Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: No Tour with the new album.  (Read 42728 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: No Tour with the new album.
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2023, 12:23:32 AM »
I've always thought these meet and greet events were just an "obligation" by the management to rake in some extra cash.
These events are the polar opposite of Mark's personality and you can see in all of them he always looks so uncomfortable, not knowing what to say.

Maybe they were tired of "informal" meet and greets, I mean on Mark's shows there is always somebody waiting for him to chat and sign stuff, so why not make it "official", so to speak? Nothing wrong with that. The funniest thing is that people usually get frozen when they see MK, which adds to his uncomfortable feeling I think.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2023, 12:56:14 AM »
But Bruce is also better than Mark at guitar throw  ;D

That did make me laugh. Lucky he didn't do more damage to the poor guitar tec.

Can you imagine mark EVER doing that with any instrument (with the exception of the pyroman bass!).

Now, this is kindof the problem - you need exceptions like that. Besides, with the Pyrobass the point was to break it at some point - Bruce is throwing guitars that someone is supposed to catch.

I don't know how often he destroys stuff on purpose, but he did "play" the guitar against the mic stand in Bergen in 2012 until some knobs etc fell off, paused the show, said "I broke my guitar!", continued with the song and threw it to the guitar tech when the song was over. Which is fine with me, I ASSUME it was repaired. Almost certainly it wasn't FUBAR - especially since he played it after it was "broken".

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2023, 02:43:28 AM »
But Bruce is also better than Mark at guitar throw  ;D

That did make me laugh. Lucky he didn't do more damage to the poor guitar tec.

Can you imagine mark EVER doing that with any instrument (with the exception of the pyroman bass!).

Now, this is kindof the problem - you need exceptions like that. Besides, with the Pyrobass the point was to break it at some point - Bruce is throwing guitars that someone is supposed to catch.

I don't know how often he destroys stuff on purpose, but he did "play" the guitar against the mic stand in Bergen in 2012 until some knobs etc fell off, paused the show, said "I broke my guitar!", continued with the song and threw it to the guitar tech when the song was over. Which is fine with me, I ASSUME it was repaired. Almost certainly it wasn't FUBAR - especially since he played it after it was "broken".

I think you missed my follow up comment knut. No one is accusing Bruce of deliberately damaging instruments in some kind of 'artistic statement' like Townsend did with the who. Its all for show and has been for decades. Its described on some fan pages as 'his signature guitar throw'.

Even the who used to cheat a little with their instrument smashing by going off stage at the end of a set, swapping to cheap instruments and coming back on to as it were 'give the audience what it wants '.

Especially true in the 70s when they were let's say very short of cash!

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2023, 11:21:11 AM »
That thing with the guitar is a part of the Springsteen stage-show. I´m of the opinion, Bruce loves his Fender Telecasters and Takamines, like Mark his guitars loves.  :think

Remember the old days of rock-music, where Jimi Hendrix burned his guitars on stage down with lighter-gasoline, or when Pete Townshend smashed his guitars into pieces, or damaging his amplifiers and loudspekers systematically to trash. Crazy, but they have enogh money for new or replacement instruments. Other example, just imagine the record-cover of The Clash´s London calling album.  ;D
We are fools to make war

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2023, 11:33:07 AM »

Remember the old days of rock-music, where Jimi Hendrix burned his guitars on stage down with lighter-gasoline, or when Pete Townshend smashed his guitars into pieces, or damaging his amplifiers and loudspekers systematically to trash. Crazy, but they have enogh money for new or replacement instruments. Other example, just imagine the record-cover of The Clash´s London calling album.  ;D

That doesn't make it OK to trash them!   I remember a documentary some years ago about Leo Fender and he was very angry about Jimi Hendrix setting light to his guitars!   Having enough money to replace them doesn't make it OK, at least not to me!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2023, 11:39:05 AM »
Hi superval, yes you are right with your thoughts. I also will never destroy any type of instruments, because every used instrument tells or keeps stories of the pre-owners.
The Who, for example, were a very rebellish rock-band and they lived that attitude on stage. Same thing with Jimi Hendrix´persona. MK or BS will never destroy only one of their private instruments for that reason. That doesn´t fit to their personas or characters. They didn´t need that form as a tool or as a special form of attitude to be cool in the music-community. They are grown up and well respected artists. 
We are fools to make war

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2023, 01:08:38 PM »
I've always thought these meet and greet events were just an "obligation" by the management to rake in some extra cash.
These events are the polar opposite of Mark's personality and you can see in all of them he always looks so uncomfortable, not knowing what to say.

MK never did those type of meet and greets.

These were always for invited guests, competition winners and the like.

I was lucky enough to attend one in Newcastle after a friend won a GF competition. It was one of the greatest moments of my life, and rest assured that MK was relaxed and happy :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2023, 02:59:59 PM »
speaking about Jimi and Pete, here is my chronicle about the famous Monterey event, published in 2017 :

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/culture/musique/rock/fender-reedite-la-mythique-guitare-brulee-il-y-a-50-ans-par-hendrix-a-monterey_3369119.html

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2023, 06:11:02 PM »
I wonder if this post by John is in any way related...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OnlineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2023, 07:35:39 PM »

Not sure how to take that post from JI
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflinePasc'

• Local Hero
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2023, 10:25:56 PM »
John Illsley : "It's been an enormous pleasure and privilege to have known Mark for over 46 years as a musician and wonderful friend."

... Il don't like to read this...  :hmm :think

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #131 on: February 24, 2023, 10:28:32 PM »

Not sure how to take that post from JI

Yeah, the post is so random and I also have no idea how to interpret it. They haven't played together for like... 20 years? So it's probably not about touring.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #132 on: February 24, 2023, 10:35:19 PM »
Just pure reflection. Beautiful reflection.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2023, 01:08:01 AM »

Yes, but a strange use of words.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2023, 01:46:32 AM »

Yes, but a strange use of words.

'To have known'....

Sounds in the past tense. Let's hope that's reading way too much into an innocent comment.

The demise of MK is a day I dread....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 39 queries.