Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Do we really want another tour?  (Read 23187 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Do we really want another tour?
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2019, 10:49:17 AM »
I think there are a lot of songs that are better than the studio versions. For example, matchstick man (more complex arrangement) and my bacon roll (powerful lead guitar) were great live, but also older songs like  Why aye man, sailing to philadelphia and speedway really outshined their studio versions in my opinion.

Sorry but how on earth is Danny a better singer than James Taylor?
On most of the recordings I have heard Danny spoils STP.
It's a beautiful song and the 2019 arrangement is stunning-except for Dan who isn't the man on this song.
I agree that the other songs are better live and would add CBC-although this isn't a particularly good song to begin with.
fully agree. love danny to bits, but pls no more stp...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2019, 06:29:15 PM »
also, if mark should finally get off his arse and go bold, he could invite this fella:

hunter

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
also, if mark should finally get off his arse and go bold, he could invite this fella:

Invite both of them!

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2019, 01:28:24 PM »
Imagine an album and tour with MarkK + DavidG + EricC
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2019, 01:47:16 PM »

I love the three of them but they have too different world.

I don't want a Gilmour solo on a MK song and I can't imagine a concert where Speedway would be followed by Comfortably.
Clapton's style is closer to MK's but there again it's really blues oriented and I don't want the both of them together for an entire MK concert.
When Clapton replaced Gilmour in the 80ies and became Waters' sideman, there was something wrong I think. He is not just a guitar player who is going to copy, change his sound etc.. he is Clapton and it felt like he was playing on the wrong band.

MK writes songs and sings them, he is the entire package. A guest appearance is fine but no more than that.

An acoustic performance I'm not saying

That's just my opinion.

hunter

« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2019, 07:50:52 PM »

I don't want a Gilmour solo on a MK song and I can't imagine a concert where Speedway would be followed by Comfortably.
Clapton's style is closer to MK's but there again it's really blues oriented and I don't want the both of them together for an entire MK concert.
When Clapton replaced Gilmour in the 80ies and became Waters' sideman, there was something wrong I think. He is not just a guitar player who is going to copy, change his sound etc.. he is Clapton and it felt like he was playing on the wrong band.

MK writes songs and sings them, he is the entire package. A guest appearance is fine but no more than that.

That's just my opinion.

If there is no personal chemistry between them, a musical collaboration would probably be unsuccessful. But let's say they got along well, were able to put aside their egos, I think it would make no sense for them to play each others' music. I think it would have to be a "roots" project. I'd love to hear their interpretations of old blues and folk songs.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2019, 08:23:11 PM »

That's just my opinion.

If there is no personal chemistry between them, a musical collaboration would probably be unsuccessful. But let's say they got along well, were able to put aside their egos, I think it would make no sense for them to play each others' music. I think it would have to be a "roots" project. I'd love to hear their interpretations of old blues and folk songs.
Agree.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2019, 09:46:50 PM »

That's just my opinion.

Agree.

No thanks to anything with Gilmour.never understood the appeal of his solo work or much of Floyd(especially post Roger.)
Yes I know I am in the minority here but I don't care:)
I wouldn't want to see anything with Clapton either.The only exception would be if they added Phil Collins and did a zimmer tour:)
Time is fast running out for MK records and I don't want them ruined by anyone other than the brassies!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2019, 09:53:29 PM »

That's just my opinion.

Agree.

No thanks to anything with Gilmour.never understood the appeal of his solo work or much of Floyd(especially post Roger.)
I wouldn't want to see anything with Clapton either.The only exception would be if they added Phil Collins and did a zimmer tour:)
Time is fast running out for MK records and I don't want them ruined by anyone other than the brassies!
Minority, yes.

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2019, 09:59:20 PM »

[/quote]Minority, yes.

But not wrong :lol

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2019, 10:25:18 PM »

Minority, yes.

But not wrong :lol

This is  no more no less than an opinion, doesn't have to be right or wrong.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2019, 11:01:00 PM »

Minority, yes.

But not wrong

This is  no more no less than an opinion, doesn't have to be right or wrong.
But still lol...

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2019, 03:10:16 PM »

That's just my opinion.

Agree.

If Mark wouldn't exist, David Gilmour would be my favourite guitarist of all time.
On an Island is an absolute masterpiece in my view.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

Offlineprivinvest

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »
I think,
a) a great guitar player,
b) if there's some difference (originality) in his style, and
c) if there's musical and
d) personal chemistry between them,
e) if they do some decent rehersals,
f) add some degree of friendly, respectful competitiveness 
can do wonders with Mark.
g) the guy should challenge him a little bit, force him to respond, take him A LITTLE away from his comfort zone
Sonny Landreth for instance.
Eric Clapton in Knebworth, where I think he "won" on away goal rule :)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2019, 12:14:41 PM »
Hey guys, long time no see. I avoided Amit during the tour because, you know, I can’t have it so reading reviews, either positive or negative ones, wouldn’t help it.

I’ll just say one thing. Mark can still play any song he wants, fast or slow. All he has to do is to play less notes, value his vibratos and his touch, and it’s all good. Things turn bad when he tries to play like he used to. I say that as a guitarist who played Mark’s songs for years and never bothered to play much like him simply because I couldn’t, nobody can - and those who try to end up looking like pale doppelgängers.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 12:16:51 PM by Eddie Fox »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 43 queries.