Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 70005 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #631 on: March 03, 2024, 10:25:21 PM »
Sorry, but the premiere of the single Going Home is in two weeks. I suggest a little patience.

Oh, trust me, there'll be even more wars going on after the release. Brace yourself :lol

That's okay. I think people just confuse the discussion of the cause with the discussion of the music. It's two completely different things. My whole point is you should discuss both, not focus on one aspect of it. Charities can be done the awesome way too, there are so many examples. And with music, I would almost always would rather choose a live performance than a simple recording. Imagine if Live Aid was an album, lol.

Yes but as I have pointed out numerous times you weren't just criticising the music, you were criticising the motives of the people involved.
You also completely misunderstood my reply regarding your Nazi comparison. Look up Godwins law...

Oh and you still haven't really answered my question.in reference to those other charities.

My final question to you (because personally I find this discussion rather dispiriting and disappointing). You talk of tools, so I give you 2 options. One a new mk song with his best guitar work in 30 years on, the other  LH. One will raise Millions of £, the other significantly less. One will save the lives of 500 kids, one 100.

The music is completely secondary here.

Which tool are you going to choose....

The disappointment is mutual. And I don't understand your proposal. So it's: 1) A new MK song with his best guitar work in 30 years that saves 500 kids or 2) The Local Hero theme that saves 100? Or vice versa? A new song to save 100 kids or LH to save 500? Either way, it doesn't matter because we already know the premise of what they have to offer and what we can discuss as fans and should support as fans. Everybody here already said they will buy/bought the thing, regardless of whether they like it or not.

A good product or a good song will sell well. If it sells well, it performs well as a charity single. If I made a charity single, the last thing I would want to read is "This sucks, but I'll buy it to support the cause". It should be "Shut up and take my money, oh, and it's a great cause too, awesome". And I want this effect for this single too, it's just I don't get it, unfortunately. Many people do. Doesn't matter if they'll listen to it again or forget about it after a week. They see names, they drop a coin.

Even in this video with Guy, all they talk about is names, names, names, names, names, names, names, names, names.

Well, they had access to all these names, as well as the best producers, engineers, PR managers, designers, philosophers and poets, they had access to anything and everything and unlimited time (2 years is no joke), and all they came up with was one instrumental song where all eggs are literally in one basket. For me, and many other people, it was a little bit anticlimactic, to say the least. A team like this could come up with something better, and that would make more money too. They should know better, that's my point.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #632 on: March 03, 2024, 10:29:40 PM »
Aah... Living Doll by Cliff Richard and the Young Ones. Loved that one. Goes off immediately in my mind ...  ;D

LE

I love The Young Ones, Cliff and Hank so I thought it was brilliant, then and now.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #633 on: March 03, 2024, 10:36:41 PM »
Sorry, but the premiere of the single Going Home is in two weeks. I suggest a little patience.

Oh, trust me, there'll be even more wars going on after the release. Brace yourself :lol

That's okay. I think people just confuse the discussion of the cause with the discussion of the music. It's two completely different things. My whole point is you should discuss both, not focus on one aspect of it. Charities can be done the awesome way too, there are so many examples. And with music, I would almost always would rather choose a live performance than a simple recording. Imagine if Live Aid was an album, lol.

Yes but as I have pointed out numerous times you weren't just criticising the music, you were criticising the motives of the people involved.
You also completely misunderstood my reply regarding your Nazi comparison. Look up Godwins law...

Oh and you still haven't really answered my question.in reference to those other charities.

My final question to you (because personally I find this discussion rather dispiriting and disappointing). You talk of tools, so I give you 2 options. One a new mk song with his best guitar work in 30 years on, the other  LH. One will raise Millions of £, the other significantly less. One will save the lives of 500 kids, one 100.

The disappointment is mutual. And I don't understand your proposal. So it's: 1) A new MK song with his best guitar work in 30 years that saves 500 kids or 2) The Local Hero theme that saves 100? Or vice versa? A new song to save 100 kids or LH to save 500? Either way, it doesn't matter because we already know the premise of what they have to offer and what we can discuss as fans and should support as fans. Everybody here already said they will buy/bought the thing, regardless of whether they like it or not.

A good product or a good song will sell well. If it sells well, it performs well as a charity single. If I made a charity single, the last thing I would want to read is "This sucks, but I'll buy it to support the cause". It should be "Shut up and take my money, oh, and it's a great cause too, awesome". And I want this effect for this single too, it's just I don't get it, unfortunately. Many people do. Doesn't matter if they'll listen to it again or forget about it after a week. They see names, they drop a coin.

Even in this video with Guy, all they talk about is names, names, names, names, names, names, names, names, names.

Well, they had access to all these names, as well as the best producers, engineers, PR managers, designers, philosophers and poets, they had access to anything and everything and unlimited time (2 years is no joke), and all they came up with was one instrumental song where all eggs are literally in one basket. For me, and many other people, it was a little bit anticlimactic, to say the least. A team like this could come up with something better, and that would make more money too. They should know better, that's my point.

Again you missed, or chose to ignore my point. Surely the best tool is the one designed to make the most money, not the one designed with artistic integrity in mind.

