Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits Legacy?  (Read 11475 times)

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: Dire Straits Legacy?
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2023, 06:26:46 PM »
I still think that to put  a good DS cover band you need a really good singer (or hire Mark himself  ;D ).
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2023, 06:30:51 PM »
I still think that to put  a good DS cover band you need a really good singer (or hire Mark himself  ;D ).

:thumbsup
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2023, 10:28:43 PM »

That's very important really.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2023, 10:29:06 PM »
The 96s are all successful in their own right.  They all have their own careers outside of Mark's band!   

I respect Richard as a guitarist and for his career but the 96ers have never been capable of reproducing a rock and roll sound like any DS incarnation.  Perhaps the main reason we haven't heard Private Investigations or TOL from them is that they sound more pipe and slippers than rock and roll. 
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2023, 01:28:33 AM »
I think Mark had success outside of DS. Have musicians from tribute bands been successful?

Success is relative. Given that he was the front man of DS and the only celebrity member because of that, it's not all that impressive. Maybe he doesn't care about the charts - but then again, who says the others do? I could easily see any musician, big name or not, doing it for the passion of the art rather than trying to "play the hitmaker game". And I think MK and the other DS members who made albums should be treated in the same fashion here.

If success is reflected by sales, MK has the best solo career - no doubt - but it's still nothing compared to the band Dire Straits, so we would have to admit it went downhill - bigtime - for everyone in that case. If success is not reflected by sales, then you need a different measurement. And "I like MK better" is not an objective criteria for success.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2023, 01:30:56 AM »
The 96s are all successful in their own right.  They all have their own careers outside of Mark's band!   

The same applies to the ex-DS-band members AFAIK. Sure, there are exceptions, but most of them are known for other things, also. And if you choose to step down from making music, then that's fair game, also.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2023, 01:43:30 AM »
A couple of remarks after reading this thread:

I'm sure DS was the peak of many band member's careers as musicians. But, although nobody has said it out loud yet, that also applies to Mark. Which might indicate something about the team effort in the DS project, that the contributions made by the others were actually quite important. If not, then why aren't the 96ers as successful? We can always laugh at the works of the old band members who are in tribute bands now, but it's not hard to look at the charts and realize that one should thread carefully - despite MK having a momentum from his name only the others can't match, not much of his solo stuff is appreciated outside of our little bubble. STP is the one exception, and MAYBE GH (but that could just as well be "leftover momentum" from BIA, just like OES sold way more than it deserved because people expected it to be as good as BIA).

And sure, it's fun to speculate about "the valley of Alan Clarks carreer". And then you listen to MFN from the 2019 tour, and realize that there are more people that might be down in the valley somewhere. Or even the albums. They're just not even close to as good as they were around 1996-2005.

Personally, I prefer to lift people up rather than tearing them down - but make no mistake. Just because we're on a MK fan forum, that doesn't mean you can't treat him like one of the tribute band guys and slap him around a bit. I like equal treatment :)

(and given the state of Mark nowadays, even if he had toured, you'd probably get a better DS sound elsewhere, anyway. It's like he's 15 years older than all the other guys.)

Being in a famous band is a peak for almost anyone, whether it's some Russian band, The Beatles, The Police, or anyone else. The power of the brand is always bigger than the power of the individual. What you do after this peak is another question... Mark and Sting were principal songwriters, so they can just continue doing what they were doing already with different musicians, which is more or less what happened.

Other musicians are almost guaranteed to fall into this tribute thing at some point or another. How you deal with it is the main challenge. I like how Steward Copeland instead of creating just another tribute band put out a show with an orchestra and 3 great singers "replacing" Sting and playing The Police songs. That's creative and original.

What was the problem for me and for a lot of people I know, was that DSL is just too simple of a concept. No imagination is needed. Take a great band with one of the most unique, irreplicable, and charismatic leaders who lead the band from a humble 4-piece outfit to an orchestra through his 60 songs, replace him, then find a couple of musicians who apparently made a solid impact on the band, and tour with it.

But all of a sudden, it turns out that it's not that easy to reproduce DS, and the project was almost bound to fail from the get-go. I'd rather leave tributes for non-band musicians and have Alan Clark touring with solo piano recitals playing DS music, than having this Frankenstein's monster of tribute bands, "original" "band members", former music legends and questionable marketing.

It might be that the tribute bands would be better off doing the "MK and the 96ers approach", which is to play some DS songs together with their own solo material. I mean, who knows, right?

