Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 146845 times)

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2015, 08:01:50 PM »
Well, well I don't think that we're going to have an answer to this really good question because I don't think MK will ever give a clear explanation on why he wrote this song!!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2015, 08:49:14 PM »
"Pick out a pretty one and toss your hair.", could this be about AC picking Terence Reis? He has lovely hair. Seems funny old AC with young Terence?

I think MK owes you a writing credit too with the "chip on both your shoulders" line.  I seem to recall you saying that in one of your posts in reference to AC.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2015, 09:21:24 PM »
Well, well I don't think that we're going to have an answer to this really good question because I don't think MK will ever give a clear explanation on why he wrote this song!!!

He always gives details to any song.
j
I don't know why he shouldn't in this case.

We just need a journalist to ask a question.

Yes maybe a good journalist could ask him the question Pensaboy!! Let's hope it will be soon or later!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

foma

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2015, 10:45:54 PM »
Ever heard any journalist asking about b-sides?

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2015, 10:50:39 PM »
Ever heard any journalist asking about b-sides?

Not very often Foma but who knows?? And I wrote maybe!!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2015, 10:54:10 PM »
"Pick out a pretty one and toss your hair.", could this be about AC picking Terence Reis? He has lovely hair. Seems funny old AC with young Terence?

I think MK owes you a writing credit too with the "chip on both your shoulders" line.  I seem to recall you saying that in one of your posts in reference to AC.

Ha. I'm off to hire Marvin Gaye's lawyers. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2015, 11:07:10 PM »

I think it's more generally about certain rock star airs and graces some of these musicians seem to have (the "pretty one" is a girl in the audience and the musicians tosses his hair in a rock-cliché-way) and how silly it appears to behave this way, especially when you're older - and not a real star but a wannabee...

I really like this song, although I think the lyrics are a bit too offending. I mean, musicians have to eat, too. And I really believe that Alan Clark & Co. have fun playing these old songs. They pay tribute to the songs of MK and he gets the royalties. And every tribute band has a band name that refers to the original band or a certain song. There are still a lot of DS fans who don't really like the new stuff and are happy to go to a concert where you not only get SOS and SFA but a lot more (and sometimes with even better guitar work...).

I've been to Brit Floyd and Aussie Floyd concerts and they are marvellous. Nobody would expect them to be the real Pink Floyd - although you tend to if you close your eyes. David Gilmour even invited the latter to his birthday because he was so amazed. That's a far more relaxed and friendly way to deal with musicians who admire other songwriters.

I'm amazed you think somebody else plays Mark Knopfler's guitar parts better than Mark Knopfler!

There have been plenty of traditional tribute bands doing DS in the vein of what you describe.  The Straits and all the various facical incarnations are not the same thing. It's ex members of the actual band who were happy to sit back and smile when they were touring the world, but after 20 years of no success on their own merits they turn up saying they wrote half the songs, they just forgot to mention it before, oh and also John Illsley isn't a good enough musician to play his own parts. Disgraceful.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2015, 01:15:25 AM »
Brit floyd and Aussie Floyd are tribute bands. The Straits sailed so close to the Dire Straits have reformed it was ridiculous. If I was MK I'd be pretty pissed off with old mates claiming to be more than they are. This song for me puts AC in his place. If he's such a talent he shoud make his own music and if its good I will buy it.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2015, 02:57:39 AM »
Exactly. This song is a pretty obvious statement and really no explanation is needed from MK. Placing this DS style number as a bonus rather than on main record is yet another message: "That's what I think but I don't really care". Brilliant if not genious.

I just love how effortless he sounds in this song. The singing, amazing guitar work, and excellent composition. Another message: "That's the way you do it, you poor souls"
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »
If I was MK I'd be pretty pissed off with old mates claiming to be more than they are. This song for me puts AC in his place. If he's such a talent he shoud make his own music and if its good I will buy it.

Banjo, I´d say this has obviously become a big problem also within the straits, as they split up soon after AC wanted to record new songs under the name straits while at the same time playing the old DS songs. I think that was too much for some of the other members (presumably White and Reis) who always wanted to keep it and articulate it just as tribute band and had a bad feeling with that. As far as I remember, AC stated that on his homepage quite directly that that´s the reason why the straits split up again. By the way, I think this is also the reason why some other members have never joined them from the beginning (like John or Danny?). I think one really has to distinguish here between the straits and other tribute bands that do not claim to be a direct follow up of DS, with international touring, recording new songs, etc.

Regarding John, I think he shows a lot of talent on his new cd, I would not put it that harsh dusty; There is a lot of own style in it, that I quite like. That´s good. But yes, also for the JI concerts, I really do not get it why he plays usually more than half of the set DS songs. He should play his (good) own songs; 2-3 ds songs as addition would be ok, but more than half of the set I don´t get it. But that´s just my view.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »
His voice sounds like the Dire Straits times, for example like One World. Is it mixed on purpose that way? Or other microphone? His voice sounds more like Dire Straits days than all other tracks.

Anyone else noticed?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2015, 10:23:58 AM »
I had the same feeling, but thought i was wrong, because the whole track is DS-like. Sound of the guitar. On the other hand: it's the same artist. So i'm not sure, if it is purpose...

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
Yes, message is clear: I can still do what I used to do if I want; I just don't want anymore. Except just once, to teach you a lesson...
This is what I dared to post on Guy's forum. We'll see the answers (or not...)

Hi Guy, Many thanks and congrats for another brilliant album ! Two direct questions regarding this awsome song (the best one IMHO) 1. Why is it a "bonus track" and not on the main album ? 2. Is the song about Alan Clark ? If no, may I suggest to make it clear to him, because there are many clues that will have him think he has been targeted... Thanks and cheers

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2015, 10:36:44 AM »
Yes, message is clear: I can still do what I used to do if I want; I just don't want anymore. Except just once, to teach you a lesson...
This is what I dared to post on Guy's forum. We'll see the answers (or not...)

Hi Guy, Many thanks and congrats for another brilliant album ! Two direct questions regarding this awsome song (the best one IMHO) 1. Why is it a "bonus track" and not on the main album ? 2. Is the song about Alan Clark ? If no, may I suggest to make it clear to him, because there are many clues that will have him think he has been targeted... Thanks and cheers
Well done Herlock. I did not dare to mention that when I wrote to Guy yesterday because I never saw their shows!! Hope he will answer your post.

foma

« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2015, 10:37:55 AM »
Let's hope nobody from any DS tribute acts would not commit suicide after hearing this song. Because they really don’t know right from wrong.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 41 queries.