Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 70021 times)

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #420 on: February 08, 2024, 09:43:25 PM »
Good project,  good cause, good line up, good tune, good cover. I think it's all good. Will buy and be happy.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #421 on: February 08, 2024, 09:52:10 PM »
This will be CD for me.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejf9081

• Camerado
« Reply #422 on: February 08, 2024, 09:59:55 PM »
Going Home (Theme From Local Hero)   9:50   
exact minutes. I can't wait!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #423 on: February 08, 2024, 10:22:37 PM »
10 minutes. This will be a unique version.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #424 on: February 08, 2024, 10:36:16 PM »
Jack White was on that guitar documentary with Page and The Edge.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineIron Hand

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #425 on: February 08, 2024, 11:22:56 PM »
Can't believe that the WHOLE project that took around TWO YEARS is just ONE SONG, that we all know, like GOING HOME!!!!!

It doesn't matter that is 9 minutes long and all those musicians played it, this is the biggest dissapoinment ever.
I'm not disappointed that it's one song, but I do think that a full-sized CD and a Blu-Ray should have some kind of bonus/B-side. Like a different mix (e.g. without drums, or with contributions that were edited out of the "main" one, alternate takes, whatever). Or a remix of the original recording + the Alchemy version. The Blu-Ray could maybe have a Making Of, idk.

I'll probably just buy the download when it's available...
Going Home (Theme From Local Hero)   9:50   
exact minutes. I can't wait!
I assume it's been kept under ten minutes because of some weird rule of download sites, same as with "Blackstar" by David Bowie.
"I don't know how you came to get the Bette Davis kneeees"

OfflineGuitarman1972

• Camerado
« Reply #426 on: February 08, 2024, 11:49:05 PM »
I understand now it's only a retake of Going Home Theme with all those big names doing a small part on it  ???. To be honest I think this is really silly. I would understand that Mark would have written new songs and have the big names play on one of the songs and have a re-take of Going Home as bonus. It would have made much more sense if Mark asked them to play on 2 songs. On one new one and on the special edition of Going Home.  :hmm

Doubt even if this version is going to be better than the Alchemy version.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #427 on: February 09, 2024, 12:20:45 AM »
I understand now it's only a retake of Going Home Theme with all those big names doing a small part on it  ???. To be honest I think this is really silly. I would understand that Mark would have written new songs and have the big names play on one of the songs and have a re-take of Going Home as bonus. It would have made much more sense if Mark asked them to play on 2 songs. On one new one and on the special edition of Going Home.  :hmm

Doubt even if this version is going to be better than the Alchemy version.

The idea of 65 people or whatever jamming on one tune in and of itself is ridiculous, it solves a problem that never existed. Especially considering the amount of time given to each player (do the math). Even the title is confusing, like... Mark Knopfler's Guitar Heroes? He would be the last person on the planet I would expect to use the words "guitar hero" for anything. However, for a charity track, it's perfect. It's grandiose, it's Mark's most famous instrumental piece, it has Sgt. Pepper's designer doing the cover, and all these names.

I doubt somebody recreationally listens to "We Are the World" or similar songs to enjoy the music. Speaking of which, check out Bob Dylan's reaction to "We Are the World" in the music video — it sums up the feelings of an artist doing this. He said, "I tried to do my best". It contradicts Mark's public personality just a little bit with this attention-grabbing, record-breaking, "guitar hero"-based, instrumental, clearly not song-driven or vocal-driven project, but it's still a million times better than Dire Straits reunion and helps a good cause. MK did it again.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #428 on: February 09, 2024, 07:24:59 AM »
As well as the article that took up the whole of a page in The Times yesterday, they also published a leading article on the event:-

imi Hendrix would be 81 now. Imagine what the man proclaimed as the greatest guitarist of all time might have achieved in the 53 years since his untimely death in a London flat from an overdose of barbiturates. Hendrix is one of the 27 Club, that roll call of doomed youth, rock stars destined to die at that cursed age. Rolling Stones founder Brian Jones was a fellow member, like Hendrix a talent forever preserved in aspic. Yet, despite their reputation for hellraising, and the implied contractual term with fame to check out early, most great guitarists make it to old age. Now, a millennium’s worth of talent is being mobilised in a noble cause.

