Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021  (Read 22350 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: Daily Mail 'DS Legacy' - 3rd August 2021
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2021, 02:27:54 PM »
https://dslegacy.com/shows/

Seems they're playing cruise ships now.  lol

'Twistin by the pool' perhaps!!!

:smack

I've a picture in my head of the band on the Titanic that kept playing on as the ship sank.  Maybe there's a metaphor in there somewhere.

:'(

Wipe away those tears!  I was thinking DSL is a sinking ship when they are now playing such small venues - that's the metaphor.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2021, 02:31:24 PM »
I've just seen that Jack Sonni has played with them as well. We have to admit one thing: there's quite a bunch of ex-DS member that have joined this band at some point, and not to mention John Illsley too...

100% agree, the personnel have been there but they are nothing without 'The Master' steering the helm....
Nothing is a bit harsh because they can play well. DS just doesn't exist without the songs, the voice and the guitar of MK, period. We've said it before but the whole issue is that they pretended being the real deal (and some of those guys still do apparently). From that perspective, I can understand that MK is kinda upset about it. He may have talked about it with John or Danny behind the scene because these three are friends.

Again they are nothing without MK which is what you are saying too...
Well they are guys who can play DS songs quite well, like other tribute bands can too. They are not DS, which doesn't mean that they are musically nothing, at least to me. Whether we like that band or not, most of them if not all are professional accomplished musicians after all. Once again, it's the ego of some of them in the group and how they promote themselves which is the real issue.

And personally I am not interested in DS tribute bands. Not because they are not good, but because Mark's guitar playing is so unique, and so is his voice to some extent, that it is simply impossible to replicate it well.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 02:34:31 PM by NicoMK »

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2021, 08:06:59 PM »
I've just seen that Jack Sonni has played with them as well. We have to admit one thing: there's quite a bunch of ex-DS member that have joined this band at some point, and not to mention John Illsley too...

100% agree, the personnel have been there but they are nothing without 'The Master' steering the helm....
Nothing is a bit harsh because they can play well. DS just doesn't exist without the songs, the voice and the guitar of MK, period. We've said it before but the whole issue is that they pretended being the real deal (and some of those guys still do apparently). From that perspective, I can understand that MK is kinda upset about it. He may have talked about it with John or Danny behind the scene because these three are friends.

Again they are nothing without MK which is what you are saying too...
Well they are guys who can play DS songs quite well, like other tribute bands can too. They are not DS, which doesn't mean that they are musically nothing, at least to me. Whether we like that band or not, most of them if not all are professional accomplished musicians after all. Once again, it's the ego of some of them in the group and how they promote themselves which is the real issue.

And personally I am not interested in DS tribute bands. Not because they are not good, but because Mark's guitar playing is so unique, and so is his voice to some extent, that it is simply impossible to replicate it well.

I didn't say they are 'nothing' but when they are playing DS songs they are most definitely nothing without MK...
They are of course good musicians in their own right....
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2021, 08:12:42 PM »
https://dslegacy.com/shows/

Seems they're playing cruise ships now.  lol

'Twistin by the pool' perhaps!!!

:smack

I've a picture in my head of the band on the Titanic that kept playing on as the ship sank.  Maybe there's a metaphor in there somewhere.

:'(

Wipe away those tears!  I was thinking DSL is a sinking ship when they are now playing such small venues - that's the metaphor.

Like the metaphor even more... :clap :clap :lol

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2021, 01:21:21 PM »
I remember a italian poster where the promoter advertised a gig by a cover band as "Dire Straits"
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2021, 01:48:58 PM »
I remember a italian poster where the promoter advertised a gig by a cover band as "Dire Straits"

I saw one in Italy too, at a bus stop in Poggibonsi, en route to Siena.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #171 on: August 29, 2021, 02:10:38 PM »

I saw one in Italy too, at a bus stop in Poggibonsi, en route to Siena.

No way, that's just wrong.... :disbelief

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #172 on: August 29, 2021, 05:31:49 PM »
I promise you all they were not joking when they said they were the real deal when in Brazil. They were announced by the TV host as Dire Straits and as the interview went on they never made it clear they weren’t. Tickets were advertised as to a Dire Straits gig, no matter if the word legacy was included, people were being fooled all along. That band is disgusting, what they do is disgusting.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #173 on: August 29, 2021, 06:43:25 PM »
I promise you all they were not joking when they said they were the real deal when in Brazil. They were announced by the TV host as Dire Straits and as the interview went on they never made it clear they weren’t. Tickets were advertised as to a Dire Straits gig, no matter if the word legacy was included, people were being fooled all along. That band is disgusting, what they do is disgusting.

