Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 342786 times)

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #225 on: December 17, 2017, 08:07:04 PM »
Yes, a masterpiece. sounds nearly as a Soundboard, and a marvelous playing by the band.  :thumbsup

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #226 on: December 17, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
Yes, a masterpiece. sounds nearly as a Soundboard, and a marvelous playing by the band.  :thumbsup
Yes, indeed. Actually a good audience recording is better than a poorly mixed soundboard I think.
"News" with Hammond Organ is heartbreaking, a little tune turned into an epic Masterpiece.
TR is still in infancy, but so nice to hear this new, freash version.
Skateway... should have stayed in the setlist.
TOL was already well developped.
I have yet to decide whether I prefer the keyboard-enhanced versions of DTTW, Lions and WDYTYRG over the more stripped-down version of 78/79. All are great actually. What do you think ?

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #227 on: December 17, 2017, 09:21:01 PM »
Yes, indeed. Actually a good audience recording is better than a poorly mixed soundboard I think.
"News" with Hammond Organ is heartbreaking, a little tune turned into an epic Masterpiece.
I have yet to decide whether I prefer the keyboard-enhanced versions of DTTW, Lions and WDYTYRG over the more stripped-down version of 78/79. All are great actually. What do you think ?

I totally share your opinion. Also, this gave me the opportunity to enjoy once more of this reccording I had little forgotten.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #228 on: December 17, 2017, 09:39:59 PM »

I totally share your opinion. Also, this gave me the opportunity to enjoy once more of this reccording I had little forgotten.
:) great if I made you listen to it again !
My question actually was: how do you prefer the songs from the first 2 DS albums ? stripped-down as in 78/79, or more developped with keyboards as in 80/81 ?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #229 on: December 17, 2017, 09:44:22 PM »
Terry Williams is, to me, the DS drummer. He was a key element when DS turned into the great rock and roll band they were between 1982 and 1986, his addition, together with Alan Clark and Hal Lindes changed the band.

Is one of those strange stories that he didn't play drums in any DS record more than one song and an intro in BIA and three straight rock songs in an EP, and is still consider by many of the fans as "the drummer".

But it looks the Hall Of Fame stablish that the inducted members had to feature in at least two records, that's why they are MK, David, John, Pick, Alan and Guy alone.
Is this a firm rule written in stone ?
Hal has two albums with DS: Log and Alchemy, which is even a double album. So live albums don't count ?
Terry also has two albums, but one his live and the other a strange thing, kind of a small studio album never released on CD. No luck for him...
Omar has only one studio album.
Let's not talk about Jack Soni, Phil Palmer, Chris White, Joop de Korte, Chris Witten, Danny K and Paul Franklin then... :)

You mean 17.6.81, don´t you?
Yes, sorry, 17.07.81
This is my favorite recording from the period, as it was made by a good taper, with full info on the equipment used (Sony tc-5dm, the Rolls-Royce of the time). Amazing that even in 1981 you could get quality recordings ! And these audience recordings are all what we have...
There are many amazing recordings from the 60ies and 70ies

sent from my Samsung galaxy 7edge via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #230 on: December 17, 2017, 09:54:38 PM »
Terry Williams is, to me, the DS drummer. He was a key element when DS turned into the great rock and roll band they were between 1982 and 1986, his addition, together with Alan Clark and Hal Lindes changed the band.

Is one of those strange stories that he didn't play drums in any DS record more than one song and an intro in BIA and three straight rock songs in an EP, and is still consider by many of the fans as "the drummer".

But it looks the Hall Of Fame stablish that the inducted members had to feature in at least two records, that's why they are MK, David, John, Pick, Alan and Guy alone.
Hal has two albums with DS: Log and Alchemy, which is even a double album. So live albums don't count ?
Terry also has two albums, but one his live and the other a strange thing, kind of a small studio album never released on CD. No luck for him...
Let's not talk about Jack Soni, Phil Palmer, Chris White, Joop de Korte, Chris Witten, Danny K and Paul Franklin then... :)

Yes, sorry, 17.07.81
This is my favorite recording from the period, as it was made by a good taper, with full info on the equipment used (Sony tc-5dm, the Rolls-Royce of the time). Amazing that even in 1981 you could get quality recordings ! And these audience recordings are all what we have...

Indeed, but prior to portable équipement such as Sony tc-d5m, you had to carry a heavy device, either cassette or reel-to-reel in the 60s. I'm not sure that it was easy to go through security with that, so I imagine less concerts were recorded :)

Love Expresso

« Reply #231 on: December 17, 2017, 10:31:37 PM »
Or less security... 

