Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler 1958 Les Paul  (Read 68172 times)

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
Re: Mark Knopfler 1958 Les Paul
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2016, 10:23:09 PM »

Congrats on the find! How does it play?

Thanks! I have a VOS and a signed model. The signed model hasn't been delivered yet. I have only played the VOS for about 5 minutes. It plays like a young man's dreams!!! As it should. Actually, at the price point, it should play itself lol. I am sure I will part with one of the two at some point, and until I decide which one, they will remain in their cases in a climate controlled room.

If anyone happens to see any magazine articles about this release (which will be published long after they are all gone) please let the forum know. I know many people will looking to snag a few copies.

Offlineknopfler1

• Camerado
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2016, 10:39:39 PM »
Fantastic. I'm hoping a VOS edition will pop up somewhere. I was going to move on #53 on my break at work today and seen it was reserved.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2016, 08:30:21 AM »
*** AGED & SIGNED ON eBAY ALERT ***

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Gibson-Custom-MARK-KNOPFLER-1958-True-Historic-LES-PAUL-Aged-Signed-/332041106854?hash=item4d4f3135a6:g:vWoAAOSwXeJYNNBJ

Oh my goddess it's sold already for $9,999. This world can amaze me every day. Guitar was up for sale for about couple of hours.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2016, 11:23:40 AM »
Why are you so surprised? Mark Knopfler is a guitar playing, songwriting legend. I can't think of anyone else who can write music and lyrics, and play guitar, and produce to as high a stand as Mark. There are a lot of good songwriters, but to combine that with his guitar ability? Even Clapton can't do that, he has written as many songs on his as Mark. Dylan is a great songwriter, but can not compete with Mark as a player.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2016, 11:29:43 AM »
Why are you so surprised? Mark Knopfler is a guitar playing, songwriting legend. I can't think of anyone else who can write music and lyrics, and play guitar, and produce to as high a stand as Mark. There are a lot of good songwriters, but to combine that with his guitar ability? Even Clapton can't do that, he has written as many songs on his as Mark. Dylan is a great songwriter, but can not compete with Mark as a player.

Exactly!   He's the complete musician.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »

I'm surprised because it was a $10k purchase done just in a couple of hours, you know? And it's a brand new guitar. And the whole issue are being sold like that, you can't blink your eye by the time these guitars get sold. Even MK Strat can last longer, but what we have here is a kind of hysteria.

But as far as I can see, many people buy these merely as an investment, which is sad.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2016, 11:51:32 AM »

I'm surprised because it was a $10k purchase done just in a couple of hours, you know? And it's a brand new guitar. And the whole issue are being sold like that, you can't blink your eye by the time these guitars get sold. Even MK Strat can last longer, but what we have here is a kind of hysteria.

But as far as I can see, many people buy these merely as an investment, which is sad.

I agree with you quizzy.   These guitars are meant to be played, not kept in a cupboard until the price rises.  I find it sad too.   :-\
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #128 on: November 23, 2016, 12:23:33 PM »
I also agree, they should be bought to be played. But no matter what the product and what the price is, there will always be someone around with enough money to buy it.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlineswitaki

• Guitar George
« Reply #129 on: November 23, 2016, 06:18:33 PM »
Wow i heisitated a little on this purchase not expecting the demand to be anywhere near this... Big mistake lol.  I'm sure its a longshot but if anyone has a line on an Aged and Signed still available, please PM me.  As someone who plays their instruments daily, Im quite disappointed at the prospect of not being able to find one.

Thanks guys, appreciate it!

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
One more reason why Fender is far superior than Gibson. Not only their guitars have a better weight control, stays in tune better, have a whammy bar by default, they're utilitarian as it can get, no fancy fretboard binding which makes fretjob much harder and expensive etc, etc.
Come on man... I say this as an owner of both a Custom Shop Strat 57 and two Gibson LP's (a Custom Shop 58 and a vintage 57 Jr). If a Gibson can't stay in tune, it's not setup well or the method of tuning is wrong. A whammy bar as a default isn't always superior. It's a taste thing. Have you ever played a guitar with only a wrap around bridge (like a Jr or special for instance)? There are plenty of Gibsons without bindings and maple tops. One could also argue that an expensive Fender is more money for less work than an expensive Gibson. Did you see what the CS Blackie signature strats went for?

BTW, I'm not trying to attack you or anything  ;) . And I'm not a fanboy of one or the other, I love both brands as much and at the same time I see so many of their faults. I'd say they're just as bad... (and still we accept them  ;D )

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2016, 12:28:53 PM »
One more reason why Fender is far superior than Gibson. Not only their guitars have a better weight control, stays in tune better, have a whammy bar by default, they're utilitarian as it can get, no fancy fretboard binding which makes fretjob much harder and expensive etc, etc.
Come on man... I say this as an owner of both a Custom Shop Strat 57 and two Gibson LP's (a Custom Shop 58 and a vintage 57 Jr). If a Gibson can't stay in tune, it's not setup well or the method of tuning is wrong. A whammy bar as a default isn't always superior. It's a taste thing. Have you ever played a guitar with only a wrap around bridge (like a Jr or special for instance)? There are plenty of Gibsons without bindings and maple tops. One could also argue that an expensive Fender is more money for less work than an expensive Gibson. Did you see what the CS Blackie signature strats went for?

BTW, I'm not trying to attack you or anything  ;) . And I'm not a fanboy of one or the other, I love both brands as much and at the same time I see so many of their faults. I'd say they're just as bad... (and still we accept them  ;D )

Very good and polite point! I had the LP Traditional and a Studio models and they both was pain in the neck to tune. But hey, even Joe Bonamassa have to lubricate his LP's nuts just in order for it to stay in tune, this issue is common. You kind of need to have a roadie with you all the time to fix the damn thing :lol

I love Gibsons, I love their headstock design, but in other hand you need to pay for the beauty and I mean pay with tuning issues. Funny like there's no such thing as a perfect guitar. PRS managed to combine stability of a Strat with a sound of LP, but they would not sell to me their design in this lifetime...

OfflineMasiakasaurus

• Camerado
« Reply #132 on: November 25, 2016, 04:52:28 PM »

Very good and polite point! I had the LP Traditional and a Studio models and they both was pain in the neck to tune. But hey, even Joe Bonamassa have to lubricate his LP's nuts just in order for it to stay in tune, this issue is common. You kind of need to have a roadie with you all the time to fix the damn thing :lol

I love Gibsons, I love their headstock design, but in other hand you need to pay for the beauty and I mean pay with tuning issues. Funny like there's no such thing as a perfect guitar. PRS managed to combine stability of a Strat with a sound of LP, but they would not sell to me their design in this lifetime...
Oh yeah, I totally get what you mean! PRS and other similar designs should in theory be perfect, but I can't bond with them for some reason. I'm sure that the brand and the looking at pictures of your heroes when you're a kid has such an impact on you that you're willing to put up with all the shenanigans Gibson and Fender (especially Gibson these last years...) are up to  :lol .

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #133 on: November 25, 2016, 10:21:16 PM »

But with so limited run, Gibson is feeding the collector market...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #134 on: November 25, 2016, 11:44:42 PM »

I agree with you quizzy.   These guitars are meant to be played, not kept in a cupboard until the price rises.  I find it sad too.   :-\

Couldn't agree more.  It's the way of the world seemingly these days that people are money obsessed. :(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.