Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite Tour Versions?  (Read 8958 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Favourite Tour Versions?
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2021, 05:24:35 PM »
Because my favourite tour is Get Lucky, most of my favourites are from either Manchester or Brighton, especially Coyote (Brighton),  HFB (Brighton), Speedway (Manchester), TR (Manchester) and Piper (Manchester).  In fact, I could just say everything!   ;D

I especially liked WAM (Leeds 2019), STP - fabulous (Leeds 2019) and Matchstick Man, MFN. 

TR Carcassonne (2013)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 05:37:39 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2021, 05:48:39 PM »
"Yes, I suppose less variety in MK solo songs on tour, but a lot of variety on the albums"

And less and less DS.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2021, 06:12:24 PM »
"Yes, I suppose less variety in MK solo songs on tour, but a lot of variety on the albums"

And less and less DS.

Yes, but at least we had OUATITW and MFN to make up for the loss of SOS and TR in 2019!   ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2021, 06:32:02 PM »
Oh yes. It was amazing for me to hear Once Upon ... and MFN.
Clear as the day

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2021, 07:52:45 PM »
I first.

May 8, 2013
5.15 AM Lódz - Atlas Arena

Back to Tupelo - Newcastle 2013

The version from Edinburgh is lovely too.

Back to Tupelo - Edinburgh 2005

I was very pleased when he played it in Edinburgh. I think I met you there Val?!

To answer your question, I guess there hasn't been as much variation in the MK solo years?

Dusty - I first met you in the queue for Hay-on-Sky, then in Edinburgh 2008.   :)

Yes, I suppose less variety in MK solo songs on tour, but a lot of variety on the albums.
I feel like we met in Edinburgh as well on year…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2021, 08:05:29 PM »
Hill Farmer's Blues, I think the best version I've ever heard was from 1st night in Amsterdam in 2010.
However I enjoy listening to versions from the 2008 tour. In 2010 he played well, but just gave up singing "so bad.." after two repetitions, which is something that in 2008 really added to the emotion of the song.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2021, 09:11:10 PM »
Not seen any MK solo ones?  Because DS songs are the classics and this is the proof!  ;)

Here's some:

Prairie Wedding - a bit random but I really like this song.  Best in 2001, great version from Vancouver.
Piper - probably 2013.  I liked that he came back after pointing to the band and played some more, something he didn’t do for the majority of the 2010 GL tour.  Helsinki has a particularly nice version.
HFB - GL tour.  The ones with Bob were good too but Birmingham 2010 is simply outstanding.
KOG - Privateering tour.  Solo seemed a little longer this time.  Caen was better than most from memory.
Speedway - lots to choose from.  The best I heard live myself was RAH 27.05.13 and after listening to it many times since it remains one of the very best.
WII - probably not the best live song but I did enjoy the versions from the 2002 charity shows.
WAM - 2005 and 2008.  Not really any difference in arrangement.  Berkeley 2008 is nice.

*Long Highway - Portland 2001 (for Pottel on his day).
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2021, 09:25:07 PM »
Not seen any MK solo ones?  Because DS songs are the classics and this is the proof!  ;)

Here's some:

Prairie Wedding - a bit random but I really like this song.  Best in 2001, great version from Vancouver.
Piper - probably 2013.  I liked that he came back after pointing to the band and played some more, something he didn’t do for the majority of the 2010 GL tour.  Helsinki has a particularly nice version.
HFB - GL tour.  The ones with Bob were good too but Birmingham 2010 is simply outstanding.
KOG - Privateering tour.  Solo seemed a little longer this time.  Caen was better than most from memory.
Speedway - lots to choose from.  The best I heard live myself was RAH 27.05.13 and after listening to it many times since it remains one of the very best.
WII - probably not the best live song but I did enjoy the versions from the 2002 charity shows.
WAM - 2005 and 2008.  Not really any difference in arrangement.  Berkeley 2008 is nice.

For Prairie Wedding I like Paris 2010.
For Piper I prefer 2010 to 2013, more energy
For KOG I liked it better in 2015 than 2013, more mature
For Speedway I prefer 2010 since I feel it is *the* song where Danny was better than Ianto
For WAM 2019 is also worth mentioning for the superb brass intro !

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2021, 09:35:25 PM »
I really like Speedway At Nazareth in Massey Hall, Toronto, Canada, 3rd May 2001

And the applause of the audience: >>> Those walls from mid-Ohio to Toronto they hurt <<<

b side of the single Why Aye Man

and many others...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 09:43:55 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2021, 09:37:32 PM »
Re the calypso SFA.

Everyone loves it, but is it really the best version?

Do we not just like it because it’s a novelty?

If the BiA album had opened with it we would have all said what the hell is this?!

It's got to be purely for the novelty of MKs phrasing on the classical guitar that is the winner here for SFA - in fact I'm not a keen SFA fan but I like that version of it....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2021, 10:08:48 PM »
Re the calypso SFA.

Everyone loves it, but is it really the best version?

Do we not just like it because it’s a novelty?

If the BiA album had opened with it we would have all said what the hell is this?!

It's got to be purely for the novelty of MKs phrasing on the classical guitar that is the winner here for SFA - in fact I'm not a keen SFA fan but I like that version of it....

How about the calypso version from the Swan Hunter gig by the NHB?  That's pretty cool I think and better suited to the Hillbillies.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2021, 12:38:29 AM »

Here's some:

For Speedway I prefer 2010 since I feel it is *the* song where Danny was better than Ianto
Agreed, despite the much maligned brass section they came to the fore on WAM.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2021, 07:44:30 AM »
BIA from Toronto, Massey Hall 2001 and also RAH 23rd May 1996 were both excellent.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2021, 09:06:37 AM »

Here's some:

Agreed, despite the much maligned brass section they came to the fore on WAM.

It was a perfect time to play Metroland, they would have fitted that song.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2021, 09:28:21 AM »
I first.

May 8, 2013
5.15 AM Lódz - Atlas Arena

Back to Tupelo - Newcastle 2013

The version from Edinburgh is lovely too.

Back to Tupelo - Edinburgh 2005

I was very pleased when he played it in Edinburgh. I think I met you there Val?!

To answer your question, I guess there hasn't been as much variation in the MK solo years?

Dusty - I first met you in the queue for Hay-on-Sky, then in Edinburgh 2008.   :)

Yes, I suppose less variety in MK solo songs on tour, but a lot of variety on the albums.
I feel like we met in Edinburgh as well on year…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We also met in 2013 at the RAH.  I have nice picture of you, pint in hand at The Stanhope Arms! :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 10:35:48 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 36 queries.