Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2022  (Read 72153 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: New for 2022
« Reply #405 on: July 11, 2022, 06:41:41 PM »
I think it makes little sense to make an album, and barely manage to cover the production costs, just for the pleasure of doing it.  Especially the record company would object as it would struggle to support such a thing without having a decent income.  And Mark?  Where would you get the income from?  For this reason I believe that if he does not do any more live, he is almost forced to make a radio album.

I don’t think Mark has financial concerns at this stage of his life… yes, just for the pleasure will do.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineMaxG

• Guitar George
« Reply #406 on: July 11, 2022, 06:45:48 PM »
Without speculating on his diminishing physical abilities, its sad realising that he has aged, but this is reality. There has to come a point whereby you just not putting out what you feel you want to or should be, perhaps he realises this. I know a lot of others carry on into their late 70s and even 80s but its not a benchmark for the industry, its a personal thing and everyone ages differently. You also have to realise MK has extremely high standards and always had exemplary guitar and musical skills, he is also the main focus of the show so this is much harder to maintain or mask over any cracks in your playing than if you in the Rolling Stones for example, they older but as each does only one specific instrument so its spread out, probably also less technically/physically difficult and therefore easier I would imagine to carry any weaknesses appearing.

I would be happy if he doesn't feel capable anymore and just puts out a few more albums. I am hopeful however there will be some live promo. work for the new album which is not to demanding like appearing on talk/tv shows, radio work etc. where he can perhaps do a few songs live.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 06:49:16 PM by MaxG »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #407 on: July 11, 2022, 09:09:44 PM »
My view on the question is : Mark performing a club gig residency in London playing stuff he's able to  with local musicians. Low profile, low effort, low cost, low everything except admission fees of course.

But even this seems to be out of his scope.

More probably hiring the usual promo band, 5 european tv or radio apparence performing one to three tracks max and that will be all.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #408 on: July 11, 2022, 09:39:31 PM »
I hope for a few showcases like the ones they did about 10 years ago...

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #409 on: July 11, 2022, 10:16:29 PM »
My opinion on MK showcases : they sucks.

When not playing with his touring band there is always something not right to my ears.

Baloney Again performing live on french Canal+  is an exception, just him and Guy.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #410 on: July 11, 2022, 10:27:26 PM »
My opinion on MK showcases : they sucks.

When not playing with his touring band there is always something not right to my ears.

Baloney Again performing live on french Canal+  is an exception, just him and Guy.

To each their own... I sometimes love Mark's local British band more than his usual mastodons band. I think he generally gains something from this raw, stripped-down outfit. For the most part, his regular musicians are complete overkill for his music anyway. You don't need to have 60 years of recording experience to play 3 chords rhythm in "Donegan's Gone", you know!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #411 on: July 11, 2022, 10:48:52 PM »
I had no fun listening "Donegan's Gone" even with his 2005 line up ;D

Postcards from Paraguay in 2008 was just fab, but was not as good in the later tours.

I Dug Up A Diamond in 2006 is in my top 5 of killer songs performed live.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #412 on: July 11, 2022, 11:03:17 PM »
I had no fun listening "Donegan's Gone" even with his 2005 line up ;D

Postcards from Paraguay in 2008 was just fab, but was not as good in the later tours.

I Dug Up A Diamond in 2006 is in my top 5 of killer songs performed live.

Yes, and it's a good point. Even having top musicians in the world it's not a guarantee of having a great performance. Mark probably thinks it is though.

But I think the lack of official material is also to blame. Personally, I judge nearly all recent (from 2010) recordings from concert USB sticks and the quality of those... Well, sometimes I even wish there were no such recordings at all. Having a band like this and barely recording proper live albums is beyond any understanding.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #413 on: July 12, 2022, 12:42:42 AM »
In my opinion Mark wasn't interested even by Alchemy.
It was for me sort a contractual live album asked by the record company.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #414 on: July 12, 2022, 08:23:26 AM »
I think the point is the 96's et al really enjoy Mark's music, otherwise they wouldn't keep playing with him both live and in the studio, there is plenty of work for them elsewhere. Mark can choose almost any musician he wants to but he choose them, and they have had nothing but praise to say about Mark. It will be interesting though, if he chooses to stop touring does that mean the length between albums will be shorter? maybe more film score work? This is him moving into a new phase of his career.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #415 on: July 12, 2022, 09:10:59 AM »
In my opinion Mark wasn't interested even by Alchemy.
It was for me sort a contractual live album asked by the record company.

I think you can say that about every Mark's live performance. Even in interviews, you can clearly see how he would want to be somewhere else instead of recording this interview. Good for him, probably, but not for us.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #416 on: July 12, 2022, 09:17:52 AM »
I think the point is the 96's et al really enjoy Mark's music, otherwise they wouldn't keep playing with him both live and in the studio, there is plenty of work for them elsewhere. Mark can choose almost any musician he wants to but he choose them, and they have had nothing but praise to say about Mark. It will be interesting though, if he chooses to stop touring does that mean the length between albums will be shorter? maybe more film score work? This is him moving into a new phase of his career.

Something is telling me he's gonna try touring again. Health problems and the absence of voice or deteriorating voice never stopped some musicians from touring. Brian Wilson is still touring barely able to play and sing something. The general audience would not care, as long as the man is on the stage doing stuff.

I think we'll see where it's going with the new album, which takes a lot of time to make it seems. But with Mark, you quickly learn to wait a lot.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #417 on: July 12, 2022, 01:18:34 PM »

I like this idea very much:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #418 on: July 12, 2022, 01:22:26 PM »

I completely understand the people who want him to do more concerts, but do you really want to see Mark struggle to play almost every song? In 2019 he stopped playing the solo in the outro of Sailing to Philadelphia and decided to add the sax at the end to disguise it; he struggled to play the outro solo to R&J, and so after a few concerts he cut it down and ended it without playing the trademark last lick in the solo; My Bacon Roll got disguised with the other instruments, Bonaparte slowed down; forgot the lyrics to HFOH quite a few times; some versions of Speedway at Nazareth were not good and he butchered the intro to MFN at least twice, that I remember. Brothers in Arms solo simplified... The tour also had its good moments, of course, but the clues that he can't play live anymore are endless. And that's fine, he's almost 73. I'm just not sure we, as a community of fans, want to see more of this. I would rather that he would concentrate on doing what he still does better than anyone, which is to write songs and make records.
[/quote]

:clap :clap

OES didn't sound so good either and Once Upon a Time was a wasted opportunity with exchanges lasting about 5 seconds each.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 01:29:06 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #419 on: July 12, 2022, 08:30:31 PM »
Without speculating on his diminishing physical abilities, its sad realising that he has aged, but this is reality. There has to come a point whereby you just not putting out what you feel you want to or should be, perhaps he realises this. I know a lot of others carry on into their late 70s and even 80s but its not a benchmark for the industry, its a personal thing and everyone ages differently. You also have to realise MK has extremely high standards and always had exemplary guitar and musical skills, he is also the main focus of the show so this is much harder to maintain or mask over any cracks in your playing than if you in the Rolling Stones for example, they older but as each does only one specific instrument so its spread out, probably also less technically/physically difficult and therefore easier I would imagine to carry any weaknesses appearing.

I would be happy if he doesn't feel capable anymore and just puts out a few more albums. I am hopeful however there will be some live promo. work for the new album which is not to demanding like appearing on talk/tv shows, radio work etc. where he can perhaps do a few songs live.
Apparently the Stones also use backing tracks to beef up the sound…
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 37 queries.