Mark Knopfler, singer and lead guitarist of Dire Straits, has co-opted his heroes to play in a recording of his composition Going Home, the theme from the 1983 film Local Hero. Proceeds from the recording will go to charities helping teenagers suffering from cancer in Britain and the US.

The line-up includes living legends such as Eric Clapton, 78, Pete Townshend, 78, and David Gilmour, 77, who join spring chicken Brian May, 76. Add the US contingent, including Bruce Springsteen and Slash, a baby at 58, and then bassist Sting, drummer Ringo Starr and harmonica player Roger Daltrey, plus others, and the total years of exceptional talent comfortably exceeds a thousand; an embarrassment of riches that has forced the producers to extend the instrumental to nine minutes. Most moving is the contribution of Jeff Beck, who died last year after recording it.

When it comes to so-called super groups the parts tend to be greater than the whole. Presumably, given the inevitable congestion, the chance for these talents to shine is limited. But this is help for a good cause, not an egofest. In any case, the ­recording offers years of drunken after-party fun for air-guitaring rock nerds as they shout over each other while sorting the Pete from the Slash.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #429 on: February 09, 2024, 09:57:37 AM »
We Are The World is indeed a terrible song but plenty of people listen to Do They Know It's Christmas to enjoy the music every December, at least here in the UK.

OfflineIron Hand

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #430 on: February 09, 2024, 10:37:18 AM »
I actually think We Are The World is a better song than Do They Know It's Christmas. It's got more interesting musical ideas and doesn't descend into repetition quite as quickly.

Both songs have been doing fairly well compared to other charity projects like the Ferry Aid version of "Let It Be" (which features Mark Knopfler), which you rarely hear on the radio nowadays, or the various re-recordings of the Band Aid and USA for Africa songs.
"I don't know how you came to get the Bette Davis kneeees"

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #431 on: February 09, 2024, 11:05:07 AM »
I actually think We Are The World is a better song than Do They Know It's Christmas. It's got more interesting musical ideas and doesn't descend into repetition quite as quickly.

Both songs have been doing fairly well compared to other charity projects like the Ferry Aid version of "Let It Be" (which features Mark Knopfler), which you rarely hear on the radio nowadays, or the various re-recordings of the Band Aid and USA for Africa songs.

I will respectfully disagree, I think We Are The World is horrible and cheesy, Band Aid has a number of good hooks, good drumming, cool synth etc. Just my opinion though!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #432 on: February 09, 2024, 11:43:17 AM »
A couple of things of not from the artist line up, I was surprised to see Sheryl Crow, she is a good singer, but not a guitar hero, so, I guess she will be playing rhythm guitar? It's great that we get to hear Vince Gill on a track with Mark again, not to mention the dream of David Gilmour :) and other Mark co-workers like Hank Marvin and Sonny Landreth. I am not surprised to see Mike Rutherford as he is good friends with Guy. Keith Urban is a big Mark Knopfler fan too. I am sure Brad Paisley will bring some cool country licks, but, I am interested to hear how Steve Vai and Joe Satriani play Going Home, I can foresee some tapping ;)
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #433 on: February 09, 2024, 12:45:46 PM »
I think that Guy must had a very problematic time having so many guitar solos from so many different players to mix... wow, how do you choose which one goes where? Imagine each of them played 12 excellent solos, but you have to choose one, and where do you mix that one?

Wow, the size of this project is big, even more difficult to record a whole record with less say 12 songs, that would give you more room to everybody, but mix all those people's solos in a 9 minutes song? challenging!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #434 on: February 09, 2024, 12:49:32 PM »
9:50  ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 39 queries.