Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DTRW - Bonus vinyl tracks!!  (Read 77434 times)

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
Re: DTRW - Bonus vinyl tracks!!
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2018, 12:51:02 PM »
I don't always agree with Herlock on matters audio, but I happen to be with him 100% here! Although I suspect there could be debate about whether even the best ADC is 100% perfect. But in practice, every turntable, arm, cartridge, phono preamp is different and will produce different sound, and that will swamp likely differences in ADC quality.

(Incidentally - and I don't think Herlock will be interested in this - I asked Guy why there has been no hi res digital release of the new album. He said 'good question' and he'll look into it.)

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2018, 12:52:40 PM »
Thanks, very interesting. Awaiting opposite opinions here  ;D as usual ...

How comes that vinyl people use terms like "warmer" and "fuller" when explaining their love for it?

LE

It's not difficult to design gear that has those characteristics - rather than truth to the original signal - and it wouldn't be hard to mimic it in digital if that's what's wanted.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2018, 12:53:20 PM »
Thanks, very interesting. Awaiting opposite opinions here  ;D as usual ...

How comes that vinyl people use terms like "warmer" and "fuller" when explaining their love for it?

LE
It's irrational. Maybe because of the crack noises that are reminiscent of ancient times ? :)
Anyway, the vinyl is a good medium to restitute audio, it can be made to sound very good, so, fine if people love it. I just don't, because it is not practical: big, required to operate the turntable, not easy to copy... But hey, I don't judge. I have nothing against vinyl, I am just aware that there is no rationale for it's so-called technical superiority.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2018, 12:55:34 PM »
I don't always agree with Herlock on matters audio, but I happen to be with him 100% here! Although I suspect there could be debate about whether even the best ADC is 100% perfect. But in practice, every turntable, arm, cartridge, phono preamp is different and will produce different sound, and that will swamp likely differences in ADC quality.

(Incidentally - and I don't think Herlock will be interested in this - I asked Guy why there has been no hi res digital release of the new album. He said 'good question' and he'll look into it.)
Well the lossy vs. Lossless debate is pretty easy.
The "HD" vs. Redbook CD one can be heated and religious :) I stick to my opinion that HD is pure bullshit ;)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »
I have an idea. Why to have boring shows with fair admission tickets? Let's have Deluxe show edition — all the encores is only for people with $$$ :lol

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2018, 01:34:06 PM »
I have an idea. Why to have boring shows with fair admission tickets? Let's have Deluxe show edition — all the encores is only for people with $$$ :lol
And for the super-rich, you get a peep-show from Ruth Moody ? :)

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »

I am okay with the fact that there are deluxe editions with special features (bonus songs). Of course it would be nice to have them also digitally.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »
I seems to recall someone (Ingrid?) would communicate with PCM expressing our disappointment with the digital download having just the 14 standard editions songs and not the 19 songs in the box. Any news about it?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »
I seems to recall someone (Ingrid?) would communicate with PCM expressing our disappointment with the digital download having just the 14 standard editions songs and not the 19 songs in the box. Any news about it?

Everyone that has the box should be complaining.  Taking into account the snippet we have from MKNews it appears to me that the three bonus tracks were supposed to be available from the download code and it is an oversight.  They could easily make them available.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2018, 02:11:49 PM »
Soundbites for the bonus tracks are indeed here on the MK news website...

https://www.mark-knopfler-news.co.uk/releases/wherever/

WTF  >:( :think  :smack amatuers

it's like saying 'we have them but you can't have them', its really upsetting and disturbing, especially because of 'Dont Suck Me In' thats pure magic, it really and deeply makes you travel back in time to the first DS album in 1978, first song of the whole solo career doing this
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2018, 02:12:57 PM »
Someone asked Guy:

As you know, the download code that came with the super deluxe box set is only for the main album itself. None of the bonus tracks were included, as they have always been in previous box sets. Can you reach out to someone to find out if this is a mistake and help get it corrected? Lots of us with no method of playing back vinyl are missing out on these tracks right now.

GF:

I’ve asked the question. Will post response here when I get it.

Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2018, 02:23:12 PM »
Someone asked Guy:

As you know, the download code that came with the super deluxe box set is only for the main album itself. None of the bonus tracks were included, as they have always been in previous box sets. Can you reach out to someone to find out if this is a mistake and help get it corrected? Lots of us with no method of playing back vinyl are missing out on these tracks right now.

GF:

I’ve asked the question. Will post response here when I get it.

well written question, hope it gets fixed, otherwise it's absurd
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineIan Lewis

• Camerado
    • Ian Lewis Photography
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2018, 02:26:44 PM »
A lot of confusion here...
The lossy / lossless debate is relevant when comparing digital files - some being lossy, i.e. using psychoacoustic algorithms to eliminate some low volume frequencies at some times, like MP3) and some being lossless (I.e. pure digital samples without such compression, e.g. FLAC files or Redbook CD).
Vinyl is analog, not digital. By proper digitalisation with both appropriate horizontal resolution (>40khz, since we can't hear above 20khz, and Shannon tells us to use a sampling frequency at least twice the max) and vertical resolution (16 bits with proper dither like properly produced CDs, or 24 bits), you will restitute perfectly all the audio information contained in the original vinyl. Of course if you use proper equipment along the way, and especially a good Analog/Digital Converter.
Vinyl can definitely sound very good, but digital can do just as good. The vinyl revival is emotional and artistic (nice 12'' art covers) but not rational.

Very interesting!  Thanks for sharing.  There some seem to be this romance to hang on to older technologies.  It’s a bit like photographer and a resurgence in film.  Not saying it’s wrong, just interesting.

www.ianlewisphoto.co.uk

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
So...

Who needs a decent recording?

PM me, don't post here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:41:18 PM by Dutchessy »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2018, 05:00:31 PM »
Who needs a decent recording?

is it improved or the first one ?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 39 queries.