Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: My review - **SPOILERS about songs**  (Read 45959 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: My review - **SPOILERS about songs**
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2018, 10:31:21 PM »
Which song moves you the most in terms of guitar? I mean, Which one has the best moving solo in your opinion?

In fact the best moving solos FOR ME, are the trumpet ones on when you leave and slow learner.
these two songs move me the most

I love the other songs, but not in term of "moving",  more in term of "grooving", "driving", if you see what I mean
There is no moving solo ala BIA , YAYF, etc..it's not this kind of guitars. It's more "ambient style" ala JJ cale, this kind of feeling, or a little bit "rocking" guitars (careful, I mean in MK's world, all is relative, don't expect too much though  ;)) but there are not "epic" or "long" solos
It's more an overall sound feeling.
I have the impresion to hear the same guy who sings and play when it comes to you, millionaire blues, someday, six blade knife, ride across the river...that kind of "atmosphere" song (I think this word is more relevant than "ambient")

sorry for typos, I fixed them :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 11:14:48 PM by JF »

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2018, 10:39:21 PM »
"someday, six blade knife, ride across the river...

and my heart beat harder
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2018, 07:34:45 PM »
I listened today album Eric Clapton Pilgrim and I wonder if similar female vocals are on the new MK album. I think about proportions.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:58:28 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2018, 12:25:48 AM »
I listened today album Eric Clapton Pilgrim and I wonder if similar female vocals are on the new MK album. I think about proportions.

I must admit I don't know this album (only by name)
I love EC, but mostly his 60-70-80 career, and also Journeyman and Unplugged.
I am not much interested on what he 's done after that

so I can't answer

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2018, 12:50:02 AM »
I understand :) Pilgrim is the last album by Eric that I really like. Fully original. The first song "My Father's Eyes" with female choirs inspired me and I thought about the new album MK. I think about him all the time :)
Clear as the day

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2018, 08:14:24 AM »
I understand :) Pilgrim is the last album by Eric that I really like. Fully original. The first song "My Father's Eyes" with female choirs inspired me and I thought about the new album MK. I think about him all the time :)
I got Pilgrim, in there is a most beautiful song that he done ever, River or tears, and other pretty things, but IMO the sound of the whole album is too Babyfaced, too far from my tastes, that are for the classic-rock-blues. Hope that DTRW is an album where sinths stuffs are used in soft way... :thumbsup

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2018, 08:24:06 AM »

so I can't answer

I like very much the trio "Pilgrim-Reptile-Back Home", is like a biographic thing about EC, it starts with EC singing to the lost of his son Connor and linking it with his absent father and him being Connor's father, with a travel to his childhood in "Reptile" and going "Back home" after healing himself from all his grieve.

After that trio of records, the following ones were ok but not as good as that three, at least to me. It's true that Pilgrim has a too modern sound, with too much programming but it doesn't bothers me at all. That three records represent to me the last ones that EC did trying to search for his musical path in the 90's and 2000's, after Back Home, he stops searching and enjoy the results of that search.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2018, 08:43:12 AM »
I like Pilgrim quite a lot, especially the quality of the songs, but the electronic/programmed drums sound rather awful. The song Broken Hearted, for instance, sounds fantastic up until the point where the electronic drums kick in.

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2018, 09:59:17 PM »
Month.
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2018, 10:11:00 PM »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
Clear as the day

OnlineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2018, 02:48:39 PM »

so I can't answer

I like very much the trio "Pilgrim-Reptile-Back Home", is like a biographic thing about EC, it starts with EC singing to the lost of his son Connor and linking it with his absent father and him being Connor's father, with a travel to his childhood in "Reptile" and going "Back home" after healing himself from all his grieve.

After that trio of records, the following ones were ok but not as good as that three, at least to me. It's true that Pilgrim has a too modern sound, with too much programming but it doesn't bothers me at all. That three records represent to me the last ones that EC did trying to search for his musical path in the 90's and 2000's, after Back Home, he stops searching and enjoy the results of that search.

I can see what you see in Pilgrim, but oh boy, I've just heard Claptons version of Jingle Bells (off his Christmas album, in memory of Avicii), and it's just SO embarrassing. Made me realize that I really shouldn't complain too much about Guy Fletcher's (negative, IMO) infuence on Mark's mucic. This (Clapton doing Avicii) is on a whole other lever of awfulness.

Love Expresso

« Reply #162 on: October 14, 2018, 03:02:11 PM »
Guy Fletcher is keeping up with what started with Brothers in Arms from my point of view. Apart from some small slips (Coyote synth horns, Beryl) I really love what he is doing in general. He can create synth landscapes that really give Mark's songs a new, broader dimension. Hill Farmer's Blues, Sucker Row, Before Gas & TV, all good examples. The point about some fresh input by some other producer is alright with me, but not because Guy world have made too many mistakes. Good On You Son only exists because of Guy I could imagine.

LE

OnlineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2018, 03:17:13 PM »
Guy Fletcher is keeping up with what started with Brothers in Arms from my point of view. Apart from some small slips (Coyote synth horns, Beryl) I really love what he is doing in general. He can create synth landscapes that really give Mark's songs a new, broader dimension. Hill Farmer's Blues, Sucker Row, Before Gas & TV, all good examples. The point about some fresh input by some other producer is alright with me, but not because Guy world have made too many mistakes. Good On You Son only exists because of Guy I could imagine.

LE

I understand what you say about creating landscapes. And I must admit that it "works" on many songs. The songs you mention are among my favourites (didn't notice that Before Gas & TV contains synths, though, does it? That would be kind of ironic given the title). And it's not that Guy wouldn't have a good ear, or that he wouldn't know what keys to play. He does. I just whish he'd play them on a proper instrument, as he did on Shangri-La. But yeah, right, at least he doesn't do Avicii. ;)

Love Expresso

« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2018, 05:39:17 PM »
Maybe it's organ on Gas & TV ... and he plays all pianos on Tracker, Silver Eagle for example.

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 43 queries.