I have no clue what you are talking about ... could you share some of your exklusive Collector's Club knowledge with us ordinary guys ..? :wave

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #232 on: December 17, 2017, 10:44:27 PM »
Or less security... 

I have no clue what you are talking about ... could you share some of your exklusive Collector's Club knowledge with us ordinary guys ..? :wave

LE
Well it is only a matter of weight really.
You have had quality recorders since the 60s, but they were reel-to-reel (tapes not in a compact cassette) and a recorder could weight 10kg ! Then you had (trans)portable cassette recorders, 5kg, then real portable ones , less than 2kg (I believe the Sony tc-d5 in 1978 was the first), and then the Walkman series (like Sony wm-d6, almost pocketable in 1982). Then in 1988 came DAT, but that was really heavy and expensive, until the Sony tcd-d3 DAT Walkman in 1990. Then came DCC (a digital cassette, huge technical failure...advertised by Dire Straits on the OES tour), and minidic (less of a failure), both in 1992, until the pure digital recorders in use today.
But analog cassette does not mean bad... In fact some old quality analog recordings, properly transferred from a master cassette, can sound better than recent ones !

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #233 on: December 17, 2017, 10:50:17 PM »

Yes, sorry, 17.07.81

Indeed, but prior to portable équipement such as Sony tc-d5m, you had to carry a heavy device, either cassette or reel-to-reel in the 60s. I'm not sure that it was easy to go through security with that, so I imagine less concerts were recorded :)
There was the legendary taper whose name eludes me right now, but he faked being disabled and hid the equipment in his wheelchair. Added benefit was that he tended to be put in amazing viewing positions with less audience noise

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #234 on: December 17, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »

Yes, sorry, 17.07.81

There was the legendary taper whose name eludes me right now, but he faked being disabled and hid the equipment in his wheelchair. Added benefit was that he tended to be put in amazing viewing positions with less audience noise

Incredible ! :)
I don't know whether I should call this guy a bastard or a genius. Probably both :)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #235 on: December 17, 2017, 11:00:08 PM »
Or less security... 

LE
Well it is only a matter of weight really.
You have had quality recorders since the 60s, but they were reel-to-reel (tapes not in a compact cassette) and a recorder could weight 10kg ! Then you had (trans)portable cassette recorders, 5kg, then real portable ones , less than 2kg (I believe the Sony tc-d5 in 1978 was the first), and then the Walkman series (like Sony wm-d6, almost pocketable in 1982). Then in 1988 came DAT, but that was really heavy and expensive, until the Sony tcd-d3 DAT Walkman in 1990. Then came DCC (a digital cassette, huge technical failure...advertised by Dire Straits on the OES tour), and minidic (less of a failure), both in 1992, until the pure digital recorders in use today.
But analog cassette does not mean bad... In fact some old quality analog recordings, properly transferred from a master cassette, can sound better than recent ones !

I own the Sony wm-d6c and it is a fabulous machine to this day.  Connect it up to the amplifier and it plays to a professional standard through the speakers.

I owned the DAT you mentioned too but it developed a fault where the tape became tangled.  Heavy on the batteries; later version better in this respect.  Good system though.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #236 on: December 17, 2017, 11:01:53 PM »

[/quote]There was the legendary taper whose name eludes me right now, but he faked being disabled and hid the equipment in his wheelchair. Added benefit was that he tended to be put in amazing viewing positions with less audience noise

[/quote]
I don't know whether I should call this guy a bastard or a genius. Probably both :)
[/quote]

The former.  He sounds like he needs help to me.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #237 on: December 17, 2017, 11:06:25 PM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

The former.  He sounds like he needs help to me.
[/quote]He died. Leaving us with literally hundreds of immaculate recordings of all the major bands . He was of sound mind. I remember there is a documentary on YouTube bout him. Now I just need to find it

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #238 on: December 18, 2017, 12:09:08 AM »
https://monoskop.org/images/a/a4/Heylin_Clinton_Bootleg_The_Secret_History_of_the_Other_Recording_Industry.pdf
interesting PDF on bootlegs,

The taper you mean is Mike Millard by any chance?
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #239 on: December 18, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »
By the way - I know there is a version of it, that is "enhanced" by Enlight, but the torrent is dead on the Knopfler TK, and it is not on your repository as well. Do you know where I could find it ? And do you know how "enhanced" it is ? It is almost perfect as it is, I just notice one channel was down for a while during TR... Does the new version correct that ?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 39 queries.