Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project  (Read 70116 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: Teenage Cancer Trust /Buddy Holly Fundation charity project
« Reply #900 on: March 19, 2024, 06:20:26 PM »
I really LOVE the track. Got my hands on the 192/24 version and it's amazing when played loud on good speakers. I love the part between 7.30 and 9.00. The part around 8.30 is awesome (who is playing there?) Is that Eric? Slash?

I really can't imagine that people here just listen once and never again... impossible in my opinion. Just give it some more... air guitar time and head shaking guaranteed  ;)

I feel the same. The song has a lot of power and energy.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRail King

• Lady writer
« Reply #901 on: March 19, 2024, 06:24:48 PM »
I hope this recording will earn a lot of money for a very worthy cause, and I'll listen to it a couple more times simply because it's fun to detect this or that player.

The track is hardly an exciting new piece of music, however. It's about as exciting as a recording of an old song, heard a thousand times, with 60+ players can be.LIke We Are the World, it's more about the names and their marketing value than it is about the music. That's okay given the cause it serves. But I'm much, much more excited about the forthcoming album.

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #902 on: March 19, 2024, 10:00:04 PM »
The part around 8.30 is awesome (who is playing there?) Is that Eric? Slash?

I think it's Eric

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #903 on: March 19, 2024, 10:02:02 PM »
The 9.00 - 9.30 part is Peter Frampton i think. I read that Guy said that hey played the end.

Yes I read that too

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #904 on: March 19, 2024, 10:06:14 PM »
I just love that track.
Listened to it more than 15 times already.
Awesome. It is Guitar Heaven. That Line up. Just great
Love the quite beginning with MK, EC and DG.
But the end is really too short. It got rockier there with Satriani, Vai and Orianthi. Maybe also Slash and Morello
Well done Guy
Love will find a Way

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #905 on: March 20, 2024, 08:17:56 AM »
There are two things that bug me a little: The fact that it's called Mark Knopfler's Guitar Heroes and that it is his song they are playing. As long as the project earns money for the charities, who cares, but it's a bit much "Mark Knopfler". It can not be a coincidence that his new album is being released shortly after. If anything, his album should have been released before the GH single. And when they say the proceeds go to the charities, do the proceeds include royalties Mark earns from Going Home?

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #906 on: March 20, 2024, 09:22:23 AM »
Today the video
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #907 on: March 20, 2024, 10:05:39 AM »
There are two things that bug me a little: The fact that it's called Mark Knopfler's Guitar Heroes and that it is his song they are playing. As long as the project earns money for the charities, who cares, but it's a bit much "Mark Knopfler". It can not be a coincidence that his new album is being released shortly after. If anything, his album should have been released before the GH single. And when they say the proceeds go to the charities, do the proceeds include royalties Mark earns from Going Home?

Got a better idea for the name?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #908 on: March 20, 2024, 10:17:49 AM »

Guitar Heroes United
TCT All-Stars Band
Cancerbusters (not really ...)
Six-String Superstars

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #909 on: March 20, 2024, 10:47:57 AM »

Guitar Heroes United
TCT All-Stars Band
Six-String Superstars

The title is another one of many details that threw me off the boat completely. When I first saw it (and the idea), I could not believe my eyes. Mark Knopfler, who all his life never associated himself with guitar shredders, and would be the first to cringe after being called a "guitar hero", not only called them over to play together but called the group "Mark Knopfler's Guitar Heroes". I feel like an extraordinary title like this is too small for 1 track anyway, even if it's a world-record one.

