Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New Interview with DK  (Read 3725 times)

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
New Interview with DK
« on: February 11, 2020, 01:09:07 PM »

hunter

Re: New Interview with DK
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 01:22:45 PM »
Very nice interview. I think David and Mark would go along very well these days.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 02:24:22 PM »
David has been telling for years that he would love to play with his brother again, he sounds honest, but I believe he says that also because he knows that's not gonna happen...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 06:22:38 PM »
You’re right, he’s saying it because it won’t happen. And I don’t know what’s the problem here, to be honest...

Some brothers can’t live without each other, some brothers hate each other, these two obviously live knowing about each other’s existence, have a decent amount of respect and even talk occasionally judging by their words. Why they must play together I have no idea. Just because you once were a rhythm guitarist in your brother’s band? I don’t think so.

Tommy Emmanuel recently lost his big brother and all of a sudden got 20 years older. This is an example of brothers struggling to live without each other. But MK and DK certainly are OK with what they have. And both are artistically successful, with MK enjoying 1000 times more fame and success, but that’s life. There’s always someone living better than you. And worse.

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 07:27:20 PM »
One of the best interviews with him, I really enjoyed it. Musically speaking, it would be great if the brothers played together again, not because he once were a rhythm guitarist in your brother's band, but, exactly for what they did together in the past, both in what is recorded in the first two albums, that unique sound, as well as what they did together before Dire Straits, they have the same musical roots, they lived this experience together when they were discovering music, for the music they did in the past and in the present, that is, enough reasons!
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 11:50:34 PM »
Still I think they are both cool on their own terms. David had courage to leave and to continue, Mark had courage to “fire” his Bro and as David says in the interview wanted to continue no matter what (and who).

If you’d give an honest look, throughout DS history there was no such thing as a “second guitar player”. All major rhythm parts were either composed or straight up recorded by you know who... Mark had a rhythm guitar player simply because you can’t play two guitars at once. If he could, DS would be a power trio :lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2020, 12:14:15 AM »
The reason for their awkward (at least known to public) relationships is the same reason because they're successful — because somewhere deep they're still little kids and want to fight no matter what. It's actually very good! I know it because my older brother was always ahead of me in everything and I wanted to beat him up!

Don't tell me that Mark, who has recorded numerous guitar parts for artists whom he sometimes never met and made the guest recordings I never listened to again, the guy who recorded 20 takes while doing a little solo over Thomas Dolby's song, don't want to record something for his bro? Maybe his bro never asked, don't you think? Anyway, it's a rivalry and I love that.

With that said, no way they could play DS music together again, however, since both are "looking forward only" type of guys, they can at least create something new together, and for this there's a chance, but extremely small. And honestly I think because MK is not a fan of his brother's material. Can you come up with any other reason?

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 12:53:52 AM »
The reason for their awkward (at least known to public) relationships is the same reason because they're successful — because somewhere deep they're still little kids and want to fight no matter what. It's actually very good! I know it because my older brother was always ahead of me in everything and I wanted to beat him up!

Don't tell me that Mark, who has recorded numerous guitar parts for artists whom he sometimes never met and made the guest recordings I never listened to again, the guy who recorded 20 takes while doing a little solo over Thomas Dolby's song, don't want to record something for his bro? Maybe his bro never asked, don't you think? Anyway, it's a rivalry and I love that.

With that said, no way they could play DS music together again, however, since both are "looking forward only" type of guys, they can at least create something new together, and for this there's a chance, but extremely small. And honestly I think because MK is not a fan of his brother's material. Can you come up with any other reason?

The reason is that they don't communicate with each other. And, judging by Mark's very cold response in the BBC 2018 interview, they don't even get along.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 07:23:40 AM »
The reason is that they don't communicate with each other. And, judging by Mark's very cold response in the BBC 2018 interview, they don't even get along.

Well, you can’t choose your brother, what I can say. You can choose your friends and a wife, tho ;D

OfflineStephanG

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 07:34:35 AM »
One of the best interviews with him, I really enjoyed it. Musically speaking, it would be great if the brothers played together again, not because he once were a rhythm guitarist in your brother's band, but, exactly for what they did together in the past, both in what is recorded in the first two albums, that unique sound, as well as what they did together before Dire Straits, they have the same musical roots, they lived this experience together when they were discovering music, for the music they did in the past and in the present, that is, enough reasons!

a really nice post..  :clap :clap

hunter

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 09:16:31 AM »
By the way, so funny what David said about ruining Mark's s3x life  ;D  Maybe that's why Mark fired him because he could never forgive David for doing that he-he

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 10:52:30 AM »
There had been always the typical brothers rivalry, David had mentioned many times that MK was the kind of brother who wants to have it everything and achieve everything, and he is the younger brother, and that's exactly what happened with them playing in DS, MK wanted to achieve the higher as possible and David just wanted to have a band and play songs, not only playing but also writing songs and that, with MK and command, wasn't going to happen.

But when David left DS, MK and John both played with David on his first record, even MK did a playback playing as rhythmic guitar for David for Italian tv, the problem arrived some years later, when the SOS compilation was released and MK and DS manager, Ed Bicknell, with the OK of MK, managed to leave out David from the royalties of the songs on that compilation where David played. During the firsts years of DS the four members of the band got royalties for being part of the band, and MK had more for being the writer of the songs, and I don't know why as I don't know about laws and less about copyright, royalties etc, Ed and MK left David out and he didn't saw a penny. David took legal actions about that and probably that's where the hugh problem started between them.

After that, there was a piece of news on newspapers about the MK first guitar being auctioned by David, who had that guitar with him as apparently when MK left the parents house, he left the guitar there and didn't care much. The next we knew was that MK used that guitar on many promo pictures of the KTGC record so, MK got back the guitar from David, probably lawyers were in the mix as well...

David said in an interview that they don't talk to each other, except on weddings or funerals, and they say HI to each other, and that's all.

Actually, when they are asked about what happened on DS years they say the same in different ways, that they wanted to pursue their dreams, but their dreams were different, and by what they say nowadays, it looks like both achieved what they wanted, in different levels of success, but both are happy with what they achieved.

But it looks like David is the only one that openly talks about talk again with his brother, play with him etc even he says that it's sad that there are cousins that they don't know each other.

If that happens, I can see easily both brothers playing folk songs, they have similar roots and his music had gone by very similar paths, but with very different levels of quality and creativity, obviously, but nowadays they have lots of points in common musically but it looks like MK is very determinative to avoid his brother.

I also like when I read this David's interview, when he talks so honestly about fighting his own demons and facing all his problems, and the way he says about being happy with what he has, that there are always people who are in a better position that him, but also many that are in worse situation, so he's happy with what he has. It's the same position about how I face life, being happy with what you have and enjoy your life.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2020, 12:23:10 PM »
And both brothers live on the south coast of England...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 12:29:48 PM »

Well... one of them lives at the south coast of England, the other has a second house there  ;) ;D

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2020, 12:51:53 PM »

and approx 100 miles apart.....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 41 queries.