Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 349655 times)

Offlinecaci99

• Guitar George
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #210 on: December 16, 2017, 12:05:48 PM »
From all the names mentioned as Dire Straits members, not once was called Terry Williams, even from jbaent  :lol. Love that guy and he brought to alchemy and that period.
Anyway, glad that Dire Straits are now included into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. When will be Mark Knopfler be included for his solo career though?  :P
don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #211 on: December 16, 2017, 12:21:27 PM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/dire-straits-john-illsley-on-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-w514034

Nice interview with John.
After reading this interview, I'm pretty certain if they do play it's going to be Mark, John, Guy, David and Pick.  No way they'll want to play with Clark.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

I suspect that Mark would like to go. He's shown up for lesser awards, why not for this one? What will be interesting, though, is what happens if Alan Clark decides to go, too ...
Valid point, he goes to many

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #212 on: December 16, 2017, 02:29:54 PM »
From all the names mentioned as Dire Straits members, not once was called Terry Williams, even from jbaent  :lol. Love that guy and he brought to alchemy and that period.
Anyway, glad that Dire Straits are now included into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. When will be Mark Knopfler be included for his solo career though?  :P

Because the hall of fame induction says clearly that the members inducted are Mark, John, David, Alan and Guy.

And if you think it right, Terry was only a member during two tours, he only played drums in the Twisting by the pool EP and in walk of life and the mfn intro in BiA record. He didn't recorded any DS studio record in full, or even in half... Just four complete songs and a intro...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #213 on: December 16, 2017, 07:39:25 PM »

Because the hall of fame induction says clearly that the members inducted are Mark, John, David, Alan and Guy.

And if you think it right, Terry was only a member during two tours, he only played drums in the Twisting by the pool EP and in walk of life and the mfn intro in BiA record. He didn't recorded any DS studio record in full, or even in half... Just four complete songs and a intro...

True, and I really like Omar Hakim's work on BIA too.  I must say that I do feel so sorry for Terry as he was such a big part of the music I listen to on a daily basis and DS at their peak.  I don't think albums matter as much as tours tbh and Terry was present for DS most important era.  He also appears to be a nice guy.  They do say nice guys finish last.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:42:17 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #214 on: December 16, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »
Terry Williams is, to me, the DS drummer. He was a key element when DS turned into the great rock and roll band they were between 1982 and 1986, his addition, together with Alan Clark and Hal Lindes changed the band.

Is one of those strange stories that he didn't play drums in any DS record more than one song and an intro in BIA and three straight rock songs in an EP, and is still consider by many of the fans as "the drummer".

But it looks the Hall Of Fame stablish that the inducted members had to feature in at least two records, that's why they are MK, David, John, Pick, Alan and Guy alone.

Offlinecaci99

• Guitar George
« Reply #215 on: December 16, 2017, 08:21:21 PM »

It was a tongue in cheek comment  ;).
Omar Hakim did a great job too now that it was mentioned, superb I must say. Mark got pretty much the best bunch of musician through out his career except for a rhythm guitar until Richard Bennett came to scene in my opinion.
don't crash the ambulance, whatever you do

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2017, 09:12:23 PM »
Omar Hakim did a great job too now that it was mentioned, superb I must say. Mark got pretty much the best bunch of musician through out his career except for a rhythm guitar until Richard Bennett came to scene in my opinion.

