Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (07) My Bacon Roll  (Read 62328 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: (07) My Bacon Roll ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2018, 07:50:04 PM »
This is another MK gem - this is what he does best lyrically, something that seems quite basic on the surface but actually has a lot of depth to it. Terrific song.

Personally I don't care how great this song is lyrically speaking. It's ridiculous to name the song "My Bacon Roll", it sounds like a working title at best. You know that the song "Yesterday" by Paul McCartney had a working title "Scrambled Eggs"? I can't believe Mark produces such a ridiculous titles and puts it on the main album.

Oh, I'm sorry, "negative" comments are prohibited here on AMIT. I'm so sorry, really, I never meant to say it. The album is great! My Bacon Roll is my favourite MK song now :lol From the man who wrote Brothers In Arms, feast you eyes on My Bacon Roll! :lol

It's just the title. Do you remember Old Pigweed? :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2018, 07:51:49 PM »
Exactly LE. Let's talk about texts. I'm totally lost :hmm
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »
The title is perfect for the emotion in the song - the feeling and position of the character.

Love Expresso

« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2018, 09:56:00 PM »
The title is perfect for the emotion in the song - the feeling and position of the character.

Why? Please explain. Would be very grateful.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2018, 08:21:17 AM »
I woke up this morning with "scuse me, scuse me, my bacon roll" going around in my head!    I love the song, but it just seems strange that such a pretty song is about a bacon roll!   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »
I woke up this morning with "scuse me, scuse me, my bacon roll" going around in my head!    I love the song, but it just seems strange that such a pretty song is about a bacon roll!   :)

Thats something going around my mind... Maybe that "excuse me have you got my roll, my bacon roll" has any other meaning, like slang, idioms, English expression? The song sounds quite nice but I'd like to think it has other deeper meaning...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2018, 09:19:53 AM »
Don't know honestly what you can find SO appealing in this song, seems like it took Mark 1 hour in the morning to write it. He can do better.

If you forget about the lyrics, musically is a great song with a nice feeling, a catching melody. I understand why you mean with he can do better, lyrics sounds silly, specially the chorus. I'd like to think it has a meaning that non English we don't get, but besides that, musically is great.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2018, 09:22:37 AM »
I never got the elbow - didn’t get sacked
I slung it in - I quit my job
Had it up to here - he’s had it up to his neck
I just pulled the pin - ACTUAL meaning = uncouple train by pulling the pin - If you pull the pin, you put an end to something, quit or resign.
I used to love a bit of folding - slang for a roll of folding money
Just for getting by - surviving
As pie and mash - Shepard's pie = meat pie and mashed potato
S’cuse me, s’cuse me - pardon me, EXcuse me
My bacon roll? - A favourite breakfast (takeaway or cafe) in UK - in Oz it’s Egg & bacon with red or brown SAUCE
I could order you a toastie - a more recent breakfast brunch favourite toasted sandwich
Brown or red? - SAUCE

Maybe starting from here we can build a meaning... I recall Love Expresso being good at it. Would you like to give it a try?

OfflineFletch

• Romeo
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »
I'm torn on whether the protagonist is now working and customers are saying "where's my roll?", while he reminisces about folding money and a former career awash with team building exercises.
or
He's the one asking for his roll and the last verse, "I could order you a toastie..." is someone else addressing him. But that makes less sense?
This is a vague story. Wish there were just a few clues to give me a Ragpickers Dream type tale!
Hey, i`ve got a truffle dog - finally a song the ordinary man can relate too!

hunter

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »
I'm torn on whether the protagonist is now working and customers are saying "where's my roll?", while he reminisces about folding money and a former career awash with team building exercises.

Interesting take on it. Does not seem implausible.

Love Expresso

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »
or
He's the one asking for his roll and the last verse, "I could order you a toastie..." is someone else addressing him. But that makes less sense?
This is a vague story. Wish there were just a few clues to give me a Ragpickers Dream type tale!

The first part l Iike. Someone who had a career and now "only" works in a greasy spoon, trying to justify by telling that he made that decision on his own?

LE

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2018, 10:05:00 AM »
Re the title - and the feel I get from the song - the specifics are not as important, to me, as the feel of it. The feeling I get from the song is something noble - something about feeling out of date and out of place - about teaching an old dog new tricks - about surface facilie corporate characters and forced, worthless, faked team constructions - the protagonist felt out of place - out of time - finds comfort in familiar surroundings - here represented by an old familiar cafe - things more simple yet more genuine at that - more real - a bacon roll - the usual order - toastie's available too - red sauce or brown sauce. The title therefore represents the familiar, the comfortable - the routine - not being out of place or out of time. The music around it is both wistful and stately.

Love Expresso

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2018, 10:10:20 AM »
Because the feel of this song is so appealing to me I WANT to know the specifics.. Trapper Man for example lost it's appeal to me with sounding like a top-40-radio-airplay-song. My Bacon Roll is the most interesting and appealing song to me right now.

"When you're  dealing with a toastie which do you prefer" ... does a man behind the counter speak this way to a customer?  :think

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2018, 10:12:58 AM »
I think he's the waiter and he's explaining to a customer, maybe someone who he knows, why he's now working in the cafe.   He left his job voluntarily, he didn't get the elbow, because he was tired of all the team building etc and was outside of his comfort zone - he is much more comfortable working in the cafe.   The customer asks where is his bacon roll and he is offered, as an alternative, a toastie.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:16:16 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »
 By specifics - I mean (for me!) I don;t need to know exactly who is who talking to whom etc - I prefer for the listener to decide those things for themselves and those things can change for each listener. The feel of the song is clear I think - the feeling of the singer...and that "i didn't get the elbow" - that sounds like a touch of the Lady doth protest too much to me!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 45 queries.