Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 69973 times)

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #570 on: March 02, 2024, 09:06:51 PM »
Sounds so overloaded... I don't like it. As a charity thing I hope it helps it to sell but musically, it's too much for me.

I’m so glad I wasn’t the only one who thought that. Far too muddy but I guess it was kind of inevitable with all those musicians on one track, even if they aren’t all playing at the same time.

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #571 on: March 02, 2024, 09:48:06 PM »
Musically maybe really too much. But: It is charity and all those names on a MK classic is fabulous-
I will wait for the whole thing. In 2 weeks we know more
Love will find a Way

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #572 on: March 02, 2024, 09:48:41 PM »
Sounds so overloaded... I don't like it. As a charity thing I hope it helps it to sell but musically, it's too much for me.

I’m so glad I wasn’t the only one who thought that. Far too muddy but I guess it was kind of inevitable with all those musicians on one track, even if they aren’t all playing at the same time.

I agree.  I kind of guessed it would sound like that; it was inevitable. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 10:00:25 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #573 on: March 02, 2024, 09:56:57 PM »

I agree.  I kind of guessed it would sound like that; it was inevitable.

When I heard this longer version, I felt like I'd rather miss it altogether. I don't want to be further disappointed. I mean what a stupid idea. But it's kind of doomed from the start. Let's have 100 painters and paint one picture. Let's have 100 singers and sing one song. Let's have 100 cooks and make a single meal. It doesn't make any sense. I'd want to hear more of these artists. I'd want to hear 60 versions of the "Going Home" theme, not everything crammed in one place. Unbelievable. I pass.

I know it has 8 more minutes of guitar noodling in it, I also know that the only thing I'll feel would be "I wish that was just a duo track with *insert guitar player's name*". Like imagine it was Going Home - Mark Knopfler & Jeff Beck's version, that alone would be worth it. Other artists release duets albums, songs recorded with orchestra, jazz versions of songs or whatever. Mark has... well, this. And sometimes I wish he'd be more "basic".
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 10:16:32 PM by quizzaciously »

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #574 on: March 02, 2024, 10:42:58 PM »
But a movie can easily have 60 actors, a tale 60 characters... It's a good thing for a good purpose, something that never happened before in a guitarist world, if wverybody accepted maybe there must be something in it.. ;)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #575 on: March 02, 2024, 10:50:04 PM »
But a movie can easily have 60 actors, a tale 60 characters... It's a good thing for a good purpose, something that never happened before in a guitarist world, if wverybody accepted maybe there must be something in it.. ;)

But a movie can last for hours! And a tale can last for 1000 pages. If you make these comparisons, it's more like a commercial with 60 actors or a short story with 60 characters. It's just... A bit overloaded. On paper, it sounds very good. On paper. So many great players, a great cause, the legendary song, everything's so great. And the comments everywhere show that. Only when you start to think about it, think how ridiculous it is, only then you start to scratch your head.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #576 on: March 02, 2024, 10:58:46 PM »

I wonder since you've mentioned it, if anyone rejected the offer precisely not understanding how you can have so many players on one song. Not because they don't want to support the charity, just this sheer technical nuance. I know I would think about it for at least a couple of seconds before saying yes.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #577 on: March 02, 2024, 10:59:25 PM »
Heavens, but some of you are miserable buggers. Hers a great tune played by many of the world’s most famous musicians, to raise a ton of money for a worthwhile cause. Isn’t that enough for you?

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #578 on: March 02, 2024, 11:07:55 PM »
Heavens, but some of you are miserable buggers. Hers a great tune played by many of the world’s most famous musicians, to raise a ton of money for a worthwhile cause. Isn’t that enough for you?

But there’s a difference in supporting or being approving of the cause and liking the track.
I think it’s a superb cause and applaud the musicians for supporting it, but I don’t like the minute I heard of the track.

Two very different things.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #579 on: March 02, 2024, 11:08:19 PM »

If only the world would be so simple. If it is for you, then I envy you. How about... I don't know, artistic value? Relistenability? Do you think an album with more tracks (more of Mark's songs, for instance) would make less money and provide less enjoyment? How about some singing from all these fine folks? They have a whole bunch of great singers there too, not only guitar players. And they also made this one track for years, do you remember?

I said on paper it does sound great, and I'll buy the track to support the cause. But I have some huge concerns about the enjoyability and relistenability of this thing.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #580 on: March 02, 2024, 11:09:31 PM »

But if the 60 actors were all in the same scene and I had to keep up with what they all said, I would feel that scene was muddy.
Likewise I can follow the plot of a book (generally,) but if there were sixty characters all in one chapter…..I’d get confused.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #581 on: March 02, 2024, 11:37:32 PM »

But if the 60 actors were all in the same scene and I had to keep up with what they all said, I would feel that scene was muddy.
Likewise I can follow the plot of a book (generally,) but if there were sixty characters all in one chapter…..I’d get confused.

Haha, right away since you've mentioned it, I remembered "One Hundred Years of Solitude", a book you can't survive without having a family tree printed. I guess just like you can't survive this "Going Home" without a map of who played this 1 second where. Well, at least "One Hundred Years of Solitude" is a huge book and not a 9-minute song!

One thing I can tell you you don't need a map on something like this:

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #582 on: March 02, 2024, 11:41:17 PM »

I wonder since you've mentioned it, if anyone rejected the offer precisely not understanding how you can have so many players on one song. Not because they don't want to support the charity, just this sheer technical nuance. I know I would think about it for at least a couple of seconds before saying yes.

I wonder ... if the greatest players accepted to be in that "filled room", or have a line in that chapter, who are we to say "oh, that is overloaded, what a terrible choice" to the likes of Sting, Springsteen, Beck, Clapton and so on... ??

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #583 on: March 02, 2024, 11:54:21 PM »

I wonder ... if the greatest players accepted to be in that "filled room", or have a line in that chapter, who are we to say "oh, that is overloaded, what a terrible choice" to the likes of Sting, Springsteen, Beck, Clapton and so on... ??

It's called taking something at face value. First, we don't know at all what at least one member of this supergroup truly thinks about it. Everybody just says nice things and how great it is not to spoil the fun and the cause. Which IS great. Maybe some of them share some of our concerns. Heck, maybe even Mark himself shares them. Who knows? People are not obligated to accept any offer, even a charity one.

Second, if a bunch of famous people agree to do something it doesn't make it automatically good. If anything, these "let's fill a room with celebrities" types of things often end up in some kind of disaster. I remember all these all-star cast movies that flopped. Mark always says there's music and music business. This idea is perfect from a music business perspective. I hope it to generate as much money as possible.

Mark actually called it "embarrassment of riches", so even he's hinting it might be oversaturated a little bit. Because it can't be the other way around. If you put so many artists on one track for this amount of time, it's destined to be like this, you can't beat physics and make every one of these players shine and everybody happy with the result, there's just no way. I don't want to be Guy in this situation.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2024, 12:38:10 AM by quizzaciously »

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #584 on: March 03, 2024, 02:05:30 AM »
The end product of these things isn’t really the point.

The version of Knocking on Heavens Door for Dunblane was not a good record, but it served it’s purpose.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 39 queries.