100% wrong and am pleased MK quite rightly got cheesed off with the concept....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2021, 09:05:48 AM »

Also Pick Withers.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #175 on: August 30, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »

Also Pick Withers.
In fact (almost) everyone except MK himself  ;D

Edit : this is a note that I've found on the Marco Caviglia website, out of curiosity. He has even played with Richard Bennett and Steve Phillips, so the guy has played with almost everyone in touch with MK lol. Impressive, whether you like his band or not. Once again, I admit that promoting themselves as the real DS band is a mistake but apart from that, I wish I had met half of these guys too.

I’ve been a lucky guy to be on stage in these all twenty years with very good friends (first) and amazing musicians as well…. After this long trip… I have been very lucky again to have more than a chance to be on stage with my heroes… and for me…it’s absolutely impossible to forget the Pensa Guitars & Friends concerts, the amazing concerts with John Illsley, Alan Clark, Phil Palmer, Jack Sonni, Mel Collins, Pick Withers, Danny Cummings, Chris White all from the Legendary dIRE sTRAITS…it’s impossible to forget the live tours with “The Maestro” Steve Phillips, the guitar legend from The Notting Hillbillies….it’s impossible to forget the wonderfull jazzy session with my friend Richard Bennett, the guitar legend from Nashville and guitar player in the running and amazing Mark Knopfler’s band…it’s impossible to forget the wonderful live jam sesssions with Paolo Bonfanti, it’s impossible to forget the amazing live sessions with the english blues player and folk singer William Topley…. so… finally… here we are with the dIRE sTRAITS LEGACY (former LEGENDS) tours in 2013 and 2014 with thousands of fans from all over the world attending our shows to celebrate the legacy of the Legendary dIRE sTRAITS!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 10:05:10 AM by NicoMK »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #176 on: August 30, 2021, 11:39:55 AM »

Also Pick Withers.

Edit : this is a note that I've found on the Marco Caviglia website, out of curiosity. He has even played with Richard Bennett and Steve Phillips, so the guy has played with almost everyone in touch with MK lol. Impressive, whether you like his band or not. Once again, I admit that promoting themselves as the real DS band is a mistake but apart from that, I wish I had met half of these guys too.

I’ve been a lucky guy to be on stage in these all twenty years with very good friends (first) and amazing musicians as well…. After this long trip… I have been very lucky again to have more than a chance to be on stage with my heroes… and for me…it’s absolutely impossible to forget the Pensa Guitars & Friends concerts, the amazing concerts with John Illsley, Alan Clark, Phil Palmer, Jack Sonni, Mel Collins, Pick Withers, Danny Cummings, Chris White all from the Legendary dIRE sTRAITS…it’s impossible to forget the live tours with “The Maestro” Steve Phillips, the guitar legend from The Notting Hillbillies….it’s impossible to forget the wonderfull jazzy session with my friend Richard Bennett, the guitar legend from Nashville and guitar player in the running and amazing Mark Knopfler’s band…it’s impossible to forget the wonderful live jam sesssions with Paolo Bonfanti, it’s impossible to forget the amazing live sessions with the english blues player and folk singer William Topley…. so… finally… here we are with the dIRE sTRAITS LEGACY (former LEGENDS) tours in 2013 and 2014 with thousands of fans from all over the world attending our shows to celebrate the legacy of the Legendary dIRE sTRAITS!

I think if you set a certain goal in your life you can achieve it. If you want it really hard, I think you can even "force" a meeting with MK himself, it's the question of how desperately you want it. So I don't see this as a big deal, most importantly what all these guys do and say, rather than with whom they played. I never met anybody from that list ever, but my goals in life are just different and I don't want to meet everybody I like.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2021, 09:15:33 PM »
Is he not a wealthy guy who basically paid to set up these things?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2021, 09:28:47 PM »

Also Pick Withers.

Quite an impressive list!

Personally I have never really cared for tribute bands and as good as they may be I will always stick with the original.
Mark Knopfler is a class of his own, a unique person and his style is inimitable. Why bother with a tribute band. Nobody will ever fill his shoes!
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #179 on: August 30, 2021, 09:32:05 PM »
Is he not a wealthy guy who basically paid to set up these things?

Oh, wow... Anything could happen, I know that money certainly could give you that opportunity, but where did he get the money if he's in the Tribute business from 1988 according to his autobiography? And I just realized they have Trevor Horn in the band! Isn't he's a music legend? What he forgot in the tribute band, for Mark's sake? It's like Mark would go on tour with a Bob Dylan cover band or something.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.175 seconds with 37 queries.