Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The Long Highway - Studio version  (Read 12681 times)

Offlinejoko

• Camerado
The Long Highway - Studio version
« on: August 08, 2017, 02:52:45 PM »
I am looking for the studio version of LH, but can't find it nowhere. I have already the acoustic version (Timothy White session ) and some very good live version (Hamburg, Vaison ). I bought also the CD Sailing to Philadelphia (2000), but this CD contains only 13 songs. I am sure there must have been a limited edition of this CD with 4 bonus tracks. Knows somebody where to get this CD or at least primarily the studio version of the song Long Highway ?
servus

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Re: The Long Highway - Studio version
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »
That's the What it is Maxi-Single you are looking for

for example this one on Ebay: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Mark-Knopfler-What-it-is-Maxi-CD-Rock-/322562110855?hash=item4b1a333587:g:5igAAOSwAO9ZShZp

And here is the Studio Version on Youtube:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 03:10:35 PM by Dutchessy »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 05:44:18 PM »
One of the greatest songs he ever wrote. Still can't believe it ended up as a b-side of a single. Other people would kill to write one song like this in their whole life.  :smack

Offlinejoko

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:07:07 PM »
@Dutchessy
thanks for the youtube link ... exactly what I was looking for. The What it is -Maxi-CD is new for me ... but I meant instead the limited  edition of the CD Sailing to Philadelphia (2000) --> http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_Knopfler:Sailing_To_Philadelphia_(2000)

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 06:07:24 PM »
One of the greatest songs he ever wrote. Still can't believe it ended up as a b-side of a single. Other people would kill to write one song like this in their whole life.  :smack

Couldn't say it better!  :thumbsup

Love Expresso

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »
Those were the times... put out  as an appetizer for the STP album, that maxi-CD had four tracks on it: What It is, Let's See You, Long Highway and Camerado.. pure quality!

I also fell in love with The Long Highway studio Version immediately with the first listen and agree that it is one of his very best songs! Connecting it live with Going Home back in 1996 was really a brilliant idea and a phantastic  show closer. How surprised I was at the Hamburg show to get a new song at the end of an already more-than-phantastic concert! June 8th 1996 best concert I ever attended, I guess...  Hey joko Servus und Moin!

LE
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:24:53 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »
@Dutchessy
thanks for the youtube link ... exactly what I was looking for. The What it is -Maxi-CD is new for me ... but I meant instead the limited  edition of the CD Sailing to Philadelphia (2000) --> http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_Knopfler:Sailing_To_Philadelphia_(2000)

As far as I know there is no such thing as a limited edition of the STP cd.

There were three different editions, the one worlwide with 13 songs, one in USA that didn´t have "One More Matinee" and has instead "Do America" and the one only for the UK with both "Do America" and "One More Matinee".

There were two great rare items, the "What It Is" maxicd with three unreleased tracks "Let´s see you", "Long Highway" and "Camerado" and the "What It Is" mexican cdsingle that had a larger version of What It Is with extra lyrics that were cut out in the record. That version is only available in the Mexican cd single.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 08:50:15 AM »
That version is only available in the Mexican cd single.

I could never understand what kind of sadistic person at the record company it was who would come up with that idea.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 08:53:14 AM »

I could never understand what kind of sadistic person at the record company it was who would come up with that idea.

It was a mistake... That longer version was supposed to be deleted from anywhere, but somehow it ended in that Mexican cdsingle... so, lucky we ;)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 08:53:59 AM »
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 01:13:31 PM by Dutchessy »

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 10:01:32 AM »
Those were the times... put out  as an appetizer for the STP album, that maxi-CD had four tracks on it: What It is, Let's See You, Long Highway and Camerado.. pure quality!

I also fell in love with The Long Highway studio Version immediately with the first listen and agree that it is one of his very best songs! Connecting it live with Going Home back in 1996 was really a brilliant idea and a phantastic  show closer. How surprised I was at the Hamburg show to get a new song at the end of an already more-than-phantastic concert! June 8th 1996 best concert I ever attended, I guess...  Hey joko Servus und Moin!

LE

Yeah, great times. But no reason to be overly nostalgic, in my opinion. Actually, I reacted to "Follow the Ribbon" the same way as I reacted to "Long Highway" back then – with tears. The similarities are striking: Both fantastic songs, both very emotional, both released as bonus tracks, only, for whatever strange reason ... Anyway, I'm glad that they exist and shouldn't complain.

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
A wonderful song indeed, but personally I am not too fond of the rhythmical accents on 1 and 2 in the studio version, still very good though.

There also is the DVD-A version which got hi-res stereo and a 5.1 surround mix (containing the 8 extra bars at the start of the STP solo, as on the PI compilation). Furthermore, there is the STP maxi single which got live in the studio versions of Baloney Again, Going Home (both very good, just MK+Guy) and El Macho (not so good, usual promo band). 

Love Expresso

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 01:20:19 PM »

LE

Yeah, great times. But no reason to be overly nostalgic, in my opinion. Actually, I reacted to "Follow the Ribbon" the same way as I reacted to "Long Highway" back then – with tears. The similarities are striking: Both fantastic songs, both very emotional, both released as bonus tracks, only, for whatever strange reason ... Anyway, I'm glad that they exist and shouldn't complain.

Did I complain? :hmm

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »

It was a mistake... That longer version was supposed to be deleted from anywhere, but somehow it ended in that Mexican cdsingle... so, lucky we ;)

It's a curiosity certainly.  One would normally expect an edited version for a single and the full length version to be included on the album.  I always enjoy hearing the extra verse.

Isn't there an edited version of Long Highway out there?  Anywhere!!!  :disbelief
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejoko

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 03:46:56 PM »

LE
Servus LE ... great to hear from you.
I agree to all and I love this song too  ... more and more ... and has become very important for me. But in the context of the lyric I can't understand the line "spare a thought for a vagabond". Obviously I can't find the correct translation. Would helpful for me, if you could tell me your interpretation ...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 42 queries.