Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Emperor's New Clothes?  (Read 8791 times)

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
Re: The Emperor's New Clothes?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 06:44:31 PM »
I'm not saying I didn't like any of the songs...I just thought they were not nearly up to Mark's previously established standard.  A bad MK album is still better than most of the stuff out there.  ;)

Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 07:31:06 PM »
Terminal of tribute to could be a hit (very cool guitar rhythm part at the end  / sharp lyrics / nice layer for soloing / a real pity that it's not on the main album)

Said this: i love the whole album, it's his best solo album. Taste differs ;-)

LoveExpresso

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 07:43:45 PM »
I haven't listened to the album since last Sunday  :o and I find it pretty cool to see so many members posting that seldomly do so - Moss Guitars opinion was always one I am very interested in for example - and I like the different ideas in this thread. Judging an album by the number of its skippers is very refreshing.

I go for the melodies I have in my head during working, walking, waiting and and so on. A dear colleague at work asked me this afternoon what it was I was whistling all the time, nice melody, and i had to think about it for a second because it was half unconsciously done, and it was Heart Of Oaks. Whistle it, try to whistle it, and you will see what a wonderful and not too easy melody it has! I was reading 1:48 min before release and thought, well, that can't be a serious track, and now I think, every second is right, the song is so phantastic the way it is - not a second more is needed!

There are two or three skippers for me, but sometimes I give them a try and I skip others - i changes. I cannot follow the sheer exitement about TOTT,
it is an OK song for me - but there are many others my heart is connected much more to! River Towns... and My Heart Has Never Changed.. and .. and.. .

LE

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »
I agree with you, LE. TOTT is not my favourite, neither (but i like it). But i think it has be the most potential to be liked by a mass.
And your approach of whistling is a good idea. I had the same experience trying to sing along loud to each song. This was fabulous and was a nice approach to a few songs. (Mighty Man for me / River towns / Silver Eagle / Heart of Oak. But it also fun to do the skyyyyyyyyyydiver / the chorus of Laugh and Jokes and drinks and smokes / and so on) Try it. It fells good

LoveExpresso

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 07:56:50 PM »
I can't shut my mouth when listening to Laughs And Jokes.. even with headphones on I have to sing along to it. Mark has so much energy and feeling in this opening song, it is really phantastic.

That one could be a "classic" as mentioned in this thread before..

I agree that real solo classics are What It Is, Speedway To Nazareth, Why Aye Man and Done With Bonaparte. And Sailing To Philadelphia. But that's it. Nothing from Privateering (apart from the title track maybe - but time must tell).

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 08:02:26 PM »
Tracker is just lighter, brighter and more sensitive than Privateering.
Figuratively speaking, Mark undid another button to breathe more freely at these unattainable altitudes.

I think it all boils down to how good the songs are.  The last three albums have just had not very many strong songs.  It doesn't matter if you record it with the best musicians in the world, in the best studio, with super-valuable vintage equipment and the world's greatest engineer, if the songs stink, they stink.

Strong songs??
I think personally that on each MK Album, each tune/track is 'strong' in the context of the amount of thought that has gone into both the lyrics and the tune? and I mean MK's Lyric's and tunes are certainly something else!!

As for 'stinking' I'm not sure I follow personally....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineyontwocrows

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »
Yes, Privateering could become a classic (not for me). And Speedway is certainly a classic, but listening to the album version i would never have guessed that it once becomes one. On Tracker i have the feeling that many songs have the potential for good solos. I could be wrong. Looking forward to the Tour

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 08:04:42 PM »
I agree with you, LE. TOTT is not my favourite, neither (but i like it). But i think it has be the most potential to be liked by a mass.
And your approach of whistling is a good idea. I had the same experience trying to sing along loud to each song. This was fabulous and was a nice approach to a few songs. (Mighty Man for me / River towns / Silver Eagle / Heart of Oak. But it also fun to do the skyyyyyyyyyydiver / the chorus of Laugh and Jokes and drinks and smokes / and so on) Try it. It fells good

Surely it's; SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, skyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, DIVER!!!! :wave

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 08:16:07 PM »
Tracker is just lighter, brighter and more sensitive than Privateering.
Figuratively speaking, Mark undid another button to breathe more freely at these unattainable altitudes.

I think it all boils down to how good the songs are.  The last three albums have just had not very many strong songs.  It doesn't matter if you record it with the best musicians in the world, in the best studio, with super-valuable vintage equipment and the world's greatest engineer, if the songs stink, they stink.

Strong songs??
I think personally that on each MK Album, each tune/track is 'strong' in the context of the amount of thought that has gone into both the lyrics and the tune? and I mean MK's Lyric's and tunes are certainly something else!!

As for 'stinking' I'm not sure I follow personally....

I thought what I said was pretty clear.  I think KTGC, GL and Privateering are weak albums.  Even the best songs on them are not that great.  But if you think that each tune/track that Mark has ever recorded is great, I'm happy for you!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 08:24:56 PM »
Each to their own at the end of the day TJ...

I agree KTGC was very weak in fact the accompanying tour wasn't good either. MK didn't seem on top of his game at that particular point in time. But I do think that from GL onwards he has steadily got deeper with the songwriting and subsequent music making for one hell of a journey....

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 08:31:50 PM »
I will concede that GL and Privateering were better than KTGC...

And I think if Privateering had been cut down to 1 disc, maybe 13 or 14 songs, I would've liked it better.  As much as I like hearing b-sides and bonus tracks, there is something to be said for just putting your best product out there.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »
The only bonus as I see it from a fan's point of view is that it's great to collect the different 'sets' on offer to gain the bonus content, otherwise yes the 'average joe' will only buy the standard cd....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 41 queries.