Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits Legacy?  (Read 11465 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Dire Straits Legacy?
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2023, 02:15:04 PM »
Yeah, I used to share that view but I guess I'm mellowing with age, if fans go and have a good time then I don't really care.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2023, 06:50:39 PM »
Dire Straits would have gone on If Mark had wanted to.

Because Mark wanted something different with the 96er, they are not a Dire Strais bis.

Ther are something else.

But to say they can't rock, well listen them perform live TR in 1996 or Boom or Like That in 2005.

All of the original 96er have a career outside Mark. They are professionnal hired guns.

And they sounds the way Mark ask them.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2023, 07:34:26 PM »
But all of a sudden, it turns out that it's not that easy to reproduce DS, and the project was almost bound to fail from the get-go.

The project hasn't failed, the project was to earn a living going out playing DS songs, they have done that and it has been highly successful. They play some massive shows.

OK, contributing to a living then, I doubt it is a single source of income for any of them (but neither was DS). I have no info but I doubt there is much money in session fees these days when no one pays for music, live is where the money is.

I won't say to earn a living as far as most of them are session players currently working, quite a lot under Trevor Horn wings and different Italian producers and artists, I would say they do extra cash when they have gaps on their recording schedule.

I guess that's the reason they do as much gigs as they can, as long as there is a demand to listen to DS music played by ex DS members.

Imagine if they would had a main singer and guitarist from the UK, like Terence Reiss from the first version of their band instead of an Italian singer.

By the way, I'm attending their Alicante gig this Saturday. Quite curious to see how they are live in person.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2023, 07:34:32 PM »
The 96s are all successful in their own right.  They all have their own careers outside of Mark's band!   

I respect Richard as a guitarist and for his career but the 96ers have never been capable of reproducing a rock and roll sound like any DS incarnation.  Perhaps the main reason we haven't heard Private Investigations or TOL from them is that they sound more pipe and slippers than rock and roll.

Mark's solo band was never intended to be a rock and roll band.   That was one of the reasons he ended DS - he wanted to play the kind of songs he wanted to play and so he searched for the most accomplished musicians he could find who could do that.  In my opinion he did an excellent job.   This band can play just about anything that is required of them and is certainly not a pipe and slippers band!

Unless I'm mistaken he disbanded DS because "it got too big."  To me that's really saying that the pressure to produce another commercially successful album and tour was too much.  There's nothing really wrong with that (although people are paid far less money for far greater pressure) and his solo albums have indeed enabled him to keep the low-key profile he so craves.  He's still making music but not having the fame he had with DS - best of both worlds.

He hired Nashville musicians then recorded all but one of his albums in the UK.  Crazy decision for me when there are so many great musicians here that could do what he wanted, would be ready at the drop of a hat for recording at BG (not just phoning it in) and that would likely suit his music better than a country Nashville type. I'm not saying they can't play what he wants but they are clearly more at home with the stuff he churns out nowadays.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 07:39:18 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2023, 07:40:58 PM »
The 96s are all successful in their own right.  They all have their own careers outside of Mark's band!   

I respect Richard as a guitarist and for his career but the 96ers have never been capable of reproducing a rock and roll sound like any DS incarnation.  Perhaps the main reason we haven't heard Private Investigations or TOL from them is that they sound more pipe and slippers than rock and roll.

Mark's solo band was never intended to be a rock and roll band.   That was one of the reasons he ended DS - he wanted to play the kind of songs he wanted to play and so he searched for the most accomplished musicians he could find who could do that.  In my opinion he did an excellent job.   This band can play just about anything that is required of them and is certainly not a pipe and slippers band!

Unless I'm mistaken he disbanded DS because "it got too big."  To me that's really saying that the pressure to produce another commercially successful album and tour was too much.  There's nothing really wrong with that (although people are paid far less money for far greater pressure) and his solo albums have indeed enabled him to keep the low-key profile he so craves.  He's still making music but not having the fame he had with DS - best of both worlds.

He hired Nashville musicians then recorded all but one of his albums in the UK.  Crazy decision for me when there are so many great musicians here that could do what he wanted, would be ready at the drop of a hat for recording at BG (not just phoning it in) and that would likely suit his music better than a country Nashville type. I'm not saying they can't play what he wants but they are clearly more at home with the stuff he churns out nowadays.

Not one. Golden Heart and Sailing To Philadelphia are not just UK ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2023, 07:49:56 PM »

I did say ONE of the reasons!   He doesn't churn out stuff either - 4 years is a long time!    ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 08:14:18 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2023, 09:43:40 PM »

The 96ers are his core band and don't forget the folkies he added.
Mark would not use them for so long if they could not deliver what he is looking for.
Remember how  Mark developped  Marbletown live for example.

And with all respect, regarding session musician, I think you can't find better places than Nashville and LA when you need some top hired guns.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2023, 09:47:19 PM »

He doesn't churn out stuff either - 4 years is a long time!    ;)
[/quote]

Ha ha!  That was a little tongue in cheek.   ;D

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2023, 09:53:33 PM »

Mark would not use them for so long if they could not deliver what he is looking for.

And with all respect, regarding session musician, I think you can't find better places than Nashville and LA when you need some top hired guns.

I know exactly what you mean and I will acknowledge some of the very best live and work in Nashville, however that doesn't mean it should be the basis for starting a band or that they will be the best for playing the type of music he is going to be playing live.  It's like building a football team with 11 top class players but no thought of them being able to form a team or being able to play together.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2023, 10:57:05 PM »

I know exactly what you mean and I will acknowledge some of the very best live and work in Nashville, however that doesn't mean it should be the basis for starting a band or that they will be the best for playing the type of music he is going to be playing live.  It's like building a football team with 11 top class players but no thought of them being able to form a team or being able to play together.

I think the single reason for the formation of the band Mark ended up playing with is they're all multi-instrumentalists. Everybody plays everything, so it's not a 20-piece orchestra. Richard plays a whole truckload of instruments, Glenn plays every bass imaginable, keyboard players can play the organs, accordions, guitars, synths, percussion and pianos, and so on. Mark went a little over the top with multi-instrumentalists in my opinion, but probably for a reason. His music is pretty diverse, too.

The only non-multi-instrumentalist in Mark's band is probably the drummer. Or, they should sing, too!

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2023, 11:02:54 PM »
The 96er are not a band of their own.

They are top musician playing for Mark

Are they are not into a competition, they are not to be the "best team" against another band.

They are to match Mark expectations.

I don't how they were recruited but GH sessions featured a lot more  men and Mark even used an all british band at some point.

Mark could have changed most of his backing member over the years but did not so I guess Mark was happy with them.

My personnal view is another thing.
To me the best line up were 1996 and 2005.
Then it turned a bit too folky for my taste but it was Mark decision.
2019 featuring the horn section was interesting but halas this came too late to get the real potential.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2023, 09:50:47 AM »
I think the only reason MK keeps calling the Nashville musicians is because they are friends...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2023, 10:27:25 AM »
I think the only reason MK keeps calling the Nashville musicians is because they are friends...

And also because they do a great job?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2023, 10:29:28 AM »

I don't think Mark hads much to do with it. Someone pointed out to GF a while back that they had more or less copped the arrangement from some bluegrass band and the further development was surely led by John's little fiddle break.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2023, 11:01:42 AM »

I don't think Mark hads much to do with it. Someone pointed out to GF a while back that they had more or less copped the arrangement from some bluegrass band and the further development was surely led by John's little fiddle break.

I'm sure that John and Mike were involved with the development of Marbletown and MK used it to showcase their talent.
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 39 queries.