Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (13) Heavy Up  (Read 36429 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: (13) Heavy Up
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2018, 07:25:59 AM »
It took a while but finally this one was the prize of my skipper song of the record.

I have the full cd with bonus in my car and the last three listenings to it, I skipped heavy up without hesitation.

I have that with Just a boy. Can't listen to it. I deleted it from my playlist. Bit harsh but it's the truth. I love heavy up on the other hand. Funny it stays, the different taste people have!

I can't bear Just a Boy either.  Apart from not liking the slide guitar, or Junkie Doll/Donegan, I feel it is in the wrong place on the album tracking order - it spoils the flow between Nobody's Child and When You Leave.   Heavy Up is OK at the moment, but I'm beginning to feel bored with it now.
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2018, 09:37:14 AM »
It took a while but finally this one was the prize of my skipper song of the record.

I have the full cd with bonus in my car and the last three listenings to it, I skipped heavy up without hesitation.

I have that with Just a boy. Can't listen to it. I deleted it from my playlist. Bit harsh but it's the truth. I love heavy up on the other hand. Funny it stays, the different taste people have!

I can't bear Just a Boy either.  Apart from not liking the slide guitar, or Junkie Doll/Donegan, I feel it is in the wrong place on the album tracking order - it spoils the flow between Nobody's Child and When You Leave.   Heavy Up is OK at the moment, but I'm beginning to feel bored with it now.

I like Just a Boy, but I think the You'll Never Walk Alone quote got old a bit quick. It's something that would work as spontaneous improvisation, but to listen to it again and again - I don't know. Maybe because it's so long.

Overall, as far as the entire album is concerned, I have to say the honeymoon phase passed a bit too quickly. Perhaps I've just become too blasé and picky.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2018, 03:50:50 PM »
"Heavy Up" seems to me to be in a similar vein to "Tall Order Baby" and "What Have I Got To Do" from the Cannibals EP and I wonder if it was a left-over from Golden Heart?    :think   
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2018, 05:38:21 PM »
"Heavy Up" seems to me to be in a similar vein to "Tall Order Baby" and "What Have I Got To Do" from the Cannibals EP and I wonder if it was a left-over from Golden Heart?    :think   

Good, valid point's there Val....... :wave
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2018, 06:11:47 PM »

But a new recording, then? Different vocals (Mark's) plus the backing vocals. Musically though it has the same happy clappy feel to it as for instance What Have I Got To Do.

OfflineLis

• Lady writer
  • Heap big trouble in the land of plenty.
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2019, 07:44:46 AM »
Back to the song.

We haven't really discussed the lyric.

MK REALLY having a go at music critics in this one.

Is he actually turning into a grumpy old man?
I love this song.  Such a happy-sounding song as MK take a some serious digs at the critics.   I don't see this quite as a grumpy old man, rather I think this him taking a fun, but precise dig at his critics.  "I’m afraid, alas, the turd... Who thinks he’s an ice cream."  haha! 
If you ain’t got whiskey
(really, seriously) Don’t tell me that you ain’t got gin

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2019, 09:31:22 AM »
Just to add a potential twist to the discussion ... we know MK’s songs often have multiple meanings and may be about many stories.
In Scotland, a pint of bitter (ale) is a pint of “heavy”. Similarly, a pint of mild is “light”. It could be why should I buy you a pint of bitter if you won’t get me a mild. Or even drink-wars...why do you drink mild, go for bitter! Or teasing ‘this is a man’s drink’.
Just a thought!
Overall I’d still say it’s a fun tongue in cheek song rather than the ramblings of a grumpy old man!

OfflineSimon (formerley known as Simon)

• Guitar George
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »
'Lighten up' is a phrase we have in the UK. It means 'come on.. see things from my perspective' (my own definition). And what he is saying is .. if you want me to lighten up for you why not you 'heavy up' for me. i.e come down to my level rather than me go up to yours. Its basically a play on words - its a song about nothing. And to cap it all it is a very very poor attempt at a song in my opinion. Its like watching TV and an advert comes on and this is the backing track for an orange juice or breakfast product. Its so basic I just cant comprehend it came from the man himself.

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »
Yes, yes, you've made your point!    :lol   :clap   I still hate FB though!   ::)
  ;D :thumbsup
so do I plus the planet i live on as well, but still keep on to carry on on it
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2019, 09:24:54 PM »
Off to work so I don't have time to quote the exact points but it's absolutely clear to me. No doubt in my mind.
:thumbsup
that envelope one of my initial ideas as well, along with the ignorance towards a band member, or even, perhaps, fans (or critics in general)
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2020, 12:28:47 PM »
I'm not Spotify premium member, so when listen to music on spotify I got adds from time to time. When I'm listening "DTRW" on Spotify and "Heavy Up" starts I always thinks it's an add, LOL
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2021, 03:25:30 AM »
After another listen to this track, I'm not overly keen on it still but I did think today it was a bit like 'My Parties' in it's own weird way......
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2024, 10:30:44 AM »
Having a day off, I started it with a cup of coffee and this song which still is a favourite of mine from this album. It amuses me that it almost has become a running-gag in bashing it as a total failure by many amiters. It is such a cool song, I love the solos, the rhythm section on this and don't care a bit about the lyrics. Just wanted to rub that in!  ;D

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 41 queries.