'They should know better'.You've heard 20% of the tune,...

Wow....

End of discussion.

I just look forward to your  next multi million selling album. As Guy and Mark noted, just remember to leave your ego at the studio door...

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #634 on: March 03, 2024, 10:39:42 PM »
Aah... Living Doll by Cliff Richard and the Young Ones. Loved that one. Goes off immediately in my mind ...  ;D

LE

I love The Young Ones, Cliff and Hank so I thought it was brilliant, then and now.

Had me in histerics as a teen.

Instrumental break, ok Cliff, which instruments do you want us to break..

;D

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #635 on: March 03, 2024, 10:40:50 PM »

Again you missed, or chose to ignore my point. Surely the best tool is the one designed to make the most money, not the one designed with artistic integrity in mind.

'They should know better'.You've heard 20% of the tune,...

Wow....

End of discussion.

I just look forward to your  next multi million selling album. As Guy and Mark noted, just remember to leave your ego at the studio door...

"End of discussion"

"ego"

LOL

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #636 on: March 04, 2024, 01:08:28 AM »
I agree that some of my claims can sound outrageous, but it's all part of the discussion. And like Dusty, I'm going to defend the freedom of speech here until I fall over. I can imagine someone asking: One song in two years? Seriously? Entire Hollywood blockbusters get made two times faster than that. It feels like this new version of Going Home should be just a closing part of something bigger, like an album. But no, it is the whole thing, this is it. So then maybe Guy worked on it alone? Not possible considering the amount of people involved.

People who gang up on me while transforming this forum into a shit show every time don't understand that I'm not a grumpy 90-year-old guy who's constantly complaining about everything. How do you not notice that almost every Mark's new decision or song generates a lot of controversy, a huge amount of negative comments from a lot of different people, and nothing seems to be done perfectly these days? You might as well just shut down any discussion as it will transform into a shit show eventually as somebody gets triggered and attack people like me.

With every piece of news, you are almost guaranteed to get some major disappointment. It's not normal. It's not okay. I don't want it to be this way, and it's getting out of hand. I am seriously afraid of what will happen after the release of the album as it will divide people even further, no doubt about it. Oh, I reckon AMIT to become a huge battlefield in a month. Is it Mark getting older and caring less and less, or the world is just falling into one big hole, I don't know. But I don't like it.

Offlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #637 on: March 04, 2024, 01:51:21 AM »
I feel sorry for you, man. Must be hard to see so much disturbance everywhere. Almost like folks with perfect pitch that cringe at any dissonance surrounding them.

I certainly am excited about this project and I acknowledge the time it can take to get all these big names together, not to mention huge undertaking to mix and produce it. Kudos to GF! Really looking forward to hearing the whole piece with Jeff Beck's intro.

And I absolutely don't agree that with every piece of news we are "almost guaranteed to get some major disappointment". I am super excited for the new album because I know there will be at least couple of gems on there,  as always have been. 
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #638 on: March 04, 2024, 07:42:39 AM »
I feel sorry for you, man. Must be hard to see so much disturbance everywhere. Almost like folks with perfect pitch that cringe at any dissonance surrounding them.

I certainly am excited about this project and I acknowledge the time it can take to get all these big names together, not to mention huge undertaking to mix and produce it. Kudos to GF! Really looking forward to hearing the whole piece with Jeff Beck's intro.

And I absolutely don't agree that with every piece of news we are "almost guaranteed to get some major disappointment". I am super excited for the new album because I know there will be at least couple of gems on there,  as always have been.

Thank you! I'm excited too, it's impossible not to be excited. But the frustration is tearing me apart at the same time. This huge imbalance we have now is simply staggering. One track that was in the works for 2 years, an album with 12 songs that were in the works for 6 years, plus 13 goddamn bonus tracks, the Local Hero musical album that will be released God knows when, the Eric Hansen film that completely faded into obscurity it seems.

Then you listen to all this and understand the first two singles are kind of too personal and not super extra special... Then you realise the mystery charity project that was hyped for years is just a single instrumental track filled with guitar shredding, when you see the release strategy getting more and more ridiculous, I mean all this combined is such a weird combination of great excitement and incredible frustration never seen before.

You don't need to possess some kind of perfect pitch of disturbances to notice it all. Things are a little bit out of hand, lacking simple attention to detail sometimes. Add to this the absence of touring, Mark's [theoretical because we don't know for sure] health problems, the fact new album could be his last, and the fact that Guy is doing most of the heavy lifting these days. Guy is the man. He really can do anything. But each man's patience only goes so far.

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #639 on: March 04, 2024, 08:20:14 AM »

Thank you! I'm excited too, it's impossible not to be excited. But the frustration is tearing me apart at the same time. This huge imbalance we have now is simply staggering. One track that was in the works for 2 years, an album with 12 songs that were in the works for 6 years, plus 13 goddamn bonus tracks, the Local Hero musical album that will be released God knows when, the Eric Hansen film that completely faded into obscurity it seems.

