Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set  (Read 17153 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
Re: Pink Floyd The Later Years Box Set
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2019, 07:15:46 PM »
here it is

A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinekaleo74

• Camerado
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 01:52:51 AM »
here it is

Thx for sharing, it's impressive how things can be different, if I may quote Mark when he said that using a different instrument makes you play differently, I love this version too, it sounds like early PF albums, it's almost raw and dry, straightforward.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »
In the single cd edition for "the later years" Danny Cummings is credited for percussion, in the studio versions of "a momentary lapse of reason" songs.

He wasn't credited in the original record!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2019, 04:42:20 PM »
In the single cd edition for "the later years" Danny Cummings is credited for percussion, in the studio versions of "a momentary lapse of reason" songs.

He wasn't credited in the original record!

Do we know if he did some re-re especially for this project?
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2019, 05:09:35 PM »
Danny is credited on One Slip 2019 Remix, since he is not mentioned on the original 1987 album and he has worked on the last Gilmour's record Rattle That Lock few years ago I guess it's more probable he has done some new work on the remix only
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2019, 07:34:33 PM »
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2019, 08:34:23 AM »
This "Later Years" box has mixed feelings for me.

As many of us, because our year of birth, "Momentary" was the first record released by Pink Floyd that we saw released and had the chance to buy on release date, so for many of us, was the first Floyd we heard, it was in my case.

I liked it, and when "The delicate sound of thunder" was released, it was also my first contact with the old Floyd stuff, you know, "wish you were here", "money", "another break in the wall" etc. Then the vhs of that concert came out, the Venice 89 broadcast, Knebworth 90... All those were my first steps into Floyd, the new, and the old.

Then, I started digging in the old stuff, and as soon as I got in my hands records like "Wish you were here", "the wall", "dark side" or "animals", suddenly, "momentary" looked like a stranger... as it wasn't son of the same parents.

With the only exception of "learning to fly", "sorrow", "one slip" and "on the turning away", the rest of songs were like a pale imitation of Pink Floyd, and when I had an original copy in my hand, reading the credits, I discovered why. It was  David Gilmour record, with many studio musicians, and some bits of Mason and Wright (as other drummers and keyboardists were credited as well).

"Division Bell" was quite the same to me, but with a high difference. It still sounded very very different, but at the same time was beautiful. Like the Gilmour incarnation of the band really found their own style. I loved this record, and in fact I still do, but the fact that David Gilmour recents solo records (Island and Rattle that lock) sound quite like Division, to me, "Momentary" and "Division" became clearly solo Gilmour records with Floyd members.

I dug more into the old Floyd stuff, became fan of the Barrett record and the next record when Barrett was leaving (just one song by him) and I had the same feeling that with "momentary" when I got to listen "the final cut", another Floyd record that didn't sound Floyd. You only get to understand that record when you listen to Roger Waters's "The prons and cons of hitch hicking".

This "The Later Years" box has as prons the fact that covers the period of the band that made me a fan, but the cons of being the period of the band that after discover the golden years of the band, became a dissapoinment.

However, I would love to have the "Delicate", "Venice" and "Knebworth" dvds with proper image, sound and integrity!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2019, 12:08:01 PM »
This "Later Years" box has mixed feelings for me.

As many of us, because our year of birth, "Momentary" was the first record released by Pink Floyd that we saw released and had the chance to buy on release date, so for many of us, was the first Floyd we heard, it was in my case.

I liked it, and when "The delicate sound of thunder" was released, it was also my first contact with the old Floyd stuff, you know, "wish you were here", "money", "another break in the wall" etc. Then the vhs of that concert came out, the Venice 89 broadcast, Knebworth 90... All those were my first steps into Floyd, the new, and the old.

Then, I started digging in the old stuff, and as soon as I got in my hands records like "Wish you were here", "the wall", "dark side" or "animals", suddenly, "momentary" looked like a stranger... as it wasn't son of the same parents.

With the only exception of "learning to fly", "sorrow", "one slip" and "on the turning away", the rest of songs were like a pale imitation of Pink Floyd, and when I had an original copy in my hand, reading the credits, I discovered why. It was  David Gilmour record, with many studio musicians, and some bits of Mason and Wright (as other drummers and keyboardists were credited as well).

"Division Bell" was quite the same to me, but with a high difference. It still sounded very very different, but at the same time was beautiful. Like the Gilmour incarnation of the band really found their own style. I loved this record, and in fact I still do, but the fact that David Gilmour recents solo records (Island and Rattle that lock) sound quite like Division, to me, "Momentary" and "Division" became clearly solo Gilmour records with Floyd members.

I dug more into the old Floyd stuff, became fan of the Barrett record and the next record when Barrett was leaving (just one song by him) and I had the same feeling that with "momentary" when I got to listen "the final cut", another Floyd record that didn't sound Floyd. You only get to understand that record when you listen to Roger Waters's "The prons and cons of hitch hicking".

This "The Later Years" box has as prons the fact that covers the period of the band that made me a fan, but the cons of being the period of the band that after discover the golden years of the band, became a dissapoinment.

However, I would love to have the "Delicate", "Venice" and "Knebworth" dvds with proper image, sound and integrity!

same story here, except for the syd barrett fascination.
started collecting all shows that were out there, and came close to having them ALL. except for some of the holy grails guarded by the typical hoarders.
still, Delicate sound was my intro into pf and will always be a favourite. Now on sporify you can hear the difference between the original and the remastered stuff, and it is mindblowing.
am ordering my box today (had hoped to get it as an exceptional xmas present from my girlfriend, but now i am not sure)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 04:37:51 PM »
While Dire Straits sleep

Pink Floyd Live at Knebworth 1990 will be released for the first time on CD, double vinyl and digital platforms
on Friday 30th April 2021.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2021, 10:02:38 AM »
While Dire Straits sleep

Pink Floyd Live at Knebworth 1990 will be released for the first time on CD, double vinyl and digital platforms

Also Genesis and Robert Plant are realeasing their Knebworth perfomances for the Record Store Days. But DS are re-releasing "Encores"

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 06:21:31 PM »
While Dire Straits sleep

Also Genesis and Robert Plant are realeasing their Knebworth perfomances for the Record Store Days. But DS are re-releasing "Encores"
and even though i already have that, as part of the LY box set, i ordered it again.
silly Dire straits!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
When it looked like they were in friendly terms again... This time looks like it's David who has ruined the thing. Roger is complaining about being ignored in the PF site from some time.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 37 queries.