It feels like everything in this project is purposefully done against the grain and all expectations in the hope that they'll get a lift off, and for the majority of people I think they succeeded. It does look cool, grandiose, impressive and grabs attention. The problem is with people who look past its goal. From the raw idea, the title, to the poorly executed cover picture, muddy mix, overproduced nature of it, immature ending with bashing drums, all these details, it just doesn't work for me.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #910 on: March 20, 2024, 10:53:08 AM »

Guitar Heroes United
TCT All-Stars Band
Six-String Superstars

Sorry, I think you misunderstood my question, I was asking if you had a better name, but all the examples you have provided are clearly worse :)

In all seriousness, when you are doing something like this press coverage and publicity is king. So it makes sense to make someone the focal point who will agree to go out and do press and media interviews as MK has done. And as for the new album, and the auction, well if MK is more visible for any reason then it's good publicity for the single. I seriously doubt anyone will buy MK's new album who hasn't already bought the charity single.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #911 on: March 20, 2024, 11:06:52 AM »
Sorry, I think you misunderstood my question, I was asking if you had a better name, but all the examples you have provided are clearly worse :)

In all seriousness, when you are doing something like this press coverage and publicity is king. So it makes sense to make someone the focal point who will agree to go out and do press and media interviews as MK has done. And as for the new album, and the auction, well if MK is more visible for any reason then it's good publicity for the single. I seriously doubt anyone will buy MK's new album who hasn't already bought the charity single.

Sorry for interrupting again, but I can't remember Live Aid being called "Bob Geldof's Music Legends". If you're the creator of something, it doesn't mean you need to put your name in everything you do, so the answer here is not as easy as it may seem. If anything, using MK's name is a BAD tool for PUBLICITY as the man purposefully ignored publicity and fame all his solo career, only one day to go out and promote "the biggest supergroup in history of music". That's why I said all the details about this project just throw me off. And NO VIDEO of musicians playing, this is also something I'll never understand.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #912 on: March 20, 2024, 11:27:55 AM »
Well, i'm glad most of us like it ;) I don't understand the 'muddy mix' at all. Because it isn't.. It's sounds clear. But again, your loss..
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #913 on: March 20, 2024, 11:34:17 AM »
The lack of a video is easy to understand.

The musicians go into their home studio and do a few passes and send the tracks to Guy. Guy takes them and edits them into the song, probably "comping" a few takes.

To ask the musicians to do a video is a whole different prospect. You either have to ask them to film the original time recording, or you have to ask them to be filmed miming to the finished product. Either way, you are talking about 60 x camera persons/lighting/make up whatever. Yes it's possible but it's not really practical, particularly in an age where basically very few people "pay" for music and the object of the exercise is to raise money for charity.

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #914 on: March 20, 2024, 11:56:48 AM »
I don't have any problem with the marketing, name, and concept of the whole thing. After listening to it about 20 times, I must admit that I totally love it. For me, these are some of the highlights:

- Jeff Beck intro, obviously.
- Mark playing the intro, and some other parts of the song.
- Clever how they extended the intro and kept it interesting (e.g. replacing Bm6/G# with E7)
- Some of the instantly recognizable licks from Clapton and Gilmour.
- I think at the start of the song we hear Ianto, and later on Ringo blends in? (a bit weird at 6:00 where the hi-hat comes in)
- 4:30 - 4:38, I don't know who it is, but it's just beautiful.
- 5:30 - 5:38, I love how this acoustic guitar comes in.
- 5:52 - 6:30, the slide guitar (Sonny Landreth, I think) is just amazing.
- 7:32, when Satriani comes in with a new melody and kicks off the final part of the song.
- Nice how they weren't afraid to change the progression of the song a bit in the final part (around 7:58 - 8:10 and on)
- The drum fill at 9:28 - 9:31 totally doesn't make sense 🤣

Mixing this must have been a nightmare, but given how much criticism Guy always gets, I think he did a marvelous job putting this thing together. I downloaded the 96/24 file (and ordered the LP), and it sounds great. You can say anything about his mixes, but they're definitely recognizable, especially the drums. The only thing I don't understand is that he sometimes ignores the harsh sound of Mark's clean tone. In this song, it's the F# on the fifth string (7th fret). Listen at 0:46. It almost hurts when I play the song loud. I know he does it intentionally (characteristics, no EQ, etc.), but I can play Chuck mixes as loud as I want and never be triggered by a specific painful note/tone.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:58:57 AM by TheTimeWasWrong »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.