Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Guy's Forum  (Read 599551 times)

Love Expresso

Re: Guy's Forum
« Reply #1800 on: September 24, 2021, 08:32:48 AM »
You can spend tens of thousands on excellent equipment, but in the end, it all depends on your ears and your habits. I guess the generation that grew up with CD is just used to it and configurated on it.
Vinyl only sounds better than CD  with a really good equipment. CD sounds good even on a crappy playing device.

LE
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:35:32 AM by Love Expresso »

hunter

« Reply #1801 on: September 24, 2021, 08:58:55 AM »
You can spend tens of thousands on excellent equipment, but in the end, it all depends on your ears and your habits. I guess the generation that grew up with CD is just used to it and configurated on it.
Vinyl only sounds better than CD  with a really good equipment. CD sounds good even on a crappy playing device.

LE

Most people just put their hifi system in the room without much consideration as to where it sounds best. Usually the aesthetic aspects are more important (especially to women), but without proper placement of the speakers and the right listening position, the audio quality will suffer. And you're right, for vinyl to sound really good, there are so many more factors to consider. CDs and digital files are much easier to deal with. A good DAC, a decent stereo amplifier and a set of decent speakers that match the amplifier, are well-suited to the room and properly placed, then you're pretty much set.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1802 on: September 24, 2021, 09:09:37 AM »

LE

Most people just put their hifi system in the room without much consideration as to where it sounds best. Usually the aesthetic aspects are more important (especially to women), but without proper placement of the speakers and the right listening position, the audio quality will suffer. And you're right, for vinyl to sound really good, there are so many more factors to consider. CDs and digital files are much easier to deal with. A good DAC, a decent stereo amplifier and a set of decent speakers that match the amplifier, are well-suited to the room and properly placed, then you're pretty much set.

Yesterday you were telling us that you could hear your CDs rotating.   Maybe your CD player is too close to your listening position!  Just a thought.  I am a woman btw!  :o
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1803 on: September 24, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »
If you can hear a disc spinning surely you are listening too quietly.  :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #1804 on: September 24, 2021, 10:26:47 AM »
Exactly, you should not be listening to the drums at the start of Money For Nothing quietly.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

hunter

« Reply #1805 on: September 24, 2021, 11:41:43 AM »
I am a woman btw!  :o

I know. It wasn't directed at you  ;)  Just pointed out the fact that optimal audio quality often isn't possible in a regular room because of the Wife Acceptance Factor.

I don't have a CD player at the moment, but when I did, I kept in a cabinet with a glass door to avoid hearing it. The cabinet is about four meters away from my listening position.

hunter

« Reply #1806 on: September 24, 2021, 11:45:13 AM »
If you can hear a disc spinning surely you are listening too quietly.  :)

I respect my neighbors, man :) Plus I honestly don't like loud listening levels. I mean, it can be fun for a short while, to feel the thump, but I prefer more moderate levels. Less fatiguing, and you pick up a lot more details in the music.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1807 on: September 24, 2021, 12:03:02 PM »
I am a woman btw!  :o

I know. It wasn't directed at you  ;)  Just pointed out the fact that optimal audio quality often isn't possible in a regular room because of the Wife Acceptance Factor.

Yes, I know it wasn't directed at me, but it isn't just men who want good audio quality and it isn't just women who want their surroundings looking nice.   I like my home looking as nice as possible, but my speakers are not hidden behind the sofa - they are in the best possible position for good sound and I happen to like the look of them too!    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1808 on: September 24, 2021, 12:23:55 PM »
I know hunter is generalising but it's my experience as well, at least with my now ex wife!

hunter

« Reply #1809 on: September 24, 2021, 12:25:54 PM »
Of course there are exceptions. Both ways. But I think it's quite obvious what the gender distribution is like if you consider the subsribers of House & Garden versus Stereophile  ;D

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1810 on: September 24, 2021, 12:27:08 PM »
I'm also on the Steve Hoffman forum, which is basically audiophile forum, and it seems to be exclusively men!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1811 on: September 24, 2021, 12:28:43 PM »
Of course there are exceptions. Both ways. But I think it's quite obvious what the gender distribution is like if you consider the subsribers of House & Garden versus Stereophile  ;D

I'm very fortunate that myself and my husband have very similar tastes in house and garden - music too, but he does have his man-cave which helps!    :)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 12:31:52 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #1812 on: September 24, 2021, 12:41:45 PM »
I'm also on the Steve Hoffman forum, which is basically audiophile forum, and it seems to be exclusively men!

Actually this forum is mainly male-orientated ratio 4:1 at the moment.   
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #1813 on: September 24, 2021, 12:53:05 PM »
It's a dog-gone sausage fest.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #1814 on: September 24, 2021, 12:54:13 PM »

Actually this forum is mainly male-orientated ratio 4:1 at the moment.

Again generalising, probably the case with most online forums, except mumsnet.

Men tend to be nerds!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 51 queries.