It's still funny to me to see MONSTER jazz guitar player like Richard strumming a couple of chords in most of Mark's songs with a rare stuff like 1 chorus solo in Romeo or guitar duel in Diamond. The rhythm guitarist is an overkill for sure, but the rest of the guys are fabulous. Mark should get Tommy Emmanuel to play the rhythm guitar in his band :lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #217 on: December 16, 2017, 11:15:17 PM »
Lol I'm literally dying out of laughing from this article.

bassist John McIllsley reveals...

http://iloveclassicrock.com/dire-straits-rock-hall-reunion-ultimately-comes-down-to-one-thing-and-its-not-looking-good/

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #218 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:55 AM »
If McIllsley attend, they will play. Mk loves to play with the MC's  ;D

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #219 on: December 17, 2017, 08:59:57 AM »
LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Weren't McGoldie and  McCuskie also DS Members???
In April maybe they  are

Good one
Love will find a Way

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #220 on: December 17, 2017, 10:45:20 AM »
Terry Williams is, to me, the DS drummer. He was a key element when DS turned into the great rock and roll band they were between 1982 and 1986, his addition, together with Alan Clark and Hal Lindes changed the band.

Is one of those strange stories that he didn't play drums in any DS record more than one song and an intro in BIA and three straight rock songs in an EP, and is still consider by many of the fans as "the drummer".

But it looks the Hall Of Fame stablish that the inducted members had to feature in at least two records, that's why they are MK, David, John, Pick, Alan and Guy alone.
I like Terry a lot. But...
I currently listen to Paris 16.06.81 (excellent recording by a qualified taper and top-notch equipment) and I was thinking that the common view on AMIT is that Pick was best-suited for intimate concerts and Terry best suited for stadium rock concerts; but frankly... Anything wrong with Pick's druming in 81, even though there already were keyboards and huge venues ? And already Telegraph Road and part of Private Investigations (at the end of the faboulus "News", turned into an epic masterpiece with Hammond Organ) ?
Had Pick stayed for the LOG tour after the recording of the LOG album, I'm pretty sure Alchemy would have sounded as terrific as it actually is, if not more subtle drumming :) I heard drummers say that Terry did not handle TOL's drumming section in the middle as well as Pick did...
I think Pick stated somewhere that Mark was adding more and more keyboards (and it's true that Mark added one keyboardist between 81 and 82), and that he felt that it would be at the expense of drums... Some people say that's also why most songs from the 2 firsts albums were sadly dropped after 81 (save for Sultans, OUATITW and Portobello Belle, as well as Wild West End, Water of Love and Setting me Up sometimes). Anybody has any insight about this ? Did Pick prefer that more stripped-down playing of '78 and '79 over the keyboards-"enhanced" (for the best, like News and WDYTYRG, or the worst, or at least strange, like In the Gallery and Single Handed Sailor or even Sultans in 80/81 were the keyboards are so cheesy) ?

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #221 on: December 17, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »

Is this a firm rule written in stone ?
Hal has two albums with DS: Log and Alchemy, which is even a double album. So live albums don't count ?
Terry also has two albums, but one his live and the other a strange thing, kind of a small studio album never released on CD. No luck for him...
Omar has only one studio album.
Let's not talk about Jack Soni, Phil Palmer, Chris White, Joop de Korte, Chris Witten, Danny K and Paul Franklin then... :)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #222 on: December 17, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
I don't know if that rule is written in stone but apparently applies in DS case and they are only considering the studio albums.

Kind of fair to me, live albums are a portrait of a tour that is also a portrait of the studio albums, so the main production of a band looks like is considered to be the studio albums.

Offlinebinone

• Lady writer
« Reply #223 on: December 17, 2017, 07:48:21 PM »

Hal has two albums with DS: Log and Alchemy, which is even a double album. So live albums don't count ?
Terry also has two albums, but one his live and the other a strange thing, kind of a small studio album never released on CD. No luck for him...
Let's not talk about Jack Soni, Phil Palmer, Chris White, Joop de Korte, Chris Witten, Danny K and Paul Franklin then... :)

You mean 17.6.81, don´t you?

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #224 on: December 17, 2017, 08:02:25 PM »

You mean 17.6.81, don´t you?
Yes, sorry, 17.07.81
This is my favorite recording from the period, as it was made by a good taper, with full info on the equipment used (Sony tc-5dm, the Rolls-Royce of the time). Amazing that even in 1981 you could get quality recordings ! And these audience recordings are all what we have...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 37 queries.