Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rock and roll hall of fame  (Read 350918 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Rock and roll of fame
« Reply #330 on: January 19, 2018, 02:01:24 PM »
Everything comes at a price and "everybody pays".

No one asks (and is entitled to ask) what it cost MK to be where he is today.
Yes he has talent, but no one sees the hard work he put into it over all those years.
Sooo many songs he writes tell the story of what it cost him...

And David, too, must pay the price for his decisions in life and must live with the consequences.
I have heard enough bad words from him over the years to not trust his words now around the April date.

Yeah, I struggle and can barely even try to imitate only what Mark did on acoustic guitar. Not only you need to write all the songs, arrange songs, find people to play songs, you need to put songs in fan's hands as brilliant as he and his team did it from day one. Overall given his amount of work he deserves even more than he have now, but in his own words, "the reality is never like your dream". So who knows what MK is really dreaming of? Can you imagine it? I can't.

David's situation is so unique that I can't even discuss it. You admire him very much and kind of sorry for him at the same time, wishing he would have the other surname so to not to be regarded as "the other Knopfler". Wish he would have a solid fan base which doesn't even know who his brother is. Either that, or them performing together. All in between is a disaster from the start to me. Unless he would be as talented and prolific like his sibling (think Gibb or Everly brothers).

The break up of all the relationships based on love is just a matter of time. Lennon and McCartney, Simon and Garfunkel and many other non English-speaking artists, brothers and partners usually part in a bad way, because of their affection. Family-wise or friend-wise it doesn't matter, but surely it won't last forever. You're supposed to base your relationships on mutual respect.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #331 on: January 19, 2018, 05:32:08 PM »
Ok, just my two cents on what triggered off the whole issue between the Knopflers - and based on the very little I know about it and bands in general.

It's easy to tell Mark is a genius and David isn't. I'm not saying David isn't talented, he is, but compared to Mark he's just a good musician. It was also pretty evident that DS was MK and MK was DS, from the get go. David then had two options, he could have either accepted it like John did or fought it and eventually drop out to seek a solo career, which is what he ended up doing.

Putting it this way it looks like a no-brainer to me. My brother is one of the best musicians the world has ever seen! I'll stick around and serve his music, leading a comfortable life, playing my guitar around the world - and if at some point I feel like doing my own little thing I'll just use some of all this money I've made, record a solo album, put on a tour of some sort and then back to DS for another album, another tour, stability and so on. Sounds perfect, but... we do not know what it was like for David to be in the band at that time. What we do know really well by now is that Mark was a bit of a tyrant back then and it's quite likely that he would bully his little brother around.

At this point, assuming all the above is true, David decides to take another path and the rest is history. Or maybe David just wasn't ready to take the passenger's seat and let Mark do all the driving. So many variables...

In the end I just hope they leave whatever happened behind and allow themselves to be brothers in a broader sense again.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 05:34:23 PM by ed_raposo »
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #332 on: January 19, 2018, 05:39:36 PM »
All agreeable but maybe the key is another

When did David leave ? Not in 1994, Not in 1986, not even in 1984, but in 1980

At that time it was not necessarily clear how big Dire Straits would have become later and this might have led him to take the wrong decision that with hindsight he would have never taken
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #333 on: January 19, 2018, 05:45:19 PM »
I didn't say that was what happened  :lol

As I said, just my two cents...
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #334 on: January 19, 2018, 06:23:38 PM »
I didn't say that was what happened  :lol

As I said, just my two cents...

of course
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #335 on: January 19, 2018, 06:40:13 PM »
Ok, just my two cents on what triggered off the whole issue between the Knopflers - and based on the very little I know about it and bands in general.

It's easy to tell Mark is a genius and David isn't. I'm not saying David isn't talented, he is, but compared to Mark he's just a good musician. It was also pretty evident that DS was MK and MK was DS, from the get go. David then had two options, he could have either accepted it like John did or fought it and eventually drop out to seek a solo career, which is what he ended up doing.

A lot of good points there Ed.  Seems David has a bigger ego than JI, so big that it wouldn't allow him to stay.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #336 on: January 19, 2018, 07:08:03 PM »

A lot of good points there Ed.  Seems David has a bigger ego than JI, so big that it wouldn't allow him to stay.
Hello everybody. Of course David has a bigger ego than JI because he is MK little Brother. They share the same parents and the same education !! Beside David started to be interested by the Music like Mark. But they didn't have the same talent and the same ambition unfortunately for David... I feel sorry for him because he has a lot of frustration..  I really hope that they are able now to talk again like brothers usually do!!!

Envoyé de mon Moto C Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #337 on: January 19, 2018, 07:16:59 PM »
http://www.cronacatorino.it/cultura-societa/intervista-david-knopfler-vorrei-lavorare-nuovo-mark.html

A new interview with David with some interesting stuff! It's in Italian, but I guess Google Translate can be used if you don't speak the language...

Among other things, he says he would like to work with his brother at least one more time before he dies.

I think it’s very nice of David to say it. He’s trying. But the truth is we don’t know much, perhaps he did something hard to be forgiven we don’t know about.

I hope they make peace though. It would be moving.
So do I!! I think David is really trying to send a message of peace to Mark. And yes Mark should consider to work with his little brother before he dies..  It has always been my point of view for a long time now..

But it's written in the starlight and every line on your palm, we're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

OfflineMarijo58

• Lady writer
« Reply #338 on: January 19, 2018, 07:21:04 PM »
It's touchIng to see all those little resemblances in gesture, laughing, facial expressions, habits.. they are brothers without a doubt! Obviously both have a lot of their Dad in them..

LE
True LE...

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #339 on: January 19, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
there, there... ::)
Mark himself explains some  at 28:57, you want to try?

I'm a six foot three albion but you can adjust the seat

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #340 on: January 19, 2018, 08:29:31 PM »
there, there... ::)
Mark himself explains some  at 28:57, you want to try?

Can you explain?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #341 on: January 19, 2018, 08:38:26 PM »
Wow ! A wonderful picture, fantastic sound !
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #342 on: January 19, 2018, 09:22:05 PM »
But if David never knew about how huge DS would eventually get, this again tells us about a some kind of pessimism. Like — you're not going to be big, so I leave and you do whatever you want to do next. Or it can be "You're going to be big and that's why I leave"? In this case it's a simple jealousy. Somehow not a single theoretical chain of events tells us about David's advantage. Which basically means that it was his fault.

Mark, in the other hand, obviously knew he could and will "make it". I think it's the most important thing about Mark which you can learn from him — 10000000% believing to yourself. It's like this quote which is often attributed to John Lennon, something like "talent is the ability to believe in yourself". David had enough confidence to leave and had reasons for it (like ignoring of his songwriting), but not enough confidence to continue. If they had one father it doesn't mean they're the same people, right?

And it's kind of sad, because I don't think you can learn this craft of being an optimist like Mark, it's not just saying "today is the best day in my life", it's actually feeling like so.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #343 on: January 19, 2018, 09:37:50 PM »

This documentary paints Mark Knopfler as an ignorant selfish monster, and the most funny thing is that he's getting painted by the people he doesn't work with anymore (David Knopfler and Ed Bicknell). Could it tell us something? I'm pretty sure it could. Like another old saying goes, "I don't have a bad temper — I have a temper". Creative people are often get in trouble communicating with people, because their partners often can't understand them, because they're on another level of thinking. One says "white" and the other says "black", you can't get something useful out of that combination.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #344 on: January 19, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »
Mark: "Just shut up!"

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 39 queries.