Then you listen to all this and understand the first two singles are kind of too personal and not super extra special... Then you realise the mystery charity project that was hyped for years is just a single instrumental track filled with guitar shredding, when you see the release strategy getting more and more ridiculous, I mean all this combined is such a weird combination of great excitement and incredible frustration never seen before.

You don't need to possess some kind of perfect pitch of disturbances to notice it all. Things are a little bit out of hand, lacking simple attention to detail sometimes. Add to this the absence of touring, Mark's [theoretical because we don't know for sure] health problems, the fact new album could be his last, and the fact that Guy is doing most of the heavy lifting these days. Guy is the man. He really can do anything. But each man's patience only goes so far.
I know that’s how you feel about things, and I am sorry for that. But I guess most people (even here on AMIT) are quite content. I think you should’t be too surprised or even dissappointed all the time (but hey, it’t up to you, of course! If you are dissappointed, you are). I just think most of us (at least I) don’t feel that strongly about the different choices and directions things take. I just notice them and go on. I think, for instance, that it was kind of sweet that he tried to play those first four notes of BIA on that acoustic, despite his obvious health problems. Not cringe at all (but it’s ok to feel the oposite). And the Going Home guitar hero idea is very fun I think and not that strange of a choice, even if Telegraph Road or Sultans would have been cooler choices. But MK has’t been cool since 1981, so what should we expect? But keep on posting your opinions. I love it!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #640 on: March 04, 2024, 08:39:02 AM »
I have a Spotify playlist with MK scores that I use when working, and when listening to the Local Hero songs, couldn't help but thinking that there are several versions of Going Home in that score, "Wild theme", "The Ceilidh and the northern lights", "Whistle theme" and finally "Going Home", four different versions of the same song, and having so many musicians available with so many personal styles, they could had been divided into the different versions so their contributions could had been more noticiable and valued that three or four seconds each one during an almost 10 minutes song... they are 60 people!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #641 on: March 04, 2024, 09:40:40 AM »
I have a Spotify playlist with MK scores that I use when working, and when listening to the Local Hero songs, couldn't help but thinking that there are several versions of Going Home in that score, "Wild theme", "The Ceilidh and the northern lights", "Whistle theme" and finally "Going Home", four different versions of the same song, and having so many musicians available with so many personal styles, they could had been divided into the different versions so their contributions could had been more noticiable and valued that three or four seconds each one during an almost 10 minutes song... they are 60 people!

Wow, exactly. This is what I'm talking about. Obviously, Guy had tremendous trouble in mixing the track, and from what I can tell, he said in the interview he had about 50 versions of the final mix, it just blows my mind on so many levels. I can't imagine the struggle he went through. Was it necessary? And how this gets transformed into setting a Guinness world record for the most guitar players on one track? Yet another mystery.

It's again something about getting out of hand... Are you gonna do 60 versions of the same tune or try to combine it into one? And if you combine them into one, who are the ones you gonna leave out? So you need to fit them all somehow, and the length increases... You can't do a 30-minute version, so you need to do "the best of" version. I feel like this project might be VERY interesting for bonus material. But where are all these bloody bonus tracks when you need them? :lol

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #642 on: March 04, 2024, 09:55:10 AM »

From Guy's Facebook:

Here’s a one minute segment of the Guitar Heroes track. Players in this clip include.. Mark Knopfler, Ringo Starr, Keith Urban, Zak Starkey, Sting, Eric Clapton, Joan Jett, Albert Lee, Orianthi , Ronnie Wood, Waddy Wachtel, Peter Frampton, Steve Vai , Paul Carrack,  Jonathan Cain, Joe Bonamassa and Duane Eddy…can you hear them? Pre-order and help these kids here... download

I only recognize Clapton.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #643 on: March 04, 2024, 10:05:53 AM »

From Guy's Facebook:

Here’s a one minute segment of the Guitar Heroes track. Players in this clip include.. Mark Knopfler, Ringo Starr, Keith Urban, Zak Starkey, Sting, Eric Clapton, Joan Jett, Albert Lee, Orianthi , Ronnie Wood, Waddy Wachtel, Peter Frampton, Steve Vai , Paul Carrack,  Jonathan Cain, Joe Bonamassa and Duane Eddy…can you hear them? Pre-order and help these kids here... download

I'm really sorry... I promise I'll stop jeopardising this thread and making fun of it, but I just can't stop laughing. My last piece of shit and giggles for now would be this. Here...

My photo with Mark Knopfler, Ringo Starr, Keith Urban, Zak Starkey, Sting, Eric Clapton, Joan Jett, Albert Lee, Orianthi, Ronnie Wood, Waddy Wachtel, Peter Frampton, Steve Vai, Paul Carrack, Jonathan Cain, Joe Bonamassa and Duane Eddy

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #644 on: March 04, 2024, 10:24:13 AM »

From Guy's Facebook:

Starting drums probably Ringo Starr
00.09 Keith Urban
00.14 Eric Clapton
00.28 Albert Lee and Orianthi one after another?
00.36 Peter Frampton?

This is a total mess and probably a big dissapoinment for individual fans of each artist looking for his/her heroe playing...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 39 queries.