Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 146792 times)

Offlinetobi777

• Local Hero
Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2015, 10:46:02 AM »
I'm amazed you think somebody else plays Mark Knopfler's guitar parts better than Mark Knopfler!

If you listen to the various tribute bands out there - some guitar players are truely amazing. And although I find it rather pointless and bland to reproduce another player's solo note for note some of them really nail it. Not better than MK in #85-'92 but (technically) better than MK from 2008 onwards. And I have to admit that some live recordings of MK from the last years really make me sad. I'd rather wish he would stop playing SOS or TR instead of butchering them.

It's ex members of the actual band who were happy to sit back and smile when they were touring the world, but after 20 years of no success on their own merits they turn up saying they wrote half the songs, they just forgot to mention it before, oh and also John Illsley isn't a good enough musician to play his own parts. Disgraceful.

Who is "they"? It's a bit generalized, isn't it? Phil Palmer is one of the most respected and busiest studio musicians and has played with a lot of stars over the years. He might not be in the front row anymore because he is also getting older - but he had a career without DS and MK.

I had the same feeling, but thought i was wrong, because the whole track is DS-like. Sound of the guitar.
I think it sounds a bit similar to "Let It Grow" (as someone already mentioned here). I can hardly hear any similarities to DS recordings. The guitar sound is different (although it is a Strat), a lot more acoustic guitar strumming, fairly unusual harmonies.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2015, 03:26:52 PM »
Beautiful Guitar sound which to me is reminiscent of the 'Alchemy' TOL 'Sunburst' Schecter guitar sound.....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2015, 04:16:39 PM »
Regarding John, I think he shows a lot of talent on his new cd, I would not put it that harsh dusty; There is a lot of own style in it, that I quite like. That´s good. But yes, also for the JI concerts, I really do not get it why he plays usually more than half of the set DS songs. He should play his (good) own songs; 2-3 ds songs as addition would be ok, but more than half of the set I don´t get it. But that´s just my view.

I didn't say anything about John's solo music? Was just wondering what MK thinks about him being involved in various DS tribute incarnations.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2015, 04:20:13 PM »
I'm amazed you think somebody else plays Mark Knopfler's guitar parts better than Mark Knopfler!

If you listen to the various tribute bands out there - some guitar players are truely amazing. And although I find it rather pointless and bland to reproduce another player's solo note for note some of them really nail it. Not better than MK in #85-'92 but (technically) better than MK from 2008 onwards. And I have to admit that some live recordings of MK from the last years really make me sad. I'd rather wish he would stop playing SOS or TR instead of butchering them.

Well we must agree to disagree, for me nobody can play MK like MK. And I personally haven't noticed any problem with his playing in recent years.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2015, 04:43:27 PM »

Well we must agree to disagree, for me nobody can play MK like MK. And I personally haven't noticed any problem with his playing in recent years.
Nobobdy can play MK like MK, that's true; but MK plays at a slower pace than MK used to... :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 05:26:52 PM by herlock »

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2015, 05:08:20 PM »
I didn't say anything about John's solo music? Was just wondering what MK thinks about him being involved in various DS tribute incarnations.

ok; well John is not involved in so many, just in one (DS legends) for some rare occasions which he also uses to promote his own stuff. Anyway, I looked at the last set lists, and latest he played from 20 songs 13 DS songs. It´s up to him but I'd prefer to hear much more of his own stuff. (railway tracks I find really good, for instance)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2015, 05:29:42 PM »
I can see it both ways. If you went to see John Illsley of Dire Straits and he didnt play any Dire Straits songs I would be pissed off.

Anyway, I don't grudge any of these guys making a living. The thing I hate is Alan's attitude.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2015, 05:42:13 PM »

ok; well John is not involved in so many, just in one (DS legends) for some rare occasions which he also uses to promote his own stuff. Anyway, I looked at the last set lists, and latest he played from 20 songs 13 DS songs. It´s up to him but I'd prefer to hear much more of his own stuff. (railway tracks I find really good, for instance)

Saw John 2 weeks ago. He did play Railway Tracks.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »
I can see it both ways. If you went to see John Illsley of Dire Straits and he didnt play any Dire Straits songs I would be pissed off.

Anyway, I don't grudge any of these guys making a living. The thing I hate is Alan's attitude.

Yes, dusty, that is what I mentioned above that the straits is on another level; and finally this also was too much for other members so that they split up again anyway...

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2015, 06:36:36 PM »

Saw John 2 weeks ago. He did play Railway Tracks.

Agree with both of you, I love John Illsleys' stuff and I like very much his voice. As a matter of fact I bought recently his Live in London and I think it's really a beautiful CD with great songs!! Nothing to say against the fact that he's playing DS's music except maybe Private Investigations because MK is the best to peform it, nobody can take his place on this one!!!!!!!!!!
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Offlinekaleo74

• Camerado
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2015, 06:51:49 PM »
About John, they are more than friends, I think it is not the same thing, when at the beginning you shared 120 bucks and you had nothing but just enough to eat and you still playing and enjoying it, you have the right to play those songs and be proud of it.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2015, 07:34:32 PM »
About John, they are more than friends, I think it is not the same thing, when at the beginning you shared 120 bucks and you had nothing but just enough to eat and you still playing and enjoying it, you have the right to play those songs and be proud of it.

Yes of course, thats out of question. My point was that the balance is just not my preference as I would prefer more of his own songs instead. But I fully agree, John is a totally different thing than the straits or other tribute bands.

foma

« Reply #147 on: March 15, 2015, 07:41:43 PM »
John rule! I mean he looks good promoting his new album and singing DS tunes. AC looks ridiculous with his foremost keyboard rack on stage.

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2015, 07:46:18 PM »
John rule! I mean he looks good promoting his new album and singing DS tunes. AC looks ridiculous with his foremost keyboard rack on stage.

This photo is really fantastic foma; Says very much to my view

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #149 on: March 15, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »

Yes of course, thats out of question. My point was that the balance is just not my preference as I would prefer more of his own songs instead. But I fully agree, John is a totally different thing than the straits or other tribute bands.
John is the ideal number 2, who never complains and is faithful to the boss no matter what - a real saint, really. Must be very tough to cope with MK's temper...
John is highly respected for that among MK fans and has earned his little place under the sunshine. Time for him to shine a little bit. Yes I also would have preferred him to play more of his own songs... But at least he made some songs of his own !
Alan's case could have been similar. After all he joined DS as a full member
In 1980, not so long after it all started, and he probably brought many things and ideas. His keyboards skills are quite outstanding (see TOL on Alchemy/Wembley !). His major faults are not that much "The straits" per say, but all these interviews saying that he co-wrote TR and that MK was not that a big part of DS. Had he be contented with playing some old songs with a few ex-members that probably Mark would have smiled and not cared much. But all this tralala about it as if it was a major event, a reformation of DS... This is like Icarus: if you go to close to the sun, don't be surprised to be burnt. My 2 cents.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.