Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 69984 times)

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #495 on: February 11, 2024, 08:58:46 PM »
Way to much over analysis and cynicism from some quarters.

Yup. Sometimes it's totally OK just to sit back and enjoy.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #496 on: February 11, 2024, 09:51:21 PM »
Well, I like that this one appears to lead with the Les Paul on this one. That’s always been my favourite variant.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #497 on: February 12, 2024, 07:35:57 AM »
Well, I like that this one appears to lead with the Les Paul on this one. That’s always been my favourite variant.

I agree. I think a Strat sounds great for the Wild Theme, but for Going Home a singing, distorted tone works really well.

I also think it is really cool that Mark got in touch with guitarists you don't normally associate with him.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #498 on: February 12, 2024, 08:06:29 AM »
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I forgot Pete Townshend had played Going Home with Mark. Watch Pete on stage later in the clip. Maybe those are the "chords" Mark was referring to recently in an interview when discussing Pete's contribution.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #499 on: February 12, 2024, 08:32:27 AM »
Must have been a ball for Jack to get the chance to play with Pete. Very nice moment captured to see how fast and easy the greats (and louds) get into each other's stuff.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #500 on: February 12, 2024, 10:40:40 AM »
Must have been a ball for Jack to get the chance to play with Pete. Very nice moment captured to see how fast and easy the greats (and louds) get into each other's stuff.

LE

Mark's current manager is a die-hard fan of Pete's, and Mark had an opportunity to organise meetings for them on multiple occasions. Pretty sure they had a great time this time around as well! I never was terribly into The Who's stuff though, probably because I'm not a native speaker and they rely a lot on poetry and symbolism, probably because this music is just a bit too heavy for me.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #501 on: February 12, 2024, 11:26:23 AM »
Interesting.

I've never thought about The Who as being a lyric driven act. If you listen to something like Won't Get Fooled Again or The Seeker to me it's all about the powerful music.

On the plus side, these collaborations brought to mind the fact that while MK may have led a low-key, "boring" life, he's managed to avoid the controversies that some of the collaborators on this project haven't (Townshend, Page, Clapton).

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #502 on: February 12, 2024, 11:37:43 AM »
Interesting.

I've never thought about The Who as being a lyric driven act. If you listen to something like Won't Get Fooled Again or The Seeker to me it's all about the powerful music.

On the plus side, these collaborations brought to mind the fact that while MK may have led a low-key, "boring" life, he's managed to avoid the controversies that some of the collaborators on this project haven't (Townshend, Page, Clapton).

What about all these rock operas though? I love rock opera by the way, as in real classical operas performed in rock settings, somehow The Who's operas never touched me. Yes, probably the music is too powerful for me, I've never liked really powerful music and in fact, this is why I love Mark's music so much.

Not only did MK manage to lead a great no-controversy life (apart maybe from this avoiding tax drama), but I think one of his great accomplishments will be to never resurrect his old band in any shape or form. He could do it and never think about money again, but he chose not to, and it deserves respect.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #503 on: February 12, 2024, 11:44:37 AM »
Also he never would be one of those who come up with endless farewell-last-tour-announcements and then come back two years later.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #504 on: February 12, 2024, 11:47:10 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of The Who, I guess I would say I like the singles. I've never watched or listened to any of the rock operas all the way through, unless you count the Tommy OST which I picked up on vinyl and have listened to once.

Absolutely agree on MK refusing to resurrect DS as a cash grab. He's managed his career perfectly IMO. I imagine there are quite a few of his peers entirely envious of the fact that he was playing hefty arenas with a set focussed on the music he wanted to play, folky stuff etc, while they churn out the same hits from 40 years ago.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #505 on: February 12, 2024, 11:48:06 AM »
Also he never would be one of those who come up with endless farewell-last-tour-announcements and then come back two years later.

LE

Yes, or did a special tour to play Brothers in Arms in full or something like that as many others have done.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #506 on: February 12, 2024, 12:05:46 PM »
Interesting.

Won't Get Fooled Again ahve very cynical lyrics. Great powerful music yes, but also lyrics with a "social/political" message

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #507 on: February 12, 2024, 12:08:05 PM »
and Whos' next project was Lifehouse, based on spiritual thoughts, distopic vision about our society, and poetry lyrics

I think that Pete is one of greatest songwriters, in the same league as Bob Dylan, Paul Simon or Macca imho

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #508 on: February 12, 2024, 12:50:07 PM »

I agree. I think a Strat sounds great for the Wild Theme, but for Going Home a singing, distorted tone works really well.

I also think it is really cool that Mark got in touch with guitarists you don't normally associate with him.

Was it Mark who choose the players then?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #509 on: February 12, 2024, 12:57:01 PM »

Was it Mark who choose the players then?

It's called Mark Knopfler's Guitar Heroes, so I think it's safe to say it was he who chose the players, with a little help from his friends of course.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 39 queries.