Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler 1958 Les Paul  (Read 68164 times)

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
Re: Mark Knopfler 1958 Les Paul
« Reply #90 on: November 18, 2016, 02:42:12 PM »
It was gone by the time I saw the dropbox link but stumbled across this on youtube:

Offlinejeffreyvr

• Local Hero
« Reply #91 on: November 18, 2016, 03:26:52 PM »
It was gone by the time I saw the dropbox link but stumbled across this on youtube:

Thanks for the link diremark86! Nice video... :)
Hey, don't forget your hat.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:48 PM »
The video is now official.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2016, 08:41:18 PM »
Ok, Mark is doing advertisement for very high (over?)priced guitar, this is business and he is part of it.

When you reflect about him saying they are great, well how could it be else?
These are selected instruments. So could you mind Gibson producing s..t for an ultra limited release? Of course not!

But I would be curious of Mark having a try on one randomly picked from the cheaper release.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2016, 10:20:11 PM »
Ok, Mark is doing advertisement for very high (over?)priced guitar, this is business and he is part of it.

When you reflect about him saying they are great, well how could it be else?
These are selected instruments. So could you mind Gibson producing s..t for an ultra limited release? Of course not!

But I would be curious of Mark having a try on one randomly picked from the cheaper release.

It's not dramatically overpriced over "cheap" "regular" "mundane" 1958 Historic Custom VOS LP:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_std_historic_lp_58_it_vos_2.htm

As you can see, it's about 1,000€ difference for it being MK version, also add 1,000€ for aged version and 1,000€ for signed.

Seems like people are crazy, but the most crazy thing is that ALL THE GUITARS FROM WILDWOOD ARE SOLD OUT already.

What can I say? Mark have some wealthy fans! And of course, there's no dramatic difference in these guitars at all.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2016, 01:35:59 AM »
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:50:10 AM by quizzaciously »

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2016, 03:02:57 PM »
Gibson is not in the market for low budget guitars. If your are aiming to replicate Marks LP 58 which is truely a stradivarius guitar - you better do it right. Judging from the video they did just that. It truely sounds amazing and Mark seems genuinely excited about them.

Im sure he will use these on stage instead of keep bringing the insanely valuable 1958 on tour.

Way to go Gibson and MK.

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2016, 03:58:04 PM »
IMO this is the most exciting thing Gibson has done in so many years (and I'm a big fan of Gibson and owner of a 57 LP and a 58 reissue). I really think they did a good job on these (based on looks of course, I haven't and probably won't be able to try one) and I think Mark's reaction is genuine  :) .

One thought: why do you guys think Mark agreed to this. I can't imagine the money he gets from it is needed for a man of his wealth. I guess it is just an exciting thing for him as a guitarist?

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2016, 04:32:16 PM »
IMO this is the most exciting thing Gibson has done in so many years (and I'm a big fan of Gibson and owner of a 57 LP and a 58 reissue). I really think they did a good job on these (based on looks of course, I haven't and probably won't be able to try one) and I think Mark's reaction is genuine  :) .

One thought: why do you guys think Mark agreed to this. I can't imagine the money he gets from it is needed for a man of his wealth. I guess it is just an exciting thing for him as a guitarist?

If you accept to do advertisement then you play the game.

Just that Mark limits advertisement to a selected area. He accept to play Gibson representative role but refuse to be involved with Coca Cola sort of companies.
Add as as already wrote that those guitars are selected products.

But "aged" reissue is a bit of non sense for me. If you are a guitarist what matter you is how good the instrument sounds. 
Aged and signed stuff  is primary good for fans and collector market.

As a teenager I dreamed to get an EC signature strat. Now I assume that it was just a teenager dream and that it would not make me a better guitarist.
That said, as already written, the high valued MK reissue are 50 selected guitars and it would be a shame not to be up the the standards it is aimed to be.
I wonder if the VOS ones have been selected with same care...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2016, 04:43:17 PM »
I really don't know what would come next from Mark. First he released his "first double album" which would be so much better without all this blues, then he "fired" Chuck Ainlay, then he played "Broken Bones" as an opener. Okay... what's next? Here, take my new $11,000 guitar. Seriously, Mark? I know it's great for you, but for you only I'm afraid.

I'm perfectly positive and in a good mood, I just can't understand some moves by our hero, and there's more and more strange moves. I'm hoping for a good new album. Seems like Mark has aimed himself to please himself more than ever before, and we fans might as well just shut up.

Of course, there was ridiculous Martin MK Signature acoustic guitars, but I can get when an acoustic guitar, especially Martin, worth $7,000. But Les Paul? Oh, please. It was a regular production guitar back in 1958, and retailed for $375 which is roughly $3,000 in today's money. Just like a Standard Les Paul. Thanks, I'll get this one instead.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2016, 05:36:01 PM »
With all of this being said, I know these guitars are meant to be expensive, but when I look at this:

I think to myself, what about a book of your lyrics in a leather cover with your signature, Mark? What about something like this in a limited deluxe box?

"You've got to please yourself", — Mark Knopfler

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2016, 07:18:46 PM »
$11.000...

Hey Rudy, I'll take two!
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2016, 07:49:33 PM »
I really don't know what would come next from Mark. First he released his "first double album" which would be so much better without all this blues, then he "fired" Chuck Ainlay, then he played "Broken Bones" as an opener. Okay... what's next? Here, take my new $11,000 guitar. Seriously, Mark? I know it's great for you, but for you only I'm afraid.

I'm perfectly positive and in a good mood, I just can't understand some moves by our hero, and there's more and more strange moves. I'm hoping for a good new album. Seems like Mark has aimed himself to please himself more than ever before, and we fans might as well just shut up.

Of course, there was ridiculous Martin MK Signature acoustic guitars, but I can get when an acoustic guitar, especially Martin, worth $7,000. But Les Paul? Oh, please. It was a regular production guitar back in 1958, and retailed for $375 which is roughly $3,000 in today's money. Just like a Standard Les Paul. Thanks, I'll get this one instead.

For the Gibson MK signature run I think this is a deal that came from Gibson.
Right, Mark could have refused.
But nobody force us to buy, just that it hurts in some way our own values, not being able to afford one may make us feel like second class citizen and provide a frustration feel.
Mark is a business man, he run a studio and an art gallery and collects higly valuable cars.
There are things he accept to do and others he doesn't.

Love Expresso

« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2016, 09:03:41 PM »
I never heard of Mark running an Art Gallery?  :hmm

LE

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2016, 10:58:55 PM »
I never heard of Mark running an Art Gallery?  :hmm

LE

I though he does have some invests in one a couple of years ago. Can't retrieve where I read that.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 41 queries.