Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Favourite Tour Versions?  (Read 8997 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Favourite Tour Versions?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2021, 09:52:40 AM »
SFA from Liverpool 2013 was great with an extended part from 4.30.

Saint-Julien 2013 is also greatly extended.

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2021, 10:20:15 AM »
Sultans was the best for me in 1996. I loved the really long version and Jim's part in it. Sultans from 2001 on was just something to forget, getting worse and more and more cringeful from tour to tour.

LE

I agree that the 1996 version was very fresh. The one from Stockholm is really well played and extra-long, 14 minutes as far as I can recall.

Having said that, if you consider the "shortened Sultans post 1996", the 2010 Paris version is exceptionally well played, guitars and drums are both very smooth and "connected". My favorite "shortened" version.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2021, 10:22:15 AM »
Sultans was the best for me in 1996. I loved the really long version and Jim's part in it. Sultans from 2001 on was just something to forget, getting worse and more and more cringeful from tour to tour.

LE

I agree that the 1996 version was very fresh. The one from Stockholm is really well played and extra-long, 14 minutes as far as I can recall.

Having said that, if you consider the "shortened Sultans post 1996", the 2010 Paris version is exceptionally well played, guitars and drums are both very smooth and "connected". My favorite "shortened" version.
Well...
I was in Paris in 2010, wonderful concert, one of the best I ever attended. But... I don't think Sultans was that great. The solo was quite cumbersome, and I remember the band members looking at each other like "what's the hell is he doing" ? ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:31:30 AM by herlock »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2021, 10:27:36 AM »

LE

Well...
I was in Paris in 2010, wonderful concerts, one of the best I ever attended. But... I don't think Sultans was that great. The solo was quite cumbersome, and I remember the band members looking at each other like "what's the hell is he doing" ? ;)

Sultans from Manchester and Brighton 2010 are amongst my favourites and the Brighton version had some nods to the longer version too.   
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2021, 10:28:45 AM »
Well...
I was in Paris in 2010, wonderful concerts, one of the best I ever attended. But... I don't think Sultans was that great. The solo was quite cumbersome, and I remember the band members looking at each other like "what's the hell is he doing" ? ;)

Oh yes? Well If you were there (lucky you) I guess that your feeling is more accurate than mine but, still, I've always liked it.

Let's give it a try again  ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 10:45:10 AM »
Well...

Oh yes? Well If you were there (lucky you) I guess that your feeling is more accurate than mine but, still, I've always liked it.

I liked it.   :)  The solo was different in parts as though he was experimenting, but that's OK with me.

I liked Madrid and Badelona from 2010 too.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 10:50:59 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2021, 10:50:47 AM »
Well...

I liked it.   :)  The solo was different in parts as though he was experimenting, but that's OK with me.
I don't hate it for sure :) But I prefer Sion 2015, for instance... more old licks reminiscent of 1992...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2021, 04:02:30 PM »
When I decided to compile my list I had to write it down on Notepad first as I discovered it wasn’t just as simple as I had thought.  Sometimes it depends on my mood and sometimes I like more than one version but for different reasons. 

Another factor that came into it was the vocal - something I hadn’t expected to be a deciding factor.  For example, if Romeo in 2001 had the same energetic vocal as that from 1985 it would be the ultimate.  Something I noticed is that since about 1988, even on the Clapton tour, he didn’t even bother with any effort on his vocal and now it has descended into a very weak and weary effort.

SFA - Wembley 10.07.85 no doubt the ’85 versions were best and this one is probably the best of the lot.  The few we have from the North American leg are great too like Montreal.  Lovely tone, kept it simple, interesting solos, cool vocal.  Total contrast to the more recent whammy bar dominated ones.

Sultans - impossible to say after so many versions, however I would say that my favourites are from the BIA tour, specifically the North American leg and later European leg.  So much energy!  Latterly in 2015 it seemed he was only playing the song as a joke, hence why he played the last few notes of the twiddly bits out of tune every single night.

ToL - similar to Sultans really.  The song really reached its peak in terms of arrangement at this time I think.  Boston 05.10.85

R&J - more difficult now.  I loved the solos from the 2001 tour best but he’s singing for about 5 mins of the song and that was most enjoyable in ’85/6.  I can take or leave the sax on this but never really liked anyone but Chris playing on it and his solos were more varied on the BIA tour.  Depends what mood I’m in.  Chicago 2001 or Berlin 1985.

TR - 1996 and 2001.  Best solos and more monumental and epic than the others (2005 versions excepted).  Detroit 2001 is excellent.

BIA - BIA tour.  The only versions to contain passion in the vocal and very powerful.  Began to be more polished from around June/July but some early versions are also very good like Monaco.

MFN - BIA tour.  Steinberger sound has grown on me.  I think the problem people have with it is that it’s not a LP.  Just take it on it’s own and it’s absolutely fine.  The LP on tour never sounded like the album anyway; it was all in the amps.  Boston 05.10.85 is probably better than most - one of the best shows IMHO.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 12:37:23 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2021, 04:32:01 PM »
I notice that no-one has mentioned any songs other than DS ones.   Why no MK solo songs?    :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2021, 04:36:05 PM »
I notice that no-one has mentioned any songs other than DS ones.   Why no MK solo songs?    :think

I thought about that too:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 04:39:00 PM »
I first.

May 8, 2013
5.15 AM Lódz - Atlas Arena
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2021, 04:46:08 PM »
I tend to agree with Dmg that for DS, BIA tour versions are the best. Especially 1985. Although rougher saxless versions from 1983 are very nice too. I personnally also love OL 1980/1981 tour for some versions, News, Lions, WDYTYG and Angel of Mercy are killers of this tour ! OES versions are sophisticated but too much, too polished...
For solo stuff 2002 versions of WII and WAM are hard to beat, although I also loved 2019 versions for WAM, with the brassies. For Speedway, 2010 versions with Danny are very good. HFB was also best in 2010, so was Piper and also Border Reiver and Coyote (well actually there were the only ones). KOG was great in Paris 2015.
For TR 1983 versions are great, passionate vocals, but a bit rough and short, I tend to agree that best versions were 1996, 2001 and 2005, before the (in)famous karaoke mode for the first solo, although there were some great end solos in 2010 (Paris), 2013 (Saint-Julien), 2015 (Sion) and 2019 (Barcelona).
Also, MFN, BIA and STP were superb in 2019. So was Silvertown !

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2021, 04:51:16 PM »
I first.

May 8, 2013

Back to Tupelo - Newcastle 2013

The version from Edinburgh is lovely too.

Back to Tupelo - Edinburgh 2005
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2021, 05:04:56 PM »
I first.

May 8, 2013

I was very pleased when he played it in Edinburgh. I think I met you there Val?!

To answer your question, I guess there hasn't been as much variation in the MK solo years?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2021, 05:13:23 PM »
I first.

May 8, 2013

I was very pleased when he played it in Edinburgh. I think I met you there Val?!

To answer your question, I guess there hasn't been as much variation in the MK solo years?

Dusty - I first met you in the queue for Hay-on-Sky, then in Edinburgh 2008.   :)

Yes, I suppose less variety in MK solo songs on tour, but a lot of variety on the albums.
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.