Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Boothbay concert 15 years ago  (Read 9128 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Boothbay concert 15 years ago
« on: September 21, 2021, 12:56:40 AM »
15 years ago this 20th september : the Boothbay concert
a very special gig in Mark's career

my chronicle (in french) :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/il-y-a-15-ans-mark-knopfler-jouait-a-boothbay-harbor/

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Boothbay concert 15 years ago
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 01:05:58 AM »
One of the best shows in recent history. Intimate, spontaneous, funny, lots of songs, no piss breaks, no drummer and still breathtaking.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 07:17:19 AM »
Absolutely loved this unique performance and with a fabulous choice of songs too. MK in good spirits along with masterful playing too.....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 07:22:17 AM »

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 08:27:51 AM »
One of the best shows in recent history. Intimate, spontaneous, funny, lots of songs, no piss breaks, no drummer and still breathtaking.

But Romeo was played, so that means a loo break in my eyes!!!!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 10:15:14 AM »
What I love about this show is how it really shows the importance of a drummer. It's so easy to play with a good drummer and it ads so much to the song, so can understand Mark's drummer jokes he told. This show has a feeling that it's almost like a cover band doing MK songs, and this contrast between the reality and perception really strikes me.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 11:20:16 AM »
What I love about this show is how it really shows the importance of a drummer. It's so easy to play with a good drummer and it ads so much to the song, so can understand Mark's drummer jokes he told. This show has a feeling that it's almost like a cover band doing MK songs, and this contrast between the reality and perception really strikes me.

I quite enjoy MK without a drummer to be honest....
I think of the shows I've been to where there have been minimal musicians: Hay-on-Wye, Bridport & Chalke Valley and they have been epic. They each have been a chance to study MK's playing at close distance.....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 02:54:16 PM »
Quite a bizarre show for him in all honesty.  Personally I've never been a fan of these minimalistic shows he does but they are interesting.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 07:43:40 PM »
Absolutely loved this unique performance and with a fabulous choice of songs too. MK in good spirits along with masterful playing too.....

Yes, it's a wonderful concert and I am glad it was reorded by some nice person who shared it with us.
The songs Mark picked fit this format very well. The whole atmosphere between the band and the audience was so nice and friendly and I'm sure that nobody missed a drummer that evening.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 07:48:58 PM »
Thank you Knopflerfan for the video link, it was just what I needed today  :)  Trawlermans song is simply beautiful

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 08:03:07 PM »
Thank you Knopflerfan for the video link, it was just what I needed today  :)  Trawlermans song is simply beautiful

More than welcome....Its rather good isn't it?!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 08:05:04 PM »
Quite a bizarre show for him in all honesty.  Personally I've never been a fan of these minimalistic shows he does but they are interesting.

Oh dmg, the minimal the better for me! They are awesome to be at....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 08:14:23 PM »
It was great to see the Boothbay video again.  Marbletown was especially good, but I really enjoyed the whole performance. I had almost forgotten about it after such a long time!  :)

I remember that Mark had to wear a borrowed shirt for the show, because his luggage hadn't arrived in time and the shirt was a bit too small!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 08:23:05 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 08:24:28 PM »
It was great to see the Boothbay video again.  Marbletown was especially good, but I really enjoyed the whole performance. I had almost forgotten about it after such a long time!  :)

I remember that Mark had to wear a borrowed shirt for the show, because his luggage hadn't arrived in time and the shirt was a bit too small!   ;D

Ah yes, the borrowed shirt, I remember that now!!

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 10:23:05 AM »

I agree that it was a great show with really great songs. I seriously missed a drummer (provided you have the right drummer…) but it's my opinion, of course. Anyway it was fantastic to hear songs that had never been played before and that will probably never be played again. It proves that Mark can do it if he really wants to… instead of playing the same songs over and over again (even if they are classics).

The IEM recording of this show is truly enjoyable by the way. If the person who recorded and shared it at the time reads these lines, may he / she be thanked here.

Thank you JF for the chronicle  :thumbsup

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 39 queries.