Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: The British Grove Broadcast Transcript  (Read 7124 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
The British Grove Broadcast Transcript
« on: September 15, 2020, 10:42:37 PM »
Two greatest things that happened to me this year, musically speaking, was Mark’s new radio programme and the launch of Spotify in Russia after long years of waiting. Two things collided in sync and so perfectly, that right away I made a whole playlist for The British Grove Broadcast. I had to make my own because all the existing playlists were not up to the quality level that I want. The difference is that my playlist is 100% accurate. Then I made my own jukebox out of my favourite music.

If you said to me when I started listening to Mark’s music, do you want to have this guy talking for hours and recommending you different music that he likes? I’d say − yes, yes, yes! Yes, please. Mark has the astonishing taste in music, and imagine his jukebox colliding with my jukebox, and I’ve collected over a thousand great songs over the years, and this is like a galactic collision really.

One of the hardest things in life for me is finding great music, not just good music, but great music. Usually, it happens by chance, you can hear a great song on the radio, or somebody can recommend it to you. Well, you’re in luck when this “somebody” is Mark Knopfler. Fun fact is that my jukebox is so different compared to Mark’s, we barely have the same tracks in there, and yet I love everything that he’s recommending. So I might as well put everything in my jukebox, but I keep both separated.

So right after the first episode of The British Grove Broadcast I though − I want to read this, this is like a book, or at least a Wikipedia page, and Mark just narrates it. So I desperately wanted to read it instead of hearing it. So after the 21st episode, I finally gave up and just did it.

This is The British Grove Broadcast Transcript − the text version of Mark’s radio show. I put the links to every song on Spotify and on YouTube, because even if you don’t use Spotify, literally everything you can find is on YouTube, and I also added links to my The British Grove Broadcast Spotify Playlist.

I thought that this show is terribly underrated, not only that it’s officially available only in just two countries. Not only that, but so many fans also can’t make out what Mark is saying, not only that not everybody have time and there’s no any fast and easy way to listen to the programme anyway, so the text version really helps. I made it to use for myself first and foremost.

I recommend to have both Premium Spotify and YouTube accounts for the perfect experience, as well as using a dedicated Google Docs app if you’re on mobile. You won't be able to follow almost all the YouTube links, because, well, music is not free. But it works for me because I do use the Premium subscription. Unfortunately, I don't know the way of posting all the music for free, but I believe Spotify offers a free version.

But one more thing… I made all the mentions, song names, album names and such clickable, so it’s more like a Wikipedia page. Say Mark recommends a particular version of a song − and the link gets you straight to this song, or a name, or album. This is the ultimate version of The British Grove Broadcast.

Pavel
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:23:42 AM by quizzaciously »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: The British Grove Broadcast Transcript
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 10:54:42 PM »
Got to admit I have absolutely zero interest in his radio shows and only listened to one out of interest.  Why bother.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:07:21 PM »
Got to admit I have absolutely zero interest in his radio shows and only listened to one out of interest. Why bother.

Well, I guess we just from different planets. For all the people who desperately want to find new music Mark’s show is a blast. And I’m personally is very hungry for new music. Is this show for nerds? Yes. But that’s why I like it.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 11:24:24 PM »
Got to admit I have absolutely zero interest in his radio shows and only listened to one out of interest.  Why bother.

Me too. I think I listened to the first one and kind of liked it but then never got interested in the rest and I don't even read the related topic.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 11:33:50 PM »

Me too. I think I listened to the first one and kind of liked it but then never got interested in the rest and I don't even read the related topic.

I love the show, although, honestly, when I was making this transcript, 80% of the stories were literally new for me because radio format is extremely inconvenient for the show like this. You've got loads of name-drops, album titles, mentions, allusions, whatever. And it's really hard to follow except for maybe relistening the same thing over and over again, and then sitting with a Google finding all the mentions. This is what I was doing anyway, and I got tired of this in a second. And it was meant to be this way, actually. Very old-school...

So I can get why so many people are so cold about this show because I can't really believe that any MK fan in all seriousness would say "No" to Mark talking about music for 3 hours. I mean he's not sitting there moaning about the stock market, or football or something, but he's talking about the field where he reached unbelievable heights, so I think you'd better listen closely to what he's saying. IF, and that's a big IF you're into finding new music, as I said already.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 11:48:58 PM »
"I made it to use for myself first and foremost"

For me too.

For those who love music, this program is of great value.

Pavel you did a great job!!! Thank you very much! :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMelcuer

• Guitar George
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 11:52:41 PM »
You are the man Pavel. Thank you for the extraordinary work

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 11:53:41 PM »
"I made it to use for myself first and foremost"

For me too.

For those who love music, this program is of great value.

Pav you did a great job!!! Thank you very much! :)

You seem to the be the only guy who's interested lol.

Another point in defence of a show (why I do this, anyway?) is that if Mark would just play some songs and be done with it, that would be a terrible show. That would be a guy reading playlist type of thing, completely useless. One can say that having a Playlist is enough, but I'd say that sometimes a good explanation of a song can turn over your expectations. And take a look at what Mark said while playing Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Lookin' Out My Back Door". It's obvious? Yes. It's simple? Yes. But does it makes you feel good? Absolutely!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 11:59:26 PM »
Exactly!

And now I have everything written and tidy :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:07:37 AM by Robson »
Clear as the day

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 12:14:19 AM »
I must confess, I'm a victim of the 21st century. I feel like The British Grove Broadcast is terribly underrated, but who really cares? Nobody. Including Mark himself. Nobody cares. This is why radio format is good − because you have absolutely no control over who cares about something. Radio waves are propagating and will continue doing so no matter what. Who wants, he tunes into it, who don't want, he walks away. And that's the beauty of it.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 01:10:53 AM »
This is true.

Radio is fleeting. But if all the programs are written, the radio is no longer so fleeting :)

My favorite radio presenter in my country, apart from many interviews, has published three books with interviews and this is something absolutely different and beautiful
Clear as the day

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 10:29:43 AM »
Thanks Pavel, you're doing a great job.

Back in July, before leaving on holiday I did download all the tracks that had then been broadcasted by MK to create my holiday playlist. And I even went as far as to search all the artists for their best-received songs and add those in the mix as well. So all the artist from the broadcast had 5 to 10 songs to their names in my USB stick.
It made for a great collection of mainly new songs to listen to and discover on the French roads of the Alps.
Granted, to please the wife and kids, I also had to add disney songs and French songs and the like which created a very original list of music, that we all enjoyed al lot. The random buzz was at is peak for most of the trip.

So I perfectly understand your need to dig into that British Grove Broadcast.
People like us, always looking for new good music, can't let such a gift as this broadcast go past.

I always tend to discover new music by listening to artist related to the music I like, it's like a network of music I can trace back to the first few songs that I loved as a kid. So when MK himself decides to share his own "music network" to people, it's just perfect!

Thanks again!

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 10:44:14 AM »
Great work Pavel...
 :)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 11:35:47 AM »
Thanks Pavel, you're doing a great job.

Back in July, before leaving on holiday I did download all the tracks that had then been broadcasted by MK to create my holiday playlist. And I even went as far as to search all the artists for their best-received songs and add those in the mix as well. So all the artist from the broadcast had 5 to 10 songs to their names in my USB stick.
It made for a great collection of mainly new songs to listen to and discover on the French roads of the Alps.
Granted, to please the wife and kids, I also had to add disney songs and French songs and the like which created a very original list of music, that we all enjoyed al lot. The random buzz was at is peak for most of the trip.

So I perfectly understand your need to dig into that British Grove Broadcast.
People like us, always looking for new good music, can't let such a gift as this broadcast go past.

I always tend to discover new music by listening to artist related to the music I like, it's like a network of music I can trace back to the first few songs that I loved as a kid. So when MK himself decides to share his own "music network" to people, it's just perfect!

Thanks again!

Wow, that’s a great story! It reminds me of when I was around 5, we traveled the South Russia by car, thousands and thousands of kilometers. It was 1996 or something and my mum made a big box of cassettes with music, recorded from the radio to listen to.

I think many of us have a story like this to tell. And you’re right that for people like that the show is a blast. Music is so important... I remember Quentin Tarantino said, that he can make a whole playlist for every character he wrote, music his character would listen to, because music you listen tells so much about your character... More than words, actually.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 11:45:16 AM »
I have really enjoyed listening to The British Grove Broadcast each week, because it has introduced me to lots of music that I would otherwise most probably have missed.   I must admit that not everything appeals to me, but there is certainly a great deal that I like a lot and have explored further, as in the case of The Galway Girl with Sharon Shannon and Steve Earle which led to me finding Sharon Shannon playing with Mundy, which is great fun!

It is also a pleasure to hear Mark's speaking voice and to hear all the stories surrounding his choice of music too.

Thank you, Pavel, for the transcript, even though I don't really need it being an English person, but it is lovely to have the option of reading it anyway, especially when some words are unclear!   :)

I look forward to the next episode - if there is one!    :think

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 11:56:05 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 36 queries.