Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: A new dawn (what's next?)  (Read 15219 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
A new dawn (what's next?)
« on: September 30, 2019, 08:51:51 AM »
Finally, the "this is a goodbye" tour, that turned into the "I should retire but I love this too much" and eventually ended in "I'll do this till I drop" is over...

And now... what? What's next?

MK had said during his "This is a good bye" part of the tour that he would continue doing records, so that would mean that after a well deserved period of rest, he would go to his studio and start working on something, maybe early in the year, as sooner, I guess.

They have also the "Local Hero Musical" in London in June for next year and, as the songs are finished and the musical has been represented many times in Edinburgh, I don't think he's needed too much for it, unless the actors and musicians playing are new, in that case they would had to join at least the rehearsals as they did in Edinburgh.

They also have to record the cd for the musical, they said that it would be a cast recording and I guess they would want to have it before it starts, so they can sell it at the theatre. This is a guess, I don't know how this things works. As it's going to be a cast recording, the only thing for sure is that MK is producing it, as he said so, we don't know if MK will be involved playing, or producing or whatever. But if Guy is involved, I doubt MK would be working alone without him.

So, only thing for certain are the musical in June, and the cast recording of it, we don't know when they would start.

My guess, depending when their involvement with the musical recording and rehearsals beguin, they would start shaping songs early 2020 and finish them late 2020 / early 2021, so maybe in 2021 we would have a new MK record and if they decide to do a short tour, some concerts in arenas late 2021.

Your thoughts?

To put it more easy to see, my guess:

- early 2020, start shaping songs
- spring 2020, rehearsals and recording for the musical cast record and the London run
- autumm 2020, start recording the new songs with band sessions etc
- early 2021, finishing the recordings, mastering etc
- late 2021, short tour playing arenas
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: A new dawn (what's next?)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 09:01:45 AM »
Finally, the "this is a goodbye" tour, that turned into the "I should retire but I love this too much" and eventually ended in "I'll do this till I drop" is over...

And now... what? What's next?

MK had said during his "This is a good bye" part of the tour that he would continue doing records, so that would mean that after a well deserved period of rest, he would go to his studio and start working on something, maybe early in the year, as sooner, I guess.

They have also the "Local Hero Musical" in London in June for next year and, as the songs are finished and the musical has been represented many times in Edinburgh, I don't think he's needed too much for it, unless the actors and musicians playing are new, in that case they would had to join at least the rehearsals as they did in Edinburgh.

They also have to record the cd for the musical, they said that it would be a cast recording and I guess they would want to have it before it starts, so they can sell it at the theatre. This is a guess, I don't know how this things works. As it's going to be a cast recording, the only thing for sure is that MK is producing it, as he said so, we don't know if MK will be involved playing, or producing or whatever. But if Guy is involved, I doubt MK would be working alone without him.

So, only thing for certain are the musical in June, and the cast recording of it, we don't know when they would start.

My guess, depending when their involvement with the musical recording and rehearsals beguin, they would start shaping songs early 2020 and finish them late 2020 / early 2021, so maybe in 2021 we would have a new MK record and if they decide to do a short tour, some concerts in arenas late 2021.

Your thoughts?

To put it more easy to see, my guess:

- spring 2020, rehearsals and recording for the musical cast record and the London run
Makes sense

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 09:48:27 AM »
Makes sense

Looks too fast for our slow learner I think, but I'm hoping for some random shows here and there.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 10:03:12 AM »
4 years ago I would have said: yeah, that makes sense. Now I'm not sure. Due to the variety of speeches he has given this tour.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »
I am expecting a Local Hero Musical cast CD, but it would be nice to hear Mark's demo's released too. I hope he starts recording a new album this year too, he always has new and older songs around.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:19:13 AM by qjamesfloyd »
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 11:07:12 AM »
I am expecting a Local Hero Musical cast CD, but it won't be nice to hear Mark's demo's released too. I hope he starts recording a new album this year too, he always has new and older songs around.

Yes it would be... Guy had said in his forum there is going to be a cast cd and that he won't include the demos, but maybe we could convince him to do a special edition with those demos, or some selected ones...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 11:10:06 AM »
4 years ago I would have said: yeah, that makes sense. Now I'm not sure. Due to the variety of speeches he has given this tour.

I would stick to the last ones... probably with the tour advanced, he thought that he would miss a lot to go out with his band of friends and keep touring, but in a lower scale.

That's all we hope!

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 11:53:46 AM »

I would stick to the last ones... probably with the tour advanced, he thought that he would miss a lot to go out with his band of friends and keep touring, but in a lower scale.

That's all we hope!

Why not scale it down to one concert in each country except the UK? That would save them some energy, and maybe more gaps with 1 day off... This tour they had 3 concerts in a row at max I think...

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 11:56:52 AM »

That's all we hope!

Why not scale it down to one concert in each country except the UK? That would save them some energy, and maybe more gaps with 1 day off... This tour they had 3 concerts in a row at max I think...

That is his decision  ;)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 02:41:46 PM »
I'm unsure about the Local Hero musical, both the London run and the album.  The show is said to be larger scale but I doubt Mark will be involved in the production side.  Will he visit as he did in Edinburgh in a consultant role?  I'm inclined to think not.

Again, regarding the album I can't see him having a great deal to do with this.  I think he'll leave most of it up to Guy.  I get the impression this stuff doesn't interest him as much as actually making the music himself.  The musicians from the show will be more familiarised with the music and cast than Mark and so may well play on the album. 

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 04:12:34 PM »
A very good topic jbaent:)
I believe we will hear Local Hero demo. I believe that we will hear the new MK album. I don't believe in a big tour.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 07:14:22 PM »
- summer 2020 few gigs with Steve and Brendan in london

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »
Notting Hilbillies reunion.

Offlinecrimmer

• Camerado
  • BLUESY man Chris
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 08:45:28 PM »
a box set "MARK KNOPFLER Through the Years live" dvd of concerts from with projects shelved ( bbc 2013, 2001, 1996,2005, 2015, 2019 or what ever there is )in past all available in this box set with behind the scenes bits from Hendrik hanson , interviews bonus material etc etc

would love this!!!!
SHANGR LA-2 concerts  KTGC-3 concerts 
ATRR- 1 concert GET LUCKY - 3 concerts
2011- 2 concerts PRIVATEERING- 6 concerts
TRACKER 6 concerts
DTRW Barcelona, leeds, Newcastle, RAH x2 ,Manchester, Birmingham,

Onlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2019, 09:26:31 PM »
Notting Hilbillies reunion.
yep, I imagine (dream) to stay at sheperds bush empire or at ronnie's scotts to ear again songs like
your own sweet way
hobo's lullaby
blues stay away from me
feel like going home
setting me up
next time Im town
water of love
--------
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.