Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The British Grove Broadcast Transcript  (Read 7228 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: The British Grove Broadcast Transcript
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 02:32:30 PM »
Particularly agree with point 4, and agree that MK is such a perfectionist that anything that has minor issues will have been binned.

Not so sure; it could be a different arrangement and not one with greenies, so being a perfectionist doesn't really come into it.  I doubt Mark would oversee the physical destruction of the tapes anyway.  ;)

So are you saying MK may very well hoard? Can understand digital tracks but it does make you wonder if there is a stockpile of greenies?
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2020, 02:33:32 PM »
Particularly agree with point 4, and agree that MK is such a perfectionist that anything that has minor issues will have been binned.

Not so sure; it could be a different arrangement and not one with greenies, so being a perfectionist doesn't really come into it.  I doubt Mark would oversee the physical destruction of the tapes anyway.  ;)

So are you saying MK may very well hoard? Can understand digital tracks but it does make you wonder if there is a stockpile of greenies?

I think we're more talking about the idea of perfectionism as such, that Mark won't bring a song to the studio with the intention of not finishing it or making several arrangements or takes of it. I mean that there's probably no outtakes at all, just the album songs and probably some B-sides, but not outtakes as we know it. If you record a song, you record a song, no need to record anything else, let alone storing it in the drawer for archeologists to discover years later. That's more or less how I see it...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2020, 03:28:08 PM »
The same thing happens on YouTube, by the way. There are basically two types of YouTubers, and I'm from the first group. The first being people, who delete absolutely everything after the recording and editing and doesn't store anything. What they have they have it on the hosting and thats it. The second group of people keep everything on CDs, racks of hard drives, cloud, servers, catalogued. And I can't have any outtakes because I have no outtakes, I only have intakes, if that makes sense.

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2020, 06:52:56 PM »

Lol, that was the scene I was talking about... I don't know what creature you need to be in order to NOT to be in love with reggae music, it's so cool!

That piece of music is called "heat" by Eric Serra (an appropriate title) and the craziest thing about your mentionning this obscure song is that it was actually part of the holiday playlist I spoke about in my last post.
I didn't think anyone would even know about it!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2020, 07:01:07 PM »

Lol, that was the scene I was talking about... I don't know what creature you need to be in order to NOT to be in love with reggae music, it's so cool!

That piece of music is called "heat" by Eric Serra (an appropriate title) and the craziest thing about your mentionning this obscure song is that it was actually part of the holiday playlist I spoke about in my last post.
I didn't think anyone would even know about it!

Haha, the world is certainly a crazy place! And it’s cool that Mark allows us to experience it over and over again.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2020, 10:50:08 AM »

I think we're more talking about the idea of perfectionism as such, that Mark won't bring a song to the studio with the intention of not finishing it or making several arrangements or takes of it. I mean that there's probably no outtakes at all, just the album songs and probably some B-sides, but not outtakes as we know it. If you record a song, you record a song, no need to record anything else, let alone storing it in the drawer for archeologists to discover years later. That's more or less how I see it...

With outtakes, I was meaning unreleased tracks, and we know Mark has many of those, including the likes of No Wonder He;s Confused, which has been heard in parts, Two Skinny Kids, which we have heard live, same for Pyroman etc, so there is stuff in his "vaults" like Dylan had, which was then released, there is also things like the Dire Straits version of Private Dancer, the studio version of What's The Matter Baby, Making Movies, so there are lots of outtakes that could be released if Mark wanted too.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2020, 10:53:10 AM »
With outtakes, I was meaning unreleased tracks, and we know Mark has many of those, including the likes of No Wonder He;s Confused, which has been heard in parts, Two Skinny Kids, which we have heard live, same for Pyroman etc, so there is stuff in his "vaults" like Dylan had, which was then released, there is also things like the Dire Straits version of Private Dancer, the studio version of What's The Matter Baby, Making Movies, so there are lots of outtakes that could be released if Mark wanted too.

I'm very sorry to say that there are VERY big chances that those unreleased songs are missing forever. I asked the management many times and the answer I got pointed to that.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »

I'm very sorry to say that there are VERY big chances that those unreleased songs are missing forever. I asked the management many times and the answer I got pointed to that.

I remember reading a piece that mentioned, that all the material from Sailing To Philadelphia is also lost forever, and that was just 2000. So not only they can't release outtakes, they can't even do a remaster :lol

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2020, 11:07:47 AM »
There is a chance they said that to put you off the scent at that time, after all, Guy has stated the record company are aware of the fans desire for these releases.

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2020, 11:39:25 AM »

I remember reading a piece that mentioned, that all the material from Sailing To Philadelphia is also lost forever, and that was just 2000. So not only they can't release outtakes, they can't even do a remaster :lol

Yes, that was said by Chuck Ainlay in an interview, I think when Alchemy dvd /bluray was released?

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2020, 11:40:46 AM »
There is a chance they said that to put you off the scent at that time, after all, Guy has stated the record company are aware of the fans desire for these releases.

Guy said that about the live recordings they made during 2001, 2005, 2006 and 2008 that they have, but they did nothing with them.

See Quizzy answer, and my answer to him.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2020, 05:51:28 PM »
 :thumbsup Thank you Pavel:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2020, 02:56:27 PM »
Thanks for the transcription Pavel, a few things I noticed:

1. Mark seems to really like The Beatles, it is something I would have expected from him, but it's not something I have heard from him directly in interviews, I know he has played a couple of John Lennon songs over the years, and mentioned in him in regards the writing of Rudiger, and that he knew George Harrison, and has played with Paul McCartney, don't know if he he met Ringo Starr or not, but I would guess he has.

2. The omission, so far, of a Chet Atkins track!! without re-reading it all again, I think I am correct it stating that? I know there are more episodes to come, but I would have thought Mark would have played some Chet Atkins by now, he has even mentioned him a few times already.

3. His affection for reggae, I never realised he was so into it, there are a couple of his songs you could say have a slight reggae rhythm, but I never associated Mark with that, that goes for the likes of Wyclef Jean too!!

4. No surprise to hear a lots of Bob Dylan, but it is interesting that a couple of the songs are from The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3 (Rare & Unreleased) 1961–1991 as this is an album of outtakes, rarities, alternative versions, etc. This is exactly what we want from Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, so if he likes it from other people, why is he, so far, against it?

5. He seems to have a liking for alternative/indie music, which again is a surprise, I don't get that influence in his songs, but then I suppose an artists can just like other genres of music without wanting to play or write in that style.

6. He has a strong affection for Jazz, which is something that is only really coming out in his songs over the last couple of albums, even though he has dipped in toe into it in the past.

7 The depth of is musical history knowledge is huge, he may have had to check a few things first, but you get the impression he knows his stuff, and it is amazing how much it spans, playing song from the 1920's, 1930's right up to now.

8. He seems to be really into Cajun too, which again is something he has tried a little bit of.

It really is a fascinating thing for Mark to be doing, it is like he is opening his musical box for everyone to hear and appreciate.

I retract point 2 now Mark has played:
Chet Atkins. A Little Bit of Blues

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2020, 09:25:38 PM »
Pavel beautiful statistics. And great job. Thank you very very much :)

I think that after many years we will appreciate these programs more.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 09:28:36 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2020, 09:37:46 PM »
Pavel beautiful statistics. And great job. Thank you very very much :)

I think that after many years we will appreciate these programs more.

Thanks! By the way, if you count the intro speech and also the breaks and outro message, it add up to almost exactly 3 hours. Mark is a perfectionist or what?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 36 queries.