Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2022  (Read 72122 times)

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: New for 2022
« Reply #390 on: July 10, 2022, 03:53:57 PM »
I think it makes little sense to make an album, and barely manage to cover the production costs, just for the pleasure of doing it.  Especially the record company would object as it would struggle to support such a thing without having a decent income.  And Mark?  Where would you get the income from?  For this reason I believe that if he does not do any more live, he is almost forced to make a radio album.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #391 on: July 10, 2022, 05:09:37 PM »
It is true that record sales probably won't cover the expenses of studio sessions. Despite being his studio, he pays for the studio time as any other clients, and his musicians are expensive, but he has money enough to do it just for pleasure.

But if he wants to recover the expenses and do some money he probably would need to do some live playing. Nowadays live concerts is from where musicians do money.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #392 on: July 10, 2022, 05:55:47 PM »
It is true that record sales probably won't cover the expenses of studio sessions. Despite being his studio, he pays for the studio time as any other clients, and his musicians are expensive, but he has money enough to do it just for pleasure.

But if he wants to recover the expenses and do some money he probably would need to do some live playing. Nowadays live concerts is from where musicians do money.

Not entirely true for legacy artists like Mark.
The royalties from radio,streaming,videos,tv and other artists covering his songs will make him hundreds of thousands per year.
The quality musicians he uses for his records would be a tax write off for a flop(DTRW)album.
Add in the profits from investments and he won't need to ask the next liar/Tory PM for a pension increase.
It'd be nice if there was a popular song on the next album but unless he plays Glastonbury next year it is likely to go the way of DTRW.
He's had his pop(ular) time so no need for him to do that again
Of course things could change if he duets with a pop artist,gets sampled or decides to tik tok himself wearing just his old headband but....... ;D

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #393 on: July 10, 2022, 06:22:33 PM »
Come on, we're trying to be positive and force him to play gigs, lol

Seriously, I think that, despite his playing is not as used to be, the middle part of last tour, where he played songs like "heart full of holes" etc was good enough to have him playing an entire show in an intimate way without too much guitar playing. He would do a perfect show that way, and I truly would love to see such a concert, with no guitar demanding songs .

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #394 on: July 10, 2022, 06:28:43 PM »

Seriously, I think that, despite his playing is not as used to be, the middle part of last tour, where he played songs like "heart full of holes" etc was good enough to have him playing an entire show in an intimate way without too much guitar playing. He would do a perfect show that way, and I truly would love to see such a concert, with no guitar demanding songs .

That would do for me too!   :thumbsup   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #395 on: July 10, 2022, 07:24:38 PM »
I don’t think any artists of his age are going to have radio pop hits.

At least MK doesn’t have to pay for studio time.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #396 on: July 10, 2022, 07:46:48 PM »

Yes he has.

It is his studio but he pays for his time there as any other artist. It's true that is money that goes from one pocket to the other, but is something he needs to do because when he's recording there are professionals working there with a salary and that salary needs an income to be paid

I used to work in a hotel who belonged to a company that used the hotel facilities for meetings with rooms and lunch and dinners for people at the meetings and the company paid for all the services like any other client because all the services they were using had people working with a salary, if you don't pay for those services, you are loosing money, if you pay for it, at least the hotel doesn't loose money, and in the end is money going from one pocket to the other, and if you use other facilities, you are giving the money to someone else, this way you give the money to yourself.

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #397 on: July 10, 2022, 08:36:52 PM »

Finally, a bit of optimism:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #398 on: July 10, 2022, 08:43:48 PM »

I would object Paul McCartney

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #399 on: July 11, 2022, 11:18:50 AM »
I think it makes little sense to make an album, and barely manage to cover the production costs, just for the pleasure of doing it.  Especially the record company would object as it would struggle to support such a thing without having a decent income.  And Mark?  Where would you get the income from?  For this reason I believe that if he does not do any more live, he is almost forced to make a radio album.

This is not always true, sorry to keep mentioning Mike Oldfield, but he is the answer to a lot of questions, he hasn't done a tour to promote an album since 1993 he has done a few one off concerts though, his last tour was 1999 for 2 months, but that was not to promote an album as such. He has his own studio so doesn't have to pay for studio time, but the record label (Same as Mark's) don't seem to mind him not touring. So, I can see Mark not doing any full blown tours anymore, but I can't see him not doing some live promotion for an album.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #400 on: July 11, 2022, 11:32:03 AM »

Yes he has.

It is his studio but he pays for his time there as any other artist. It's true that is money that goes from one pocket to the other, but is something he needs to do because when he's recording there are professionals working there with a salary and that salary needs an income to be paid

I used to work in a hotel who belonged to a company that used the hotel facilities for meetings with rooms and lunch and dinners for people at the meetings and the company paid for all the services like any other client because all the services they were using had people working with a salary, if you don't pay for those services, you are loosing money, if you pay for it, at least the hotel doesn't loose money, and in the end is money going from one pocket to the other, and if you use other facilities, you are giving the money to someone else, this way you give the money to yourself.

Maybe, really you or I have no idea about his arrangments. He maybe books it at quiet times to minimise losses.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #401 on: July 11, 2022, 02:07:17 PM »

Yes he has.

Maybe, really you or I have no idea about his arrangments. He maybe books it at quiet times to minimise losses.

It is a commercial studio, very famous and prestigious, all the time he's using it, other customers who would pay money can't use it, so paying for his own studio time is the logical thing to do. It's not like his house studio in Holland Park Mews, this is a commercial studio, and using it at quite times, yes, probably he would do that with Studio 2, which it is used mainly, as Guy says, to mix film music in all kind of surrounds for big films, but Studio 1 is always pretty busy and it would be more difficult to find that quiet times, specially since he has to hire also his musicians and coordinate all of that. However, even in quiet times, he has to pay for all the technicians and also Guy's salary, so he has to pay for his own studio time even on quiet times as he would be causing expenses, with no income, which would be bad for the Studio economy.

I don't know for sure about his arrangements, of course, but being a commercial studio, I'm pretty sure I'm right with this.

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #402 on: July 11, 2022, 02:40:26 PM »
The money is in touring even if he did just  5 nights at rah  he probably covers everything and makes a bit irrespective of album sales .Rough guesstimation 5000 tickets a night at average of £100  is £2.5 million .

Onlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #403 on: July 11, 2022, 05:02:21 PM »
The money is in touring even if he did just  5 nights at rah  he probably covers everything and makes a bit irrespective of album sales .Rough guesstimation 5000 tickets a night at average of £100  is £2.5 million .

Then you have to pay the rent of the venue and the salary of all musicians and technicians.

I guess they still would make one million, maybe less.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #404 on: July 11, 2022, 05:44:23 PM »

He should tour UK and Europe in a way they did the showcases about 15 years ago.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 37 queries.