Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 70050 times)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #585 on: March 03, 2024, 08:04:39 AM »
The end product of these things isn’t really the point.

The version of Knocking on Heavens Door for Dunblane was not a good record, but it served it’s purpose.

Exactly. The key word is 'Charity'.

Would some of the critics on here stand by the sidelines of a charitable event yelling 'You're not running fast enough', 'Don't like the colour if your trainers', or 'The beans in your bathtub are the wrong temperature'. Of course not, that would be the hight of pedantry.

Buy it or don't, listen to it once or a thousand times. Like it or hate it, it really doesn't matter. The only thing that does is the money that this raises and the lives it will change....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #586 on: March 03, 2024, 08:30:50 AM »
Sounds so overloaded... I don't like it. As a charity thing I hope it helps it to sell but musically, it's too much for me.

Exactly how I felt when I heard it, but I hope it raises lots and lots of money for the charity.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #587 on: March 03, 2024, 08:51:26 AM »
I hope that all artists mention it in their social media channels.
Latest on the release date. On amazon Germany it is sold out as a CD and vinyl for some days now
Love will find a Way

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #588 on: March 03, 2024, 09:00:15 AM »
Latest on the release date. On amazon Germany it is sold out as a CD and vinyl for some days now

That's good news.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #589 on: March 03, 2024, 09:02:57 AM »
Heavens, but some of you are miserable buggers. Hers a great tune played by many of the world’s most famous musicians, to raise a ton of money for a worthwhile cause. Isn’t that enough for you?

As a charity thing to raise as much money as it could, yes.

Musically is too much for a song.

But that's not what's important in this case.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #590 on: March 03, 2024, 09:11:14 AM »
How can anyone make such negative comments after hearing 1 minute of such a long song? :think It is for a very good cause, Mark was visiting the children at the hospital yesterday, they were all very happy to see him and must appreciate what he is doing, so, I for one am happy too. Anything new from Mark is worthwhile in my book, so, I am looking forward to hearing the full track and not slating everything he seems to be doing at the moment!! After being so quiet on the Knopfler front for years, we are being spoiled now, so please, lets just enjoy it :)
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #591 on: March 03, 2024, 09:35:21 AM »

The version of Knocking on Heavens Door for Dunblane was not a good record, but it served it’s purpose.

Exactly. The key word is 'Charity'.

Would some of the critics on here stand by the sidelines of a charitable event yelling 'You're not running fast enough', 'Don't like the colour if your trainers', or 'The beans in your bathtub are the wrong temperature'. Of course not, that would be the hight of pedantry.

Buy it or don't, listen to it once or a thousand times. Like it or hate it, it really doesn't matter. The only thing that does is the money that this raises and the lives it will change....

If there would be a fan forum for such a charity event to have discussions and opinions, and we were waiting 2 years for it to happen, while it was a top-secret project for no reason, then maybe yes, I would yell such things. I'm not living on a rainbow and I'm not a fan of seeing an army of multi-millionaires who's worth billions of dollars coming together to record a questionable $0.99 single for a charity to raise maybe 1/5 of a million at best. Embarrassment of riches.

I can equally attack the critics of the critics, as you all seem too aggressive in your comments. Chill out, it's just a charity single. At least we start to agree it's more a music business project than a music project. But Mark hates the music business, and seeing him suddenly doing music business things is just... sad. I just wish him to do better than that. Trust me, when people say they want to hear Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour playing together, this is not what they mean.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #592 on: March 03, 2024, 09:45:15 AM »
How can anyone make such negative comments after hearing 1 minute of such a long song? :think It is for a very good cause, Mark was visiting the children at the hospital yesterday, they were all very happy to see him and must appreciate what he is doing, so, I for one am happy too. Anything new from Mark is worthwhile in my book, so, I am looking forward to hearing the full track and not slating everything he seems to be doing at the moment!! After being so quiet on the Knopfler front for years, we are being spoiled now, so please, lets just enjoy it :)

But that's the problem. We need to pretend it's great, we need to write all these saccharine reviews praising the good cause, we need to put on our pink glasses, and we need to applaud Mark for presenting this "new version of Going Home" on a stadium even though the old version worked perfectly fine for decades. And, in my opinion, worked even better. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's again just a huge monument of missed opportunities. I agree it was quiet on Knopfler's front, but everything seems so off I just can't leave positive comments about it. I want to be honest, I don't want to be insincere.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #593 on: March 03, 2024, 10:15:15 AM »
As for hearing it for 1 minute. Yes, I agree it's not fair to review something based on a sample like this, but it's a good chunk of what's to come. It's a whole minute from just a few other minutes. You can already hear the quality of the mix, some artistic choices, appreciate the drums sound more, etc. And I can't see too many comments here praising the mix. I was more hopeful after the first 15-second snippet, I'll be honest. I thought, maybe the miracle happened and they made it work somehow. But no, the second snipped ruined all the hope. It's not gonna happen musically speaking. So I hope it happens business-wise at least.

How it's not good, excuse me? To me, it's one of the best versions of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" with somebody who can actually sing. And Mark's guitar is on point. And the choir is great. Maybe not the best choice of song, but at least it's not 60 guitar players noodling over a famously non-guitar tune.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #594 on: March 03, 2024, 10:42:54 AM »
As for hearing it for 1 minute. Yes, I agree it's not fair to review something based on a sample like this, but it's a good chunk of what's to come. It's a whole minute from just a few other minutes. You can already hear the quality of the mix, some artistic choices, appreciate the drums sound more, etc. And I can't see too many comments here praising the mix. I was more hopeful after the first 15-second snippet, I'll be honest. I thought, maybe the miracle happened and they made it work somehow. But no, the second snipped ruined all the hope. It's not gonna happen musically speaking. So I hope it happens business-wise at least.

How it's not good, excuse me? To me, it's one of the best versions of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" with somebody who can actually sing. And Mark's guitar is on point. And the choir is great. Maybe not the best choice of song, but at least it's not 60 guitar players noodling over a famously non-guitar tune.

It’s all about opinions, that’s mine.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #595 on: March 03, 2024, 10:42:55 AM »

The quality of the product and the goal of the product are two very different things.

The goal is great.

The product is not.

Both things are compatible.

We can say we don't like the mess the song is with so many people playing little things all the time and at the same time wish it sells a lot because is a good cause.

I can't see where the problem is.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #596 on: March 03, 2024, 10:45:38 AM »
The Facebook asslickers will be having a field day with this thread!

For any anonymous Facebook suck up lurkers outraged, fuck you, this is AMIT, and free speech rules supreme here  :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
« Reply #597 on: March 03, 2024, 10:48:39 AM »

That's good news.

Jepp but I don't know where the problem is to get more copies in stock.
They sold 400+ CDs. But that isn't that much.
Love will find a Way

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
« Reply #598 on: March 03, 2024, 10:52:33 AM »
Heavens, but some of you are miserable buggers. Hers a great tune played by many of the world’s most famous musicians, to raise a ton of money for a worthwhile cause. Isn’t that enough for you?

As a charity thing to raise as much money as it could, yes.

Musically is too much for a song.

Exactly. I don't see myself listening to that version more than 10 times.
But this version is only for the good cause and that's why it is great.
I am proud of our man and Guy. Well done.
For listening I prefer Wild Theme from LH

But that's not what's important in this case.
Love will find a Way

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #599 on: March 03, 2024, 11:48:01 AM »
Don't forget, this version takes 10 minutes!! There's going to be a lot going on. Perhaps there will be improvisations and moments that do not resemble the main theme. But the final will be powerful.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 39 queries.