Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 70340 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #840 on: March 16, 2024, 05:17:35 PM »
Produced by GZ Media in Czech Republic.

LE

Oh no.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #841 on: March 16, 2024, 05:40:15 PM »
Hmm, this 9-minute thing was very unexpected, and fun in a way. But the way it comes across, as a part hard rock cover of Local Hero, with guitars constantly wailing in the background, to me sounds cluttered and distracting.

It's amazing that so many guys showed up, or sent a tape. Presumably, this thing got a life of its own after a while, with people not wanting to miss out. Or simply to help with the good cause. Or both  ;)

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #842 on: March 16, 2024, 06:17:25 PM »
Hahah, I’ve listened to it one million times today in the car, and it’s the greatest music thing I’ve heard in ages. I love it! Everything about it is great. Guitar and MK OVERLOAD!! Love it!! Incredibly well mixed. So cool and maximalistic. I accidently said that MK hadn’t been cool since 1981, but I was wrong. MK is still cool. And I am happy.

You mean "Guy Fletcher is cool"? Don't think Mark has been that involved to be honest, apart from playing his parts and handing his address book to Guy LOL

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #843 on: March 16, 2024, 06:30:22 PM »
Hahah, I’ve listened to it one million times today in the car, and it’s the greatest music thing I’ve heard in ages. I love it! Everything about it is great. Guitar and MK OVERLOAD!! Love it!! Incredibly well mixed. So cool and maximalistic. I accidently said that MK hadn’t been cool since 1981, but I was wrong. MK is still cool. And I am happy.

You mean "Guy Fletcher is cool"? Don't think Mark has been that involved to be honest, apart from playing his parts and handing his address book to Guy LOL
No, I mean MK. I’m not into conspiracy or fantacy

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #844 on: March 16, 2024, 06:55:23 PM »

No, I mean MK. I’m not into conspiracy or fantacy

Haha! Good observation about Guy. It's crazy how much he's doing nowadays—writing diaries, answering questions, recording and producing albums, doing charity. The only thing he (seemingly) wasn't part of was the guitar auction, but he still was a part of it providing photos and information. Instead of blue plaques inside the British Grove Studios canteen, there should be a statue erected for Guy, jokes aside he's a monster.

Mark's music has never been so dividing though, it's not just mixed opinions but—absolute godification of this "historic recording" on the one hand, and never listening to this creation ever again on the other hand. Jokes aside, I often think it's a good idea to open two different topics, one with praise and the other with less optimistic (though it has nothing to do with optimism) opinions.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #845 on: March 16, 2024, 07:00:53 PM »

I’m not into conspiracy or fantacy

Me neither

OfflineJunkie Doll

• Guitar George
« Reply #846 on: March 16, 2024, 07:29:03 PM »
At 9:15, is that Guy himself on the piano for a second?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #847 on: March 16, 2024, 07:31:10 PM »
Ok, I finally listened.

First the positives.

I loved the music. I just love this tune and honestly could have had another nine minutes. Couldn’t really tell who was who except MK and Duane Eddy but in all honesty after a couple of minutes I stopped trying and was just enjoying the tune. The cover is fantastic and the etching on side b is very cool.

The negatives.

As LE has noted, the mastering is ridiculously loud. It sounds mushy as hell. Can’t say I’ve ever heard a vinyl record as bad as this.

The vinyl itself was crackly and nasty. GZ are truly awful. I’m currently listening to a Gene Pitney album from 1964 and it’s better than this brand new release despite being SIXTY years old. Jesus Christ.

The ending. What the hell was that? Such a sloppy half arsed ending.

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
« Reply #848 on: March 16, 2024, 07:36:26 PM »

The ending. What the hell was that? Such a sloppy half arsed ending.

The ending is anti-climactic, to say the least. First a sudden and weak ending, especially for a song of such length, and then a few random noises after that. Very odd.

Offlinecaci99

• Guitar George
« Reply #849 on: March 16, 2024, 07:43:11 PM »
I am impressed. Going home is such a lovely piece of music and it is one of those fitting tunes that every one can enjoy working on it.
Lovely, listening to it constantly. Would love to decode who is playing by listening to it.
don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #850 on: March 16, 2024, 07:43:54 PM »
There is a short paragraph about the ending in the liner-notes. Have it not at hand right now but it was some sort of weird explanation.

LE
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 07:50:55 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #851 on: March 16, 2024, 07:59:36 PM »
I am impressed. Going home is such a lovely piece of music and it is one of those fitting tunes that every one can enjoy working on it.
Lovely, listening to it constantly. Would love to decode who is playing by listening to it.

After the first listen, I recognized David Gilmour the fastest :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #852 on: March 16, 2024, 08:17:49 PM »
I’m amused by all the complaints about the vinyl quality. Apart from the obviously superior bigger LP sleeve, why oh why would you? My CD (you can read about my purchase at HMV Oxford St earlier in this thread, other HMVs even worse it seems) hasn’t even been played yet because Qobuz’s 96/24 version sounds just fine, neither too loud nor at all crackly. And for some reason it has more music than the vinyl (nine minutes not at all challenging, even for vinyl). A smug digital fan writes!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #853 on: March 16, 2024, 08:31:51 PM »
A smug digital fan writes!

I bought the record so more money would go to Teenage Cancer. Your failure to do so means a cancer hospital somewhere probably can’t quite afford to buy a radiography machine.

Not so smug now are you matey boy! ;)

(In all seriousness I buy digital as well. But given the artwork the larger format is nice in this case.)

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #854 on: March 16, 2024, 08:40:07 PM »
OK, fair point. But I’ll make a charitable donation rather than buy the vinyl, only a small part of the cost benefitting the charity.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 39 queries.