Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Back in the Day on Spotify!  (Read 10965 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Onlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
Re: Back in the Day on Spotify!
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2022, 09:31:29 PM »
I miss Mark Knopfler doing Country/Rock or Folk/Celtic...

Me too, I think that is where his heart really is, and why I adore the Golden Heart album.

Indeed, more DWB please! ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D Nice to see you here again Jeff!

Thanks! I’m reading the forum quite often, but not such a poster. :lol But when reading about new releases, I’m triggered!

hunter

« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2022, 04:29:26 PM »
Oh, no, not the celtic stuff again. He did that to the max and then some.

I like it when Mark plays blues, jazzy stuff (though not Back In The Day so much), and country rock, but I'd love to hear something a little less polite and polished. I also think Mark's at his best doing melancholic and a little sinister/cynical material. That, with a sound similar to Dylan's Time Out of Mind, yes, please. (Sorry, Guy, that means adios to your pop inklings, synths and sound effects.) Dream on, right?

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2022, 04:33:59 PM »
Gator Blood had a rougher sound and it was OK but not amazing TBH...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2022, 04:48:01 PM »
Gator Blood had a rougher sound and it was OK but not amazing TBH...

Might have something to do with the icepick-to-your-eardrum slide sound LOL I don't think GB was a particular good song, though. (Bluebird I like a lot.)

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2022, 05:55:43 PM »
<(Sorry, Guy, that means adios to your pop inklings, synths and sound effects.
Oh yes please.
After his latest fine solo effort I'd like Guy to stick to that.
But it'll be Guy To The End!

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2022, 08:46:27 PM »
I miss Mark Knopfler doing Country/Rock or Folk/Celtic...

Me, too!!!
Mark is half a folky and that's what makes his style so unique. I hope we'll hear more of that on the new album. At least the collaboration with this pedal steel player (sorry, don't remember his name) gives hope.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2022, 08:52:26 PM »
Greg Leisz:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2022, 08:25:08 AM »
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2022, 05:27:17 PM »

I like it when Mark plays blues, jazzy stuff (though not Back In The Day so much), and country rock, but I'd love to hear something a little less polite and polished. I also think Mark's at his best doing melancholic and a little sinister/cynical material. That, with a sound similar to Dylan's Time Out of Mind, yes, please. (Sorry, Guy, that means adios to your pop inklings, synths and sound effects.) Dream on, right?

Many years ago I emailed Guy and asked him about Mark bringing in an outside producer to shake things up a little and maybe light a fire under Mark.  I threw the name Daniel Lanois out as an example.

To his credit, Guy replied that he would "love to have Daniel Lanois sort Mark out", and also that it would never happen.  Too bad.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2022, 10:18:12 PM »

Many years ago I emailed Guy and asked him about Mark bringing in an outside producer to shake things up a little and maybe light a fire under Mark.  I threw the name Daniel Lanois out as an example.

To his credit, Guy replied that he would "love to have Daniel Lanois sort Mark out", and also that it would never happen.  Too bad.

It says a lot. I don't think it's a bad thing, though... If Mark doesn't want it, so whatever. It may not work after all, no guarantee it will be great automatically. Maybe it's better for Mark to stick to his usual guns.

hunter

« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2022, 08:55:48 AM »

Really, "sort Mark out"? LOL I've also thought earlier that it'd be interesting to hear what a guy like Lanois could bring to the party. Maybe not as the main producer as the "Lanois stamp" can be a bit much sometimes and may not fit Mark's music that well, but as a co-producer? Definitely.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2022, 01:46:03 PM »
Bringing  in a completely new producer who you have not worked with before isn't always a good idea for an established artist. When Mike Oldfield stated making Tubular Bells 2 he had made a demo himself of what what become the 1st track of the album, Sentinel, but when producer Trevor Horn came onboard he changed it into something different, but still brilliant, but Mike did release part of his demo and called it Early Stages, and that sounds like it could have been amazing, fans have always wondered what the album would have sounded like without the influence of Trevor Horn. I just don't think Mark is the type of artist to try and work with a new producer, after Chuck Ainley it's been him and Guy.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2022, 03:19:04 AM »
When swing turned into bebop...

Yes. Early 1940s. Maybe Mark was thinking about Teddy Hill when he wrote this song.

I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

hunter

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2022, 04:47:21 AM »
When swing turned into bebop...

Yes. Early 1940s. Maybe Mark was thinking about Teddy Hill when he wrote this song.

My guess is Charlie Parker, one of the fathers of bebop. Parker grew up and played in the district Mark mentions, 18 th and Vine (in Kansas City).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 01:43:11 PM by hunter »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 45 queries.