Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Album Elimination Poll! - Round 1  (Read 11252 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Album Elimination Poll! - Round 1
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2021, 07:33:38 AM »
OES pulling away but still a long way to go...

And Communique is all of a sudden not far behind?!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2021, 09:04:41 AM »
I voted Communiqué.  Difficult choice but in the end I feel it's too much of a follow-up to the debut but without the raw sound of the band that was perfectly captured on that record.  It just sounds too smooth and polished.  There's also a few tracks that I'm not keen on like Angel, Follow and the title track.  Lady Writer is just too obvious a follow-up to Sultans as well.

Ooooh fair enough dmg....Communique as an album is in fact one of my faves....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRivers Of Rain

• Guitar George
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2021, 08:41:48 PM »
My vote goes to On Every Street, of all the DS albums this is by some way the one I play the least - it is the one I am most unlikely to listen to as a full album, and the one with the fewest tracks I'd go out of my to play individually. While the album has some great moments (I love the title track, especially the outro riff), as a whole I find it their most uneven work. Also, there are tracks that feel like inferior versions of the hits from Brothers In Arms, which lack the qualities that made the original songs so widely appealing, the two most obvious examples being The Bug (revisiting Walk Of Life) and Heavy Fuel (revisiting Money For Nothing). In the former case, although Walk Of Life is not one of my favourite DS tracks, I remember hearing it on the radio at work one time and noticing that other people started humming along to it. It has a 'catchy radio pop song' quality which reaches people who otherwise might not be into DS, which I don't think The Bug succeeds at. Likewise, nothing in Heavy Fuel can match the immediately attention-grabbing Money For Nothing riff which appeals to less blues-oriented guitar fans.

I agree that OES doesn't quite fit with the other DS albums, but is also quite different from MK's solo albums with the possible exception of Sailing To Philadelphia. I also sometimes wonder if a track like How Long (which I do like) might have fitted better on Golden Heart, I like the song but it feels really odd as the final DS track. The title track from Brothers In Arms feels like a more natural conclusion to their studio discography.
I got shot off my horse, so what I'm up again...

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2021, 09:25:57 PM »
I vote for a successor over predecessor every time.
Now you all know my vote outcome.
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2021, 09:48:22 PM »
Clever. One wins :) I admire everyone. I can not.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflinePeter1981

• Local Hero
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2021, 11:19:01 PM »
Couldn't agree more!

Funny, i think communique is the best DS album.

You are not alone. I feel the same. Communique is my favourite DS album!
It has it all, the classic laid-back DS sound, excellent songs, great playing and singing, good production, all over an amazing album. Not to forget the fantastic cover work. 
For me Communique is a worthy follower to their debut album. Why this record is so underrated is a mystery to me.   :think

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2021, 11:32:25 PM »
Couldn't agree more!

Funny, i think communique is the best DS album.

You are not alone. I feel the same. Communique is my favourite DS album!
It has it all, the classic laid-back DS sound, excellent songs, great playing and singing, good production, all over an amazing album. Not to forget the fantastic cover work. 
For me Communique is a worthy follower to their debut album. Why this record is so underrated is a mystery to me.   :think

:thumbsup

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2021, 08:50:57 AM »
Communique is my favourite DS album too.   
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2021, 08:52:32 AM »
Communique is my favourite album too.

Ah, I did wonder what your fave was Superval....Seems a lot of us are on the same wavelength!!! Communique isjust awesome - a 'something for everyone' album..
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 08:55:33 AM by Knopflerfan »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2021, 08:55:28 AM »
Communique has been underrated for too long, but I think its qualities are being realised much more these days. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2021, 08:56:21 AM »
Communique has been underrated for too long, but I think its qualities are being realised much more these days.

Yes I agree. If I want to listen to a DS album its 99% of the time I choose Communique...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2021, 11:30:58 AM »
My vote goes to On Every Street, of all the DS albums this is by some way the one I play the least - it is the one I am most unlikely to listen to as a full album, and the one with the fewest tracks I'd go out of my to play individually. While the album has some great moments (I love the title track, especially the outro riff), as a whole I find it their most uneven work. Also, there are tracks that feel like inferior versions of the hits from Brothers In Arms, which lack the qualities that made the original songs so widely appealing, the two most obvious examples being The Bug (revisiting Walk Of Life) and Heavy Fuel (revisiting Money For Nothing). In the former case, although Walk Of Life is not one of my favourite DS tracks, I remember hearing it on the radio at work one time and noticing that other people started humming along to it. It has a 'catchy radio pop song' quality which reaches people who otherwise might not be into DS, which I don't think The Bug succeeds at. Likewise, nothing in Heavy Fuel can match the immediately attention-grabbing Money For Nothing riff which appeals to less blues-oriented guitar fans.

I agree that OES doesn't quite fit with the other DS albums, but is also quite different from MK's solo albums with the possible exception of Sailing To Philadelphia. I also sometimes wonder if a track like How Long (which I do like) might have fitted better on Golden Heart, I like the song but it feels really odd as the final DS track. The title track from Brothers In Arms feels like a more natural conclusion to their studio discography.

+1000  :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2021, 11:35:03 AM »

The funniest thing to me is that you can barely hear this National guitar on the record.

to me the funniest thing is that a typical eighties record has on its sleeve a very old guitar, iconic instrument from the deep south blues in the 30's !

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2021, 12:08:19 PM »

The funniest thing to me is that you can barely hear this National guitar on the record.

to me the funniest thing is that a typical eighties record has on its sleeve a very old guitar, iconic instrument from the deep south blues in the 30's !

And one of the most famous lines from one of the most iconic 80s albums also references a National guitar...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2021, 01:07:45 PM »
Nooo...I love OES and listen to it maybe more than any other, but it's all about opinions!  lol

An interesting thing is that I recall reading once that as a species we tend to want to dislike the popular things.  One reason being that it makes us feel as though we belong to a select group.  I forget the other reasons.  It maybe shows why BIA and OES are leading the way. Who knows.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 37 queries.