MK is "looking forward only", but still insisted on playing DS songs despite all the solo tracks he could choose from. It's tempting to say his solo carreer is a "DS tribute band light" ;D. The big difference is that they never claimed to be a tribute band. That said, he has been branded as "the voice and guitar of Dire Straits", which sounds an awful lot like the same tricks the tribute bands try to pull.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2023, 01:48:58 AM »
A couple of remarks after reading this thread:

I'm sure DS was the peak of many band member's careers as musicians. But, although nobody has said it out loud yet, that also applies to Mark. Which might indicate something about the team effort in the DS project, that the contributions made by the others were actually quite important. If not, then why aren't the 96ers as successful? We can always laugh at the works of the old band members who are in tribute bands now, but it's not hard to look at the charts and realize that one should thread carefully - despite MK having a momentum from his name only the others can't match, not much of his solo stuff is appreciated outside of our little bubble. STP is the one exception, and MAYBE GH (but that could just as well be "leftover momentum" from BIA, just like OES sold way more than it deserved because people expected it to be as good as BIA).

And sure, it's fun to speculate about "the valley of Alan Clarks carreer". And then you listen to MFN from the 2019 tour, and realize that there are more people that might be down in the valley somewhere. Or even the albums. They're just not even close to as good as they were around 1996-2005.

Personally, I prefer to lift people up rather than tearing them down - but make no mistake. Just because we're on a MK fan forum, that doesn't mean you can't treat him like one of the tribute band guys and slap him around a bit. I like equal treatment :)

(and given the state of Mark nowadays, even if he had toured, you'd probably get a better DS sound elsewhere, anyway. It's like he's 15 years older than all the other guys.)

I might just agree with you if they were touring playing their own songs, but they are playing MK's songs with an Italian singer/guitarist!   Also regarding preferring to lift people up rather than tearing them down, you are doing the very best you can to tear MK down and he is the one who wrote all of the songs.  Unbelievable!    Without MK's songs DSL would be nowhere!

I'm well aware of the fact that I'm playing the same game. But then others might see how it looks and feels when people do exactly that, and hopefully learn from that experience. If you find it unpleasant, then remember that others might feel the same the next time Alan Clark or someone else is treated disrespectfully. And as I wrote in a different reply: although MK did play alot of his solo material live, he also included alot of DS songs. There's no reason why it's fine for HIM to do it, and not the others. Those who contributed to it, deserve to be allowed to play it live without being shamed for it.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2023, 02:00:39 AM »
That’s not the point here, at least not mine.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2023, 07:48:45 AM »

I respect Richard as a guitarist and for his career but the 96ers have never been capable of reproducing a rock and roll sound like any DS incarnation.  Perhaps the main reason we haven't heard Private Investigations or TOL from them is that they sound more pipe and slippers than rock and roll.

Mark's solo band was never intended to be a rock and roll band.   That was one of the reasons he ended DS - he wanted to play the kind of songs he wanted to play and so he searched for the most accomplished musicians he could find who could do that.  In my opinion he did an excellent job.   This band can play just about anything that is required of them and is certainly not a pipe and slippers band!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2023, 09:55:40 AM »

I disagree. MK's solo career has been unbelievably successful. He has released music that is markedly less commercial than DS, ie folky/country/celtic tinged stuff, dropped virtually all of the songs that made him successful, and right up to 2019 was still filling the kind of venues he would be filling if he had kept DS going (he plays similar sized venues to Clapton for example).

I genuinely think that many of his peers must look at him, filling arenas playing new, uncommercial material and being very jealous, wondering how he pulled that off when they are still playing the same greatest hits they have played for 50 years.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2023, 09:57:46 AM »
But all of a sudden, it turns out that it's not that easy to reproduce DS, and the project was almost bound to fail from the get-go.

The project hasn't failed, the project was to earn a living going out playing DS songs, they have done that and it has been highly successful. They play some massive shows.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2023, 12:42:45 PM »
But all of a sudden, it turns out that it's not that easy to reproduce DS, and the project was almost bound to fail from the get-go.

The project hasn't failed, the project was to earn a living going out playing DS songs, they have done that and it has been highly successful. They play some massive shows.

I won't say to earn a living as far as most of them are session players currently working, quite a lot under Trevor Horn wings and different Italian producers and artists, I would say they do extra cash when they have gaps on their recording schedule.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2023, 12:46:41 PM »

OK, contributing to a living then, I doubt it is a single source of income for any of them (but neither was DS). I have no info but I doubt there is much money in session fees these days when no one pays for music, live is where the money is.

I won't say to earn a living as far as most of them are session players currently working, quite a lot under Trevor Horn wings and different Italian producers and artists, I would say they do extra cash when they have gaps on their recording schedule.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2023, 01:18:50 PM »

I'm as always not saying enough information to convey my position lol. I mean fail not financially, they obviously earn some coins while at it. But fail in the eyes of fans like me. At this point, I would go to almost any DS tribute band's show in the world BUT DSL, simply because of their attitude. Even Mark's harshest and most insulting song to date hasn't made them any less full of themselves. And this "three-chord trick" answer to MK... Oh, come on, I just can't take them seriously.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 39 queries.