Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Official New Music Thread  (Read 46833 times)

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
The Official New Music Thread
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »
This is a thread for people to suggest music that other members of the AMIT forum may be interested in. Thanks to forum member BPDNEDCID for coming up with the idea for this thread.

Please follow these three simple guidelines:

1. Link only to sites that are recognised as being legal. I'm going to stick my neck out and say that youtube and lastfm are legal. If anyone wants to link to an alternative site, please do your research and ensure that it is entirely 100% above board.
2. Please allow a minimum of two days before posting a new link to allow members time to listen and discuss the previous suggestion.
3. Please give other people a chance to post links. In practice this means that you shouldn't be posting two links in a row, if you've posted let somebody else post next.

You can link to any artist you want, but it's probably best to try to use some common sense - although you may be a fan of Norwegian death-metal, it may not be that appealing to a large constituency of AMIT members.  ;)

With that in mind I'll kick things off by recommending Teddy Thompson, the last artist I saw live.

Teddy is the son of Richard and Linda Thompson, but don't let the whiff of nepotism put you off. He's a very talented singer/songwriter in his own right, and just like MK he's collaborated with Emmylou Harris.

Here's a link to a song from his most recent album A Piece of What You Need with a tasty guitar solo on it. Enjoy!

http://www.last.fm/music/Teddy+Thompson/_/Don%27t+Know+What+I+Was+Thinking
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: The Official New Music Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 06:18:14 PM »
OK, I have listened to both of those clips:

Teddy Thompson - I really liked the song and would like to hear more of his work.   This is getting close to my kind of music!   :)

Chris Botti -   Hmm, not really my cup of tea at all.   I think an evening listening to him would give me a headache and I would have escaped by the interval!   Ave Maria is not a song I like much anyway, but much worse when played on the trumpet.  I didn't like the sustained note either.  Sorry BPD.    :(  It's a case of horses for courses.   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 06:40:55 PM »
and that is the feedback i like to see.
people liking and not liking proposals.
i also propose for the user who proposed a song, not to defend it in case someone doesn't like it, coz what is there to defend?? tastes differ.
love this thread guys,....
so no more new proposals now for how long??
coz 2 will do for a while, question is how long...
i like teddy's father a lot, so i assume i will like him as well.
will feedback later.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflineIrisRose

• Not just another angel
  • Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:44:52 PM »
Dusty, did I hear something about youtube banning 'covers' of artists' music, as being illegal because on youtube they became public performances and infringed on royalty rights?   Was it right here and my memory is going bad?    But if someone captured an MK concert, that would be legally posted?    And. . . . . are those uploads of MK official videos legal?     

At any rate, I don't think we could be penalized for posting a link to any of the above.  If the video is pulled from youtube, then the link will not work.   As long as youtube carries it, they would be the ones who are liable.       
But a spoonful of forgiveness
Goes a long, long way
And we all should do our best
To get along

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:46:56 PM »
i think it is difficult to "keep" the connection between the links in the one, and the comments in the other thread....
something we need to continue to think about it...

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 11:08:52 AM »
i think it is difficult to "keep" the connection between the links in the one, and the comments in the other thread....
something we need to continue to think about it...

Agreed.

I also stick by my suggestion that there be a period of time between links to give people a chance to listen and comment, whether or not that's two days I'm not sure. Maybe one day?

I expect there to be a flurry of initial activity then things to slow down once people have posted their favourite artists. At least with the two day wait we won't have the situation of sitting around for ages waiting for a reply from whoever posted the question like in the Quiz thread that we used to have.

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »
I like this guys,good idea BPDNEDCID  ;)

Being honest,I've never heard of teddy or Chris Botti before.As per the previous posters I liked Teddy more than Chris & could definitely see myself sitting listening to him for a few hours.When I listened to the link that Dusty put up I thought that he sounded a bit like Bruce Springsteen??? so I did a bit of searching on youtube - see what you think!Maybe its just that the songs are alike?

Once again a great idea for a thread - one question though,how do we know who's next to post an artist?
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »

Once again a great idea for a thread - one question though,how do we know who's next to post an artist?

The way I envisage it, ANYONE can be next to post, providing they didn't post the last link and at least two days have passed since the first recommendation, so basically anyone except me can post tomorrow.  :)

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 02:25:37 PM »
OK, my computer at work won't let me play the Amazon video, so I listened to this instead:

I'm assuming it's not hugely different.

I like Ave Maria, I sang it solo at a friend's wedding once.  :)

I can appreciate Mr Botti's skills as a muscian, but I wouldn't really listen to this again - I don't tend to listen to a lot of instrumental music except maybe guitar stuff by the likes of The Shadows, Chet Atkins and Duane Eddy.

But his trumpet tone was good, the start of this reminded me of the music from The Godfather.  :) I've seen him live with Sting in about 1998 I think, and I've seen Paul Simon live a few times but I'm not sure if Chris was there or not.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 02:40:13 PM »
It is quite a bit different from the Amazon version.  The trumpet on this sounds much more mellow, not so much triple-tonguing and no sustained notes. Obviously it's the official version, the Amazon was live.   Although I still don't like Ave Maria, this version was better for being diluted with a heavenly choir!  :)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 02:55:22 PM »
When I listened to the link that Dusty put up I thought that he sounded a bit like Bruce Springsteen??? so I did a bit of searching on youtube - see what you think!Maybe its just that the songs are alike?

Ha, hadn't noticed that, but now you come to mention it they are similar - though Teddy's song came our first.  :)

Never heard that version on the ukulele, but the original is my favourite TT song and maybe one of my favourite songs ever:

Funnily enough I just bought my soon-to-be-2 son a ukulele for his birthday - start 'em young I say!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 04:22:38 PM »
I find both of these songs too repetitive - too many "In my Arms" and too many "Working on a Dream" s!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 04:25:20 PM »
I take it you don't like True Love Will Never fade or This Is Us either then.  ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 04:35:31 PM »
No, I love both of those, in fact TLWNF is amongst my very favourite MK songs and I play it every day (the live version with the cittern).  BTW When I posted my previous remark, I knew exactly what your reply would be!  ;D 

I think it's because the words TLWNF are not repeated regularly throughout the song, just now and again.  It doesn't bother me one bit at the beginning either.  I loved this song right from the moment I first heard it.   It also has a very pretty melody, which the other two don't have and a very charismatic singer in MK!  ;)

I don't like "Do America" though!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 05:42:26 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 08:17:13 PM »
dooh, homer would say.
anyways. i think we have had it with these two links.
next links pls....
2 pieces....as soon as two are posted, hold on, listen to it and comment.....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 36 queries.