Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021  (Read 22353 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2021, 10:52:42 AM »
I think we are more driven by sympathy about certain members, but those guys are professional Musicians at work. The 96ers had their very unique and original manifestation only in 1996, from them on it was just the core of Guy, Richard and Glen. Jim Cox had to pause because of health problems, so it's just a coming and going anyway. Danny came in for Chad and stayed, Mike came in mid tour 2010 and was obviously not thought of as future band member. I think the personal level is more important to Mark than the musical one. They all are great at what they do. The background, the stories, the history, that might be pinnacle for Mark. I loved the fact that Mike found so much about his father in Mighty Man. It seemed Mark developed the song with that in mind almost as a gift to Mike and I am sure that was the reason the song made it onto the set list. What I try to say is that the personal chemistry in a band is obviously a very important thing not to be underestimated. All those long tours during the last 20 years must have formed a very special bonding between these guys. The fact that Danny was part of the last album is an example for that I guess.

LE

Good points here LE.....Indeed, like Superval has said we mustn't forget Mr Mccusker!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2021, 10:58:12 AM »
I like Matt Rollings very much too. Same as Danny, I thought that his style fits very much to Mark's music but...

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2021, 11:50:24 AM »
 "I loved the fact that Mike found so much about his father in Mighty Man...

I didn't know about it. I love Mighty Man. LE Can you write something more?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2021, 07:14:04 PM »
I like Matt Rollings very much too. Same as Danny, I thought that his style fits very much to Mark's music but...

Good call, I enjoyed Matt's contribution to MK's music.....loved his playing with the accordian on the Misty Mountains...

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2021, 08:13:56 PM »
I really liked Matt's piano playing, it was very sensitive, but I understand why Jim returned to the band.  I met him at City Hall in Newcastle in 2008, just before the show.  He signed my copy of KTGC and introduced us to his wife, Paloma.   I told him that I enjoyed his work with Mary Chapin Carpenter, especially her album "Come On, Come On"  and he seemed happy about that.    A very nice person. :)

Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2021, 09:17:15 PM »
I really liked Matt's piano playing, it was very sensitive, but I understand why Jim returned to the band.  I met him at City Hall in Newcastle in 2008, just before the show.  He signed my copy of KTGC and introduced us to his wife, Paloma.   I told him that I enjoyed his work with Mary Chapin Carpenter, especially her album "Come On, Come On"  and he seemed happy about that.    A very nice person. :)

Fabulous tale, thanks Superval....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2021, 09:19:18 PM »
Bizarre coincidence, sitting listening to Come On Come On when I clicked on this!

And I also met Matt in Newcastle in 2008…
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2021, 09:30:05 PM »
Bizarre coincidence, sitting listening to Come On Come On when I clicked on this!

Matt is an insane jazz pianist. I never understood Mark's total love towards Jim, I get he's great in the studio, but he has just one solo record that you can't find anywhere, and his presence in the internet is so minuscule. In that regard, he's almost like Mark himself :lol Matt, on the other hand, is relatively young and extremely talented, and has some actual records to listen to. Either way, I'm in the minority that likes Mark's "backup band" the best, I think he really overplayed his current band, and some refreshment would be nice. But again, granted that he'll tour again. And he certainly won't change the band till he falls over!

OnlineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2021, 09:35:47 PM »

I also enjoyed Matt Rollings playing a lot.  He had a very special touch, very sensitive, almost magical.
Let's not forget the great Chad Cromwell who had been my favourite drummer in Marks band. I'm still wondering why he left the band after all these years? I am sure you've already discussed this issue here. Can anybody provide a link, please?

This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Love Expresso

« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2021, 09:55:56 PM »
There were personal family related problems which made it impossible for him to stay with the band during the 2005 tour. He left mid tour and was replaced by Danny Cummings. People ask for it every two years or so but we never got knowledge about what kind of problems he had. Pretty soon after that he became part of Neil Youngs touring band, obviously a chance he could not resist. Maybe travelling outside the US was a problem for him so that Neil Young was the right choice. (That's my guess only).
As usual with Mark, there was never a new try or approach between Chad and MK as Danny stayed until 2010. There was an interview with Chad not too long ago in which he spoke shortly about it.

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2021, 08:06:44 AM »

Ooh, spooky!     :o
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2021, 08:19:28 AM »
There were personal family related problems which made it impossible for him to stay with the band during the 2005 tour. He left mid tour and was replaced by Danny Cummings. People ask for it every two years or so but we never got knowledge about what kind of problems he had. Pretty soon after that he became part of Neil Youngs touring band, obviously a chance he could not resist. Maybe travelling outside the US was a problem for him so that Neil Young was the right choice. (That's my guess only).
As usual with Mark, there was never a new try or approach between Chad and MK as Danny stayed until 2010. There was an interview with Chad not too long ago in which he spoke shortly about it.

LE
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/chad-cromwell-drummer-interview-neil-young-mark-knopfler-joe-walsh-1112767/

He talks about it here. He still doesn’t reveal the personal reasons but it seems there’s no bad blood.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2021, 10:38:05 AM »

LE
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/chad-cromwell-drummer-interview-neil-young-mark-knopfler-joe-walsh-1112767/

He talks about it here. He still doesn’t reveal the personal reasons but it seems there’s no bad blood.

Seems like he really doesn't want people to know the true reason he left, and I'm happy with that. I read it like "my reasoning was pretty stupid/insane, but Mark handled it". I mean if it was your typical family stuff he'd probably tell by now, right? The most amusing part anyway always was how Danny Cummings was able to blend in with the band in such a short time!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2021, 10:44:47 AM »

LE

Seems like he really doesn't want people to know the true reason he left, and I'm happy with that. I read it like "my reasoning was pretty stupid/insane, but Mark handled it". I mean if it was your typical family stuff he'd probably tell by now, right? The most amusing part anyway always was how Danny Cummings was able to blend in with the band in such a short time!

Danny did a great job imo!    :thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

OnlineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2021, 10:49:55 AM »

LE

Thanks, LE. Always like to read your posts!  :wave
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 39 queries.