Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)  (Read 147770 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: (14) Terminal of Tribute To (5:52)
« Reply #195 on: March 17, 2015, 12:17:36 AM »
AC was a very important piece of DS, so any reunion celebrating the DS music should have him dpecislly if they are counting with ex members.

And yes, the most important piece was MK, obviously, that's why I called AC a very important piece, not the most...

I wonder who else will be involved, I don't mind how many "terminals" writes MK, as long as he moved forward and leave DS back, it's clear that there is still an interest in DS and his music, and an ex members reunion, original members or not, would be of interest for many that, as Ingrid and I, would enjoy that celebration.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #196 on: March 17, 2015, 12:24:38 AM »
I think the song is about AC because of his interviews and not because people cover DS music. It's pretending to be DS what's wrong.

Well, then I am wondering why other so called DS ex members (which Phil is not) have no bad feeling about joining with AC in these kind of things (some of the straits obviously got a bad feeling that's why they split). It is all incredibly strange and I would have not believed that they consider to go on after Mark has clearly stated now what he thinks of it. Also Guy seems very direct now in his answers in this respect (which he wasn't always as we know).  :think

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #197 on: March 17, 2015, 12:27:53 AM »
Agree with you Jbaent, but with respect to what Phil told me I avoid the word reunion, because when I used this word to him he really was strongly insisting that it was NOT. So some ex-members (not all, not mentioning main or longtime DS-members) of DS will get together and play music we love. And everyone can say what he wants but at least a couple of them are very good musicians. And not every good musician also has the talent to write good songs themselves. But I love to hear good musicians, also when they only cover other music. Next saturday a very good local band will play only covers, not from one band, but from the 70's to 90's. They are good musicians, they are passionful in playing, so it will be a great night.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #198 on: March 17, 2015, 12:33:31 AM »
Did you mentioned Phil about this song in any recent mail? I know it doesn't talks about him but it might be interesting to know his opinion.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2015, 12:48:00 AM »
No I didn't mail him about it. I will make up my mind if I want to do t or not. Don't know if he will join JI in Bonn. If so, it may be smarter to talk with him about this in person. Sometimes it's hard to express everything in a mail, especially because english is not my native tongue. He already misunderstood some sentences I wrote earlier.

surferboy

« Reply #200 on: March 17, 2015, 09:54:29 AM »
Well, then I am wondering why other so called DS ex members (which Phil is not) have no bad feeling about joining with AC in these kind of things (some of the straits obviously got a bad feeling that's why they split). It is all incredibly strange and I would have not believed that they consider to go on after Mark has clearly stated now what he thinks of it. Also Guy seems very direct now in his answers in this respect (which he wasn't always as we know).  :think

You make a very good point here.
If Phil really doesn't want to overstep the limits by participating in deliberately misleading DS reunion projects and if he really intends to esteem MK's work and not offendingly downplay MK's role in DS, he will stay away from AC.
That will be the proof of the truth of what he said to Ingrid.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 12:09:53 PM by surferboy »

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
    • Official Chris White Fan Site
« Reply #201 on: March 17, 2015, 03:39:46 PM »
Agree with you Jbaent, but with respect to what Phil told me I avoid the word reunion, because when I used this word to him he really was strongly insisting that it was NOT. So some ex-members (not all, not mentioning main or longtime DS-members) of DS will get together and play music we love. And everyone can say what he wants but at least a couple of them are very good musicians. And not every good musician also has the talent to write good songs themselves. But I love to hear good musicians, also when they only cover other music. Next saturday a very good local band will play only covers, not from one band, but from the 70's to 90's. They are good musicians, they are passionful in playing, so it will be a great night.
Completely agree with you Ingrid - with all your posts here. You put it the best  in words for me... :clap

Offlineingridswing

• Founder
  • Rüdiger
« Reply #202 on: March 17, 2015, 04:12:53 PM »
Thanks Slavi. I talked to Phil and that made me think and nuance the view. He really was very passionate about not reuniting DS, not claiming to be DS. He was very honest, at least I felt so. So let's see what they are going to do, how they are going to call themselves etc. They all have to make a living and a lot of people want to hear DS-songs played in a proper way. If MK doesn't do it, others can do it. And MK will get a share from the rights paid by the venues.
And let's not blame them when promotors suggest otherwise if they form a band which makes clear that they are not DS. Mark doesn't use the name DS ever, but promotors in every country always use DS to sale tickets, albums and so on.

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
« Reply #203 on: March 17, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »
 Trying to recall the past...Being a big fan ( and friend) of Chris White I have been many times in Italy to many tribute events. For most of them I know for sure they were supported by Mark himself - Pensa Day even was suggested to organize in Italy by Mark during 2002 Charity gigs in London. Other such event was a charity for Amnesty International in 2007 in Italy again - they were 3 DS tribute bands there, Chris White, Terry Kilburn, Paolo Bonfanti, a great Italian blues player,  and some other guests. Mark also sent some stuff and guitars for the charity.

I'm amazed by the fans and all tribute bands in Italy - such a warm and loving atmosphere, smiles and happy faces, all respect and love for MK and his music.
I suppose it's the same in Spain, Germany and other countries. I can not imagine  Terminal Tribute To is about them.

I also think, despite that most of you will disagree, because you have information from Guy, but not from Mark himself...I think that what most annoyed Mark to write this song was not the name of The Straits, but mostly Alan in his interviews, pretending to be DS ( thank you, Ingrid, for this sentence) or collaborating upon Telegraph Road. I'm so sorry about Alan that he couldn't rethink the past. He is really a wonderful musician.

One more thing. I have been on many concerts of The Straits - met many new fans and friends and spoke to many people but never, really never met people who were misleaded they will watch Dire Straits, which was the biggest concern of the fans here, in the forum.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:24:48 PM by Slavi »

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #204 on: March 17, 2015, 05:13:49 PM »
Trying to recall the past...Being a big fan ( and friend) of Chris White I have been many times in Italy to many tribute events. For most of them I know for sure they were supported by Mark himself - Pensa Day even was suggested to organize in Italy by Mark during 2002 Charity gigs in London. Other such event was a charity for Amnesty International in 2007 in Italy again - they were 3 DS tribute bands there, Chris White, Terry Kilburn, Paolo Bonfanti, a great Italian blues player,  and some other guests. Mark also sent some stuff and guitars for the charity.

I'm amazed by the fans and all tribute bands in Italy - such a warm and loving atmosphere, smiles and happy faces, all respect and love for MK and his music.
I suppose it's the same in Spain, Germany and other countries. I can not imagine  Terminal Tribute To is about them.

I also think, despite that most of you will disagree, because you have information from Guy, but not from Mark himself...I think that what most annoyed Mark to write this song was not the name of The Straits, but mostly Alan in his interviews, pretending to be DS ( thank you, Ingrid, for this sentence) or collaborating upon Telegraph Road. I'm so sorry about Alan that he couldn't rethink the past. He is really a wonderful musician.

One more thing. I have been on many concerts of The Straits - met many new fans and friends and spoke to many people but never, really never met people who were misleaded they will watch Dire Straits, which was the biggest concern of the fans here, in the forum.

Thanks Slavi and Ingrid for all these informations about the Tribute Gigs because I am new here and besides I never attend any DS gigs ever, just saw them on vids neither did I see NHB nor MK and The Straits!! Never got the opportunities and never could have been among 60000 people, I'm afraid of the crowd, too bad for me!!! But that's not the problem of this forum. However I like very much Chris White and I would have loved to see him involved with MK's work nowadays because he's an outstanding saxo player and excellent musician. Concerning AC who is a great keyboard musicians and happens to come from Newcastle as MK, I was surprised to read here that he made troubles by claiming credits on TR for exemple but that explained to me why MK chose Guy Fletcher to follow him on his new Team and not Alan because GF is a quiet and gentle man!!! Can imagine that AC got mad, that's understandable!! So now the Puzzle of what happened when MK decided to put an end to DS Mega Tours and start his carreer alone, making his choices and having his own staff, is starting to make sense to me!!! Although I said it before even if I do not know MK as a human being but as a Musician,  I still don't believe that he made TOTT just like that, something that he can't forgive from the past or more recent must have make him really angry!! He seems to be an intelligent man and you don't start to write those terrible words to another human being like "you are nobody and you'll stay like that", etc unless the problem between the parts is something very serious!!! That's my point of view....
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineSlavi

• Camerado
« Reply #205 on: March 17, 2015, 05:40:47 PM »
I was shocked by the lyrics from the start, but now I may say Mark probably just wrote the song to let everything go or trying to release the past...Who knows?

Somebody said here that everything was about money.
Well, The Straits really filled but a very small venues and their tickets were cheaper 3-4 times compare to MK, so I don't think they earned that much and also Italian tribute bands.
Marijo58, 60000 people were during BIA or OES of DS, and never happened since 1992.

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #206 on: March 17, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
I was shocked by the lyrics from the start, but now I may say Mark probably just wrote the song to let everything go or trying to release the past...Who knows?

Well, The Straits really filled but a very small venues and their tickets were cheaper 3-4 times compare to MK, so I don't think they earned that much and also Italian tribute bands.
Marijo58, 60000 people were during BIA or OES of DS, and never happened since 1992.

He obviously referred to the straits with 60000 people as Dire straits, not to the straits from the last years (even we swap up ...)

By the way, for me it was the opposite: I was shocked by the straits thing, not by the lyrics...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:47:43 PM by junkiedoll »

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #207 on: March 17, 2015, 05:57:47 PM »

Yes Slavi but before the 60000 people gigs I was not going often to concert unfortunately and after I married a Finnish man, moved to Sweden and Finland. We never attended there either because my ex was not so fond of DS and MK.Then I divorced came back to France in 1999 almost broke and had to start all over again!! Had to spare in order to travel or go to concert!! Hard economic situation forces you to forget about your dreams!! Now life is a bit better and I can finally afford to make my dream come true to see MK perform on stage!! :wave
But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #208 on: March 17, 2015, 06:12:53 PM »
And Slavi by the way , I noticed that you said that you know Chris White and that he's One of your friends, please do tell him if you have contact with him sometimes in the future that I simply admire his wonderful work on Romeo and Juliett and on Private Investigations!! I wish him the very best in the future and that I was sorry to read about his loss of a dear friend in cancer!!He seems very deeply sad about this.  If he has an email contact for Fans I can maybe leave my message myself??? Thanks.

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #209 on: March 17, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »
Ha Ha Ha, i love it, how Guy ignores the questions or find manouevres to avoid answering, if the Straits or AC are the topic of the song or not.
There were at least three attempts to get the information, all of them failed. But it's very clear that it's a song that is pointing to the Straits, because if not he would have denied it. How he btw did, when he was questioned if Oklahoma Ponies refers to Mark's son and his group  ;)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 39 queries.