
Sorry Val, as I am ina  rush (we are open today, Sunday shopping) I was using the wrong word, I see it now - no offence was meant of course - I was referring to you because of the details of British life , and what I meant was HOSTEL (maybe for young women especially) I see that I used a word that is connected with older ones. How could I ever come to the conclusion to remember YOU in that context? Sorry for any disaccord..

I will edit my original post..

Now I hope the meaning of my post gets clearer..

LE

No worries, LE, I'm not offended at all!  I understand now what you meant, but I still can't help in that respect, sorry!    :wave
Goin' into Tow Law....

surferboy

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2015, 01:51:53 PM »
Thanks yontwocrows for bringing it up again.
The lost girl seems to be a second and separate theme besides the "resilient optimists"-theme.
Both themes seem only connected by happening in the same early London time frame.
The searching for her takes up most of the song's verses and is actually a contrast to the laughs and jokes idea of the chorus.
And that makes it interesting. The song does not tell little episodes and stories that would fit in with the chorus.
MK deliberately combined both themes.
I don't think it is the denial theme of Whoop de doo.
Maybe his idea could be the insight that it is part of a young life of laughs and jokes not to realize in time and not yet to be sensitized for deeper things that lie on the way, maybe in form of a certain relationship.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:34:52 PM by surferboy »

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2015, 02:05:34 PM »
Yes, LE, that's and interesting approach. I didn't think at all of a sort of girl's home, but that might perfectly be. And also the the girl might be from earlier days, so the verses are perfectly linked together.

@surferboy: Beautiful thought, except that i think that the line "not that we ever cared" relates only to the fact of beeing broke. - This attitude of young ones: We don't care that we don't have any money.
But this reading does not diminuish the interesting contrast you are talking about and that i feel too, when listening to the song. The decision to search for the girl, is certainly a moment of caring, maybe also a moment of hesitation and doubt to follow the path as a musician.
At the end it is also something he sacrificed for making career/or fulfilling his dreams.

What does he mean with "Later on i picked up the ball / and i took off down the line"?

Because of all that i like the line "I suppose by then I'd realised you'd run into hard times". It is this moment of clarity in a young live when you know you laugh but things are not that easy how you suppose them to be. But it's also the clarity you need to stick to your path. It'is a small moment of self-reflection, and this is so beautiful described here.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 02:15:49 PM by yontwocrows »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2015, 02:11:56 PM »
At the end it is also something he sacrificed for making career/or fulfilling his dreams.

What does he mean with "Later on i picked up the ball / and i took off down the line"?

I think that means that he carried on with his life as usual and gave up the search for the girl.   MK uses that phrase "picking up the ball and running" quite a lot, even in interviews